The online racing simulator
I for myself would love to see a XFG Silver server because I love to race that car. On the other hand I like also to race the TBOs from time to time, so to have two silver servers would be cool. On the other hand you might be right that there are not enough to fill up the two servers. One solution might be to have not just a track change on the silver server rather then a track+car change.

But I think the first step should be a try to have two servers.

I'm against a multi-class server. For example FE Club is a nice track to race with the XFG but to have the faster TBOs on it as well will make a mess out f it.
Silver licensed here. For 2 years I've raced pretty much nothing but the FZR... Until the STCC servers came about. XFG racing is great. Never saw XFG on the servers until the STCC. Thus, I race on the "beginner's" server with the XFG. I don't like any of the TBO class, so I only joined that server (with STCC) on occasion, for points to get away from that lousy car class.

One point I would say, from a United States aspect, is the amount of racers. The XFG/RG server is full, all the time. Folks want to race with 30 others, not with 5 on Server 2. In the US, Server 1, the city servers, Conedodgers, and Redline are the only servers that you see with more than 3-5 connections. Even the 3-5 connection servers are very few. Most of the 14 listed servers I see have 1 connection. Are there enough Silver licensed users in the US to actually populate Server 2? Or would it still be 3-5 others?

*Where does the LX4 sit in this idea? I've joined the LFR+LX4 servers plenty of times with STCC as the LX4 is the only car worth driving between the XFG/RG and LFR classes, IMO.

License limiting is kind of wacked for me with the CTRA system. Licensing is dependent on racer's skills, but unfortunately, so is the class of cars you can race. I'm stuck in Silver because I hate the class that was designated Silver licensed and only picked up 1-2 points for wins in the XFG (with the old STCC servers). I need a higher Silver or Gold (I don't know how it works) to drive anything other than XRT in Silver class, and that car is a piece of garbage, the worst of LFS IMO. Thus, I won't be winning Silver licensed races with it and with the current system, won't ever move in my CTRA "career". Not that the RB4 or FXO is any different, don't like them either. So, I stick with the XFG, because that is what I want to race.

STCC/CTRA allows me to race what I want to race, the XFG, since you never saw it in the server list before STCC. Thus, putting the XFG available in Silver licensed server would be great for me.... If others join as well.
Quote from mrodgers :I'm stuck in Silver because I hate the class that was designated Silver licensed and only picked up 1-2 points for wins in the XFG (with the old STCC servers). I need a higher Silver or Gold (I don't know how it works) to drive anything other than XRT in Silver class, and that car is a piece of garbage, the worst of LFS IMO.

I don't like the XRT much either. It comes to life a bit if you give it a limited-slip diff rather than the de-facto locked diff that comes with every setup at Inferno. You can also drive the RB4 with a silver license, but that car is dead boring to drive on paved circuits.

The FXO I don't think you can drive, but you're unlikely to want to drive it anyway. I suppose you might want to select that car if the wife wants a turn.
The FXO is now driveable with silver, gold drivers get the GT2 class
The FXO is great fun, it's more of a challenge with all that power at the front of the car!

It just sucks it's slower now, I can't get anywhere near a 1:24 at Blackwood anymore
Quote from Becky Rose :The FXO is now driveable with silver, gold drivers get the GT2 class

So..... I now have my choice of spinning out in the XRT, trying to corner, yet still go straight into the wall in the FXO, or fall asleep and take everyone out in T1 bored with the RB4, hmmmmmm.....

Unfortunately, now with the balancing, the XRT is definitely the best car of that class, it's the only one with RWD (well, ignore the fact that I prefer the XFG over XRG with regards to driven wheels :razz, yet it is still a crap car.

In response to what you said, Kev. I never drive any car with locked diff. I run the clutch pack and basically tune it to give me what I want with lifting the throttle a bit. For some reason though, the XRT is strictly a drift car for me. I put the diff clutch down to nearly 0, wack the ARB down to nearly 0, and it still goes completely sideways for me on throttle . Remember back in the beginning of S2 demo CRC, where both me and you were trying to learn to drive RWD? It's still the same as back then with the XRT for me. I don't know why, I drive the LX's, FZ5, RAC, F08, FZR just fine, but the XRT is a mystery to me . For the record, the XRR seems to be the same, no matter what I do, it's a drift car for me. Perhaps I'll try the limited slip, I've never used anything but the clutch diff for any car.

I still wonder what comes of the LX4 with CTRA? Unfortunately, it doesn't really fit into either the TBO or the LFR classes. It is at the moment, my favorite car of LFS. Though it's only been 28 minutes since I've wondered about the LX4 originally from earlier post .
Quote from mrodgers :In response to what you said, Kev. I never drive any car with locked diff. I run the clutch pack and basically tune it to give me what I want with lifting the throttle a bit. For some reason though, the XRT is strictly a drift car for me. I put the diff clutch down to nearly 0, wack the ARB down to nearly 0, and it still goes completely sideways for me on throttle .

Bizarre. I have the opposite problem; keeping the rear in check under braking on reversed configs, so I pile on the coast lock, but putting the power down is pretty straightforward. I think it's a matter of getting used to how long it takes for the turbo to build boost, and backing off the steering just as the rear wheel slippage starts to make up for it. The sort of thing you only get used to with a lot of laps though, really, so a chicken/egg situation for you.

I still don't like the car much though. It feels sluggish and heavy, and the lack of power on corner exits means it's hard to adjust the direction of the car with the throttle.
Quote from ChiliFan :I feel the same way, since being a Bronze licensed driver I can't really compete with the Silver, Gold and Platinum drivers yet. Some battles for points with drivers of my own skill level, like when it was STCC, would surely boost my skill and motivation.

I second this!! For some of us lesser mortals competing with much more experienced drivers makes life very frustrating to the point of not playing for lack of progress. I was 97% of the way to silver before the servers went offline and still haven't scored one point since the servers have come back online.
Toddshooter
Quote from Toddshooter :I second this!! For some of us lesser mortals competing with much more experienced drivers makes life very frustrating to the point of not playing for lack of progress. I was 97% of the way to silver before the servers went offline and still haven't scored one point since the servers have come back online.
Toddshooter

same for me too on the silver server. Was almost at gold... still the same at silver
I think the silver is going to remain fairly quiet for many of the racers that would like to use the server as they are struggling to get the points in the lower server to progress.....

I have been flamed hugely for putting a value on points but when points are the only thing that gives you access to the other servers and car series, they are key to filling the upper tier servers a little more.

While I don't think points should be easily given, I do think you need throughput to ensure the filter system works.

My suggestion would be to keep the Silver server as is. The option would be to get a 2nd CTRA 1 server so more people can use it for the lower licenses to get toward silver, which will, help to get more silver racers and thus, a fuller silver server.

Would be a great shame to lose the current classes on the silver server. I think its less than one week in to the new system and people are busy trying all the new stuff from single seater to bump.

I have spoken to about 40 racers now that have a less than silver license. Most would love to work on progressing their main license to Silver but are finding it nigh on imposssible due to FULL CTRA1 and/or the fact they cant get the points when on there. As a result, they are going to the single seater server where there is a more even playing field due to the new license as well as the bump server where points are more plentiful. However, most said that as a result of the points on the bump license only working toward a better grid position, they weere not that bothered about the bump points as it didnt give access to other servers and car classes like the main license.

Andy
Quote from StableX :I have spoken to about 40 racers now that have a less than silver license. Most would love to work on progressing their main license to Silver but are finding it nigh on imposssible due to FULL CTRA1 and/or the fact they cant get the points when on there. As a result, they are going to the single seater server where there is a more even playing field due to the new license

Level playing field in what way? Everybody will be in the same car, and some of those people will be extremely quick - how is this any different from the odd Titanium driver stopping in on the XFG/XRG server and giving you an asswhuppin'?
As a trial, and to alleviate congestion on the opening server, I am allowing XFG+XRG for bronze licenced racers and above on server 2 - to run multi-class with the TBO.

This may be tweeked to silver and above racers, or may be scrapped altogether. It is a trial.
I like the idea of multi class on server 2, Its just a shame im moving house at the min and my wheel has already gone to the new house. not to worry tho i move in on saturday morning and my new connection is being connected saturday afternoon! (aint my missus a diamond sorting it out so quicky for me). So i shall pop in saturday evening.
#39 - Pig
Quote from Becky Rose :As a trial, and to alleviate congestion on the opening server, I am allowing XFG+XRG for bronze licenced racers and above on server 2 - to run multi-class with the TBO.

This may be tweeked to silver and above racers, or may be scrapped altogether. It is a trial.

Love the idea!

I'll give it a try when i get back from work
Hopefully this will give me more time to practice and get faster, instead of lifting off in half the track so as not to crash into someone
Quote from Becky Rose :As a trial, and to alleviate congestion on the opening server, I am allowing XFG+XRG for bronze licenced racers and above on server 2 - to run multi-class with the TBO.

This sounds good and hopefully it will work to give everyone more racing room and more fun.
Toddshooter
Quote from thisnameistaken :Level playing field in what way? Everybody will be in the same car, and some of those people will be extremely quick - how is this any different from the odd Titanium driver stopping in on the XFG/XRG server and giving you an asswhuppin'?

what I meant by level playing field is that everyone started off with a new license (apart from the beta testers).
Quote from thisnameistaken :Level playing field in what way? Everybody will be in the same car, and some of those people will be extremely quick - how is this any different from the odd Titanium driver stopping in on the XFG/XRG server and giving you an asswhuppin'?

Because on the old system this hardly ever happened. Its discouraging to be trounced everytime and have no chance advance.
Toddshooter
that sounds like a great idea Becky. Hopefully, the fact that its Silver license racers means the crashing wont be bad as a result.....

Will try

Question on that. How will that work with the licenses. If you are driving XFG and come top of that class, will you get points if within the fastest 106% lap thing?

Any further thoughts on letting higher licensed drivers onto SS2 in the FOX ?

Half of the problem at the moment is actually getting onto the grid, having another server available to some drivers should help.
#45 - Jakg
Quote from StableX :what I meant by level playing field is that everyone started off with a new license (apart from the beta testers).

...? How does this help? your now getting beaten by someone who's bronze instead of Titanium. Big difference.

If i've earned my Platinum license, and proved that i can drive to a Platinum-Standard why on EARTH should it be taken away simply to make it fairer on a new driver, when actually it does nothing?

Silver drivers were complaining because with a lot of laps anyone could get on the next server and be idiots there - Becky responded with a tighter point system to weed out the idiot drivers.

I'd also like to point this out - in BF2 the flags are there ONLY to facilitate action, as without them it would be a boring killing spree - the flags encourage tactics, action etc. The CTRA Point system does the same - the promise of a higher server, better drivers etc makes people want to race, and they then have fun racing. People seem to forget about the fun they have racing, and think of it as a chore to get to the next server

Just fyi, we beta testers earnt a lot of points (i think i had the next single seater license...?) beta testing, but they were all removed before launch - the proper database was imported and iirc the most someone earned between that and launch was 20 points

I think this might be a good idea. Depends on whether or not many XFG/XRG fans have a problem racing together with the faster TBO cars. I don't really see a point in me going on server 2 as I'm having enough trouble already scoring points on server 1. That's why I also think it would be a good idea to limit the multi class server2 to Silver and up, and keeping Bronze licensed racers on server 1 as it will make little or no difference for them since they can only race the same cars on server2 as they can on server1. That way the Silver (and up) licensed racers who like driving the XFG/XRG can do so on server2, and the Bronze licensed racers won't feel like all the Gold and Platinum licensed racers are ruining their chances on scoring points on server1.

Hope this makes sense...
Quote from Jakg :...? How does this help? your now getting beaten by someone who's bronze instead of Titanium. Big difference.

If i've earned my Platinum license, and proved that i can drive to a Platinum-Standard why on EARTH should it be taken away simply to make it fairer on a new driver, when actually it does nothing?

Its a seperate license for a different type of racing. I used to do a load of rallying and had a license for that to compete at a decent standard with my 6R4. That doesnt give me the right to jump in a single seater. I need to get a seperate license for that. Same applies here doesnt it?

In your case with the single seater licensing structure, I wouldn't have done it that way JAKg. I would have given the upper echelon of drivers like yourself, the right to use the higher level SS license servers.
Quote from obsolum :I also think it would be a good idea to limit the multi class server2 to Silver and up, and keeping Bronze licensed racers on server 1 as it will make little or no difference for them since they can only race the same cars on server2 as they can on server1. That way the Silver (and up) licensed racers who like driving the XFG/XRG can do so on server2, and the Bronze licensed racers won't feel like all the Gold and Platinum licensed racers are ruining their chances on scoring points on server1.

Hope this makes sense...

It does, but the main reason I go to server 1 is if server 2 is running a track I particularly don't like. So even if the XRG is available on server 2 I'm not going to stick around if it switches to AS National or something like that.
-
(Jakg) DELETED by Jakg
#49 - troy

at the moment there seems to be only xfg/xrg allowed on server 2.

does that mean the multi class didnt work out as you thought?
or somebody just forgot to unlock the tbo's also?
Quote from Jakg :..isn't that what we already have though? the Single Seater license is separate from the Road Car one as the cars are very different to drive, however the GT2 license is with the road cars as they are more like the road cars than dislike them (if that makes any sense).

Call me thick but i don't understand...?

I think we are misunderstanding each other

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG