The online racing simulator
Next Patch AI Fix Suggestions - all in one thread!
Quote from Scawen :Just so you know, AI is next on my list, they haven't been updated in any significant way since S1 and there are a lot of people who do want to use the AI for some offline racing, so the time has come...

Ok, I thought it would be nice if we could all put our own input in on the AI! But realistic suggestions!

Simply an AI discussion thread for those who practice offline or wish to fill empty grid positions online!

My own:

> AI should be more aware of their sarroundings (cars on left-right-front-back) and should rect to yellow flags!
ADDED: > ^^^ AI Should also have realistic blindspots for realism though... along with previous suggestion!

> AI using pit lane (suggested millions of times)
> AI should be more adaptable to different setups after learning a track! (Learning setups-per-track)
> AI running on cold tyres should wait for their tyres to warm before going all out, dependent on tyre tempurature ranges on different compounds!

> If pitlane implemented: AI that cannot drive to pitlane on their own should be sent to pit!
> Damaged/Slow AI should have their Emrrgency flickers on!

> Advanced: AI could attempt to develop their own setups per track while learning , without revealing to player! It would make 6 month (or 500lap) AI more unique in their learning and would create very interesting AI characteristic on track, as they would each have their own secret setup for that track!

> ^ Previous suggestion only after that AI actually learned the track or after maybe 300 laps exp!

> Changing AI names shouldn't create a new AI, because retraining renamed AI is annoying... instead, existing AI should simply adapt the new name! This saves hundred of laps on each track worth of training!

> LFS to come with some pre-trained AI? At least 50 laps on each track exp on Race_S!

> High Steering Lock should force the AI to apply smoother-finer steering (to prevent Oval-BF1/FO8 wobble and wobble on loooong straights with most cars)!

> AI should slow down and track cars incrementally after recieveing a yellow flag, and should track/avoid car(s) that triggered yellow flag!

> LFS should include a server-side option to auto-fill empty grid positions with AI cars if human's arent available (and AUTO launch AI cars in qually if humans arent available)! <-- as an optional piece, justa race filler!

Just some of what I to start it off?
#2 - wark
Quote from Hyperactive :
Ai
+ Better AI
+ Different start reaction times for each AI driver plus chance of false start

Well, that's what Hyperactive has so far. Maybe these should be put in the improvement suggestions log, or...?
Definitely faster AI's that would be equal to decent people laps.

And the guy above made mostly all points you could come up with.

Also I'd like to have a option when doing off line race that PIT STOP is necessary - if I'm doing long race or whatever.

And yes again - when you're driving side by side with the AI it fells like he doesn't see you and just keeps driving whatever line he likes or even pushing ya
+1
While I agree that AI needs improvement in terms of awareness and speed, I don't think we need a complicated setup as suggested in post 1.
LFS shines online. IMO, spending too much time on AI is better used to improve other things such as tracks, car modeling, scawen's physics changes, etc.
Quote from gohfeld23 :While I agree that AI needs improvement in terms of awareness and speed, I don't think we need a complicated setup as suggested in post 1.
LFS shines online. IMO, spending too much time on AI is better used to improve other things such as tracks, car modeling, scawen's physics changes, etc.

Dude AI's werent improved since S1 as he said (i think) its nae fair to forget that there are people who likes to practise offline - without getting wrecked cause of others. Or internet reasons ;] and others too ! it would be useful to practise offline if AIs were good enough
Quote from Moonchild LT :Dude AI's werent improved since S1 as he said (i think) its nae fair to forget that there are people who likes to practise offline - without getting wrecked cause of others. Or internet reasons ;] and others too ! it would be useful to practise offline if AIs were good enough

Please reread my post.
I said that AI DOES need improvement. It just doesn't need special tricks such as secret selfdeveloped sets, etc. They need to be able to go fast, pit and race clean. If they can do this, they are already better then 60% of people playing LFS currently.
I read your post clearly.

I mean, why not? It would give a different character to AI.
Quote : > Damaged/Slow AI should have their Emrrgency flickers on!

Heh, I like this one! Nice detail.
I'll be anxiously awaiting this next patch to the AI. Have very little time to play as it is and am too newbie-like in my driving to subject the rest of you to it... So I think any improvement will be a good thing!!
AI shouldn't stop at the middle of the track after finishing the race.
Quote from yaper :AI shouldn't stop at the middle of the track after finishing the race.

YES!!!! They should drive back to the pitlane.. And pit

I have more:

+ Leader aI should flash their headlights if the car ahead are a lap down, to grab their attention. (Not important, but would add to the realism)

+ Lapped AI should allow Lead AI to pass (to avoid slowcar-fastcar accidents)

+ Rolled AI Cars should Reset-to Pitlane, or drop out of race (or optional between the two)

+ AI stuck in sand/dirt/mud/goo should either drop out or reset to pit!

+ AI should track objects on custom layouts, to avoid crashing into them, while enrout to checkpoints, also, aI thet miss a chackpoint (wrong route) should drop out or reset to pit (or correct their error) -- not importannt but would be nice!

+ AI should choose their own Fuel levels during qualify, or should work out their own race stradegy (not important, but as a grid filler online, would add realism)

+ AI should choose their own tyre brands? (not important, but would look better offline and as a grid filler online)

+ AI trackable via INSIM (in not already) Although unimportant, but could be usefull when AI are being used as a grid filler!

+ Serverside AI Pacecar could be designated, and AI should follow if Pacelaps are coded in on yellow flags/rolling starts (if applicable, or when this is applicable) - But whould also respect Human vehicle positions online ... if you get what I mean! This would also free up an additional racer slot , and having to manually drive pacecars wouldn't be forced. But as an optional item!

+ When passing a BlueFlagged AI, it would be nice if, the AI pulled oneside, and used it's indicaters to alert you to wich side to pass it. EG, Pulls right, uses left flickers to alert you to pass left. For safety reasons. Especially when they are being used as grid fillers online! - Not sure how important. But would be helpfull.
I guess this shows how much offline time I spend on lfs lol! I have another one

+ Not important: If an AI wins the race, it should do a fast victory lap if fual allows, then drive to pit! Just for realism, but not necessary .. lol
Quote from CodieMorgan :I guess this shows how much offline time I spend on lfs lol! I have another one

+ Not important: If an AI wins the race, it should do a fast victory lap if fual allows, then drive to pit! Just for realism, but not necessary .. lol

If everything was done just as you said - I believe the rating of people playing online would drop twice

Obviously there's a little chance that AI would cause an accident in first turn or wreck your car - even though wrecking humans car would add some realism too! (just kidding)
Nice input to the long needed AI upgrade CodieMorgan.

Does AI go further than just the cars, and extend all around the circuit, to marshals and pit crew etc. Eg waved blue/yellow/black flags on the side of the circuit only for the cars intended. What about pit boards in the colours the drivers have chosen when it seems important to do so (like removing the jump start warning and letting you know on the pit board), or even a marker showing what pit bay you have been given when you joined the race event either by way of a person standing in the bay or a neon number/name flashing on top of the pit bays for the cars currently entering to pit.
What about the AI of the game itself, like loading controller setup based on if you move your steering wheel instead of just picking up your analog pad and moving the toggles! Yes, I know you probably think these are hard coded and are not classed as artificial intelligence, but they are basically the same thing.

Online/Offline: I rarely play online, because of the ping lag of mine/others, being mindful of crashing due to cars that jump about, so I prefer to enjoy a night racing without the pressure of destroying someone else's race. I'm not a bad driver, but I can't enjoy a race if I think I'm just stuffing up someone else's. I also play on my laptop away from any connections at times, and who just wants to hotlap all the time. So my point being that it may seem a bit too far to put so much effort into upgrading the AI to this extent, but I think LFS is all about driving, driving hard, online or not, in a purist form, without one thinking about things like "what the.. is the AI thinking", and if they are good enough they should become transparent, leaving the user to just drive with them and not around them. So there are probably more people out there that want the AI to push the bounds. I for one want LFS to become a tremendous experience no matter of online connection or not, and I'm sure Scawen will know what AI suggestions to implement and when with the input of the team.

So add all the ideas you can and the seemingly not so important ones could be implemented in the next AI upgrade after the next physics / graphics / sounds upgrade. Has Scawen's hair gone grey yet? ...
* bump
How about different characteristics for each AI driver? eg. cautious, aggressive, accident-prone, erratic, late breaking etc etc.

I'd like to name the AI drivers with say real-life F1 drivers and try and match the characteristics so I've got some idea of the style of driver I'd be up against.
How about they learn how to overtake ? I've trained AI's for a BLGP 30 lap race with the Fox. For fun I putted the quickest ones at the back of the grid. And they didn't even try to overtake! They only release the throttle a little to get some distance...
Quote from 7zark7 :How about different characteristics for each AI driver? eg. cautious, aggressive, accident-prone, erratic, late breaking etc etc

That would be great, tho I never race against the AI, it`s sure would be great to add some characeristic (wrong spelled, personalities) to the Ai drivers. But again, I don`t want them to use too long time on AI, I want more important things in LFS to be fixed improved than AI
Today I had an idea.. What if... The AI could learn from the player? If it could take over the braking points, lines.. stuff like that. And of course compensate a bit by letting it make small errors, just like a real human. This would make the AI challenging for everyone!

Just a thought..
thought after patch X the devs said that the AI will be develloped next... means that they know the pits and can use it. That would mean as well that a propper qualifing session is possible..

(I'm pretty sure they said it... in connection with the Test Patch Thread... don't know it exactly)
Quote from Darkone55 :Today I had an idea.. What if... The AI could learn from the player? If it could take over the braking points, lines.. stuff like that. And of course compensate a bit by letting it make small errors, just like a real human. This would make the AI challenging for everyone!

Just a thought..

Would be great, but probally hard as hell for the DEV`s to implent.
It would be cool if the AI said

:-)
Good Race
Good Pass

when it was appropiate in a race, adds to the realism.

Oh, and AI should have false starts, like every 5 or 10th start they do is a false one. Reaction times has been I said believe?

AI should also be able to look at autoX arenas and be able to follow around them. Although a "racing line" type object may be needed for that to work.
Quote from VTiRoj :It would be cool if the AI said
AI should also be able to look at autoX arenas and be able to follow around them. Although a "racing line" type object may be needed for that to work.

They could follow the route checker markers...
I don't care about AI at all, because i only play online.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG