The online racing simulator
turbo tweaking [correct boost in LFS]
Just a simple suggestion which would make the game even better, when accelerating with a turbo'd car in LFS, half throttle doesn't seem to bring the car on boost (as it would in real life) it only triggers boost on full throttle, maybe a little re-look on how the boost is implemented in game wouldn't hurt
gd idea
they should make a boost control
boost control has already been suggested before, and i dont want to see that implemented as it could give an unfair advantage to some people. I agree about the turbo car's being improved though,
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :boost control has already been suggested before, and i dont want to see that implemented as it could give an unfair advantage to some people.

It wouldn't give anyone an advantage. But everyone would just run m@X b005t!!!111oneone, so it wouldn't be worthwhile to implement.
I think this should be implemented, but there should be turbo damage as well so if you run full boost too long your turbo would break down and you would lose power. Plus, on some tracks you may want less boost.
#6 - JTbo
Quote from The Architect :I think this should be implemented, but there should be turbo damage as well so if you run full boost too long your turbo would break down and you would lose power. Plus, on some tracks you may want less boost.

Why would turbo break down in high boost?
Quote from JTbo :Why would turbo break down in high boost?

In fact, the entire engine would break down. If boost pressure is too high and compresion haven't be reduced accordly to new boost pressure, the head gasket won't last much longer, the same for conrods and his bolts. Crankshaft get a great pain too. I saw a conrod get out of the engine block making a big hole on it!!

Many thing miss on turbo modelling, like first gear detection (real road cars have boost limited on 1st gear) and overboost (road cars usually have plus 0,2bar or so about 10 seconds, I think race cars have it too). I suppose devs know about this and will be implemented on future.
#8 - Jakg
#9 - JTbo
Quote from Haduken :In fact, the entire engine would break down. If boost pressure is too high and compresion haven't be reduced accordly to new boost pressure, the head gasket won't last much longer, the same for conrods and his bolts. Crankshaft get a great pain too. I saw a conrod get out of the engine block making a big hole on it!!

Many thing miss on turbo modelling, like first gear detection (real road cars have boost limited on 1st gear) and overboost (road cars usually have plus 0,2bar or so about 10 seconds, I think race cars have it too). I suppose devs know about this and will be implemented on future.

Yes, engine would get destroyed easily if you set boost too high, back pressure gets very high after exhaust side of turbo becomes small as there is only so much flow that can pass thru, this creates huge amount of heat and leads to engine failure, but that is not what I did ask, I did ask why turbo would break down, as I don't see logic behind that statement, usually there is lot of more parts gone before turbo
Quote from b00st_junk1e :Just a simple suggestion which would make the game even better, when accelerating with a turbo'd car in LFS, half throttle doesn't seem to bring the car on boost (as it would in real life) it only triggers boost on full throttle, maybe a little re-look on how the boost is implemented in game wouldn't hurt

Are you SURE that is how it is IRL?

I used to own.........a Renault 18 Turbo (back in the day), and I remember quite clearly that I had next to no boost until the engine was underload (which was normally near as dammit full throttle)
Quote from Haduken :

not all road cars have these features, in particular the starion which is the real world equivilent of the only turbo a demo user* will have experienced had no form of boost control apart from a wastegate and the turbo lag and reponse was pretty poor due to it being a pretty large unit, generally i found it took close on 3000 rpm and at least 3/4 throttle to get any boost. it did have a pretty neat feature though of a solenoid that locked over the throttle quadrent and physically prevented you opening the throttle fully till a certain engine temp was reached

* if your profile is incorrect and your a full user then the other turbo's probably do deserve these features
Quote from danowat :Are you SURE that is how it is IRL?

I used to own.........a Renault 18 Turbo (back in the day), and I remember quite clearly that I had next to no boost until the engine was underload (which was normally near as dammit full throttle)

tis true, the engine usually needs to be underload(ie, wot long enough to build up pressure) to get positive boost

at half throttle you'll get some but not alot, basically on my car it'll go from vacuum to a couple psi and sit steady if i don't give it alot

It could be tweaked a little, but it's not a big deal and it's pretty close to real life
On my brothers subaru (see avatar) if you hold the revs at a certain point e.g 4k, the pressure builds up a few p.s.i, but if you give it a quick blast of full throttle, the p.s.i shoots up. So, a few cars need full engine load to build up pressure, but not all
Quote from Nathan_French_14 :On my brothers subaru (see avatar) if you hold the revs at a certain point e.g 4k, the pressure builds up a few p.s.i, but if you give it a quick blast of full throttle, the p.s.i shoots up. So, a few cars need full engine load to build up pressure, but not all

What is "full load"?
Generally considered the maximum load the engine can accelerate - i.e. full throttle.
Quote from tristancliffe :Generally considered the maximum load the engine can accelerate - i.e. full throttle.

Wouldn't maximum load just be friction? Doesn't that mean that maximum load is *not* constant, and is equal to the torque output of the engine at a given RPM?
#17 - JTbo
Quote from danben7 :tis true, the engine usually needs to be underload to get positive boost

at half throttle you'll get some but not alot, basically on my car it'll go from vacuum to a couple psi and sit steady if i don't give it alot

It could be tweaked a little, but it's not a big deal and it's pretty close to real life

Impossible to say, if we have some antique T03 there it is just like LFS, imo. But with some modern VNT turbo you have boost almost from idle Add exhaust manifold etc. to play and we have whole lot of different ways how boost comes to play. I don't start to talk about spool times and such as that would probably just get most of board users bored even more.
Sure, you can have boost from idle, you can have boost from most of the rev range, as long as the engine is UNDER LOAD.

As I remember it, rev's (apart from boost tailing off towards the end of the rev range) had little to do with the amount of boost the turbo was giving, it was the load/amount of air/fuel mixture entering the engine and therefore throttle position and engine load that "controlled" the amount of boost.

All that said, it's been a while since I drove a turbo-charged car with a boost gauge (all my TD's have never had one), and the last one I personally owned was pretty low-tech even back in the 90's
#19 - JTbo
Quote from danowat :Sure, you can have boost from idle, you can have boost from most of the rev range, as long as the engine is UNDER LOAD.

As I remember it, rev's (apart from boost tailing off towards the end of the rev range) had little to do with the amount of boost the turbo was giving, it was the load/amount of air/fuel mixture entering the engine and therefore throttle position and engine load that "controlled" the amount of boost.

All that said, it's been a while since I drove a turbo-charged car with a boost gauge (all my TD's have never had one), and the last one I personally owned was pretty low-tech even back in the 90's

Boost does not come magically from somewhere, what comes in comes out and rotates compressor side of turbo via shaft and that creates boost. RPM does have significiant role in this, more rpm = more air going out = more rpm on turbo which is again more boost.

Load has not much to do with it, it is how much your throttle plate is open = how much exhaust gases are rotating turbo.

When engine is at idle, it is no throttle plate opened situation, no matter how you tamper with clutch and trying to load engine there is not going to be any more boost unless you don't touch the loud pedal

Some say that you can't built up boost when car is at neutral, well partly true, reason is that there is no time for turbo to spool up until revs are at limiter, when limiter cuts rpm there is again less exhaust gases to spin turbo and again less of boost possible.

If you are thinking maximum output, that is completely another subject
Maybe load isn't the correct word, but I know what I mean

edit: if you re-read my post, I did say it was to do with throttle opening and how much fuel/air mixture was passing through the engine, aswell as the load.
#21 - JTbo
Quote from danowat :Maybe load isn't the correct word, but I know what I mean

edit: if you re-read my post, I did say it was to do with throttle opening and how much fuel/air mixture was passing through the engine, aswell as the load.

I just fail to see how load has anything to do with it, load is just effort to resists engine rpm rise or something like that ?

As load resists rpm rise engine stays longer at certain rpm and then of course there is more time to boost come in, but load itself has nothing to do with that, it is only time that is factor here, or that is how I have learned it anyway

Well, main thing is that everyone understand how it works and uses boost enough often, no sissy accelerations without boost
Boost is directly related to the flow rate of the exhuast. Whatever causes the exhaust to flow faster increases boost.
#23 - JTbo
Quote from wheel4hummer :Boost is directly related to the flow rate of the exhuast. Whatever causes the exhaust to flow faster increases boost.

Yes, that is how it is when put in simple form
Quote from JTbo :Yes, that is how it is when put in simple form

And the faster the RPM, the faster the exhaust is flowing. The more you open the throttle, the faster the air goes in, and the faster it goes out. The engine also adds more fuel, which makes the exhaust flow even more.
#25 - JTbo
Quote from wheel4hummer :And the faster the RPM, the faster the exhaust is flowing. The more you open the throttle, the faster the air goes in, and the faster it goes out. The engine also adds more fuel, which makes the exhaust flow even more.

This way it is, also reason why low rpm gives less boost is here, simply not enough gases there is to spin turbine wheel :P

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG