The online racing simulator
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :WOW who makes this about Becky and Sam all of a sudden. I have nothing then respect for what they try and created. They are however just people. And the way the points are awarded is just 1 aspect of the system. And the distribution of it feels biased now, beneficial of hotlappers who's goal it is to make 1 quick lap and not towards racing. Can be that it will settle over time and practice (my own) but its a point of concern for me. However it wont stop me from enjoying the server.

Dont think its fair that our/mine mere observations on the system is immediately interpreted as critisism on the people behind it.

HERE HERE!!
Quote from thisnameistaken :Your reply has lost the context of the quote you made from my post. I was responding to someone who had likened racing on the CTRA servers to "level grinding" in World of Warcraft - like it was a chore. Not someone who was complaining that they didn't have enough time for racing.

Sorry I misunderstood you.
Toddshooter
Quote from Becky Rose :The give way messages are only given to mid race joiners as a reminder that they are in practice mode and should not interfere with the racing. From what i've seen it has improved the attitude of mid race joiners on the whole, and made them more aware that they need to give way and not get involved with people who are racing.

Fair enough. It seems I'm complaining lots today but I really like the new system as a whole great work.
Toddshooter
Quote from thisnameistaken :You get extra Man Points for driving the XRT. They don't appear in the system but they are real. At the moment they can only be traded for platonic hugs from Tristan. Well, he says they're platonic, but they last just a little bit too long for my liking.

I do sympathise to an extent and I am aware of how long it takes the average racer to get up to speed in LFS (months or years), but why do you think you should get points for being slow?

In all honestly, if you say you're not quick enough to race against silver/gold drivers then why would you want to be given enough points to move up to the silver/gold server? It's not going to be any easier to get points there. I just don't see your logic here.

But thats the whole problem with it, the way it looks to be set up now is you must become as skilled and fast as a platinum driver before you start earning points to the next level license/server. When in fact you should only have to become as fast and skilled as a silver license driver while you earn points to race on the silver server. Then on silver you become as fast and skilled as gold, and so on and so on. Its called progression.

See Becky as done what all game devs do, created content that must be unlocked by some form of leveling (nothing wrong with that). And gamers will do what gamers do, find the fastest way to unlock said content. This, in my opinion, will lead to a hotlap mentality to gain points as fast as possible (all points are now heavily based on 1 lap time if the posts in these thread are to be believed), but will do nothing to promote good race craft and clean racing. Will see I guess.
Quote from Leadtail :... (all points are now heavily based on 1 lap time if the posts in these thread are to be believed) ...

Would be sort of interesting to know how much of a difference it makes whether you finish first with a lap time of 106% of the CTRA lap record or with a lap time of 100.1%.
The heavily based I am talking about is the no points if your at 106.1% of a platinum record or with in the magical 106% of it.
Quote from Leadtail :But thats the whole problem with it, the way it looks to be set up now is you must become as skilled and fast as a platinum driver before you start earning points to the next level license/server.

Well that's rubbish. I'm silver-licensed and nowhere near the quick guys, and yet I score points in every race that I don't make a complete mess of. So to me the system looks quite well-balanced - you don't score many points until you're about ready to advance to the next tier, which is how it should work.

Quote from Leadtail : See Becky as done what all game devs do, created content that must be unlocked by some form of leveling (nothing wrong with that). ... This, in my opinion, will lead to a hotlap mentality to gain points as fast as possible but will do nothing to promote good race craft and clean racing.

If you'd spent any time on the servers you would have found that the quality of racing is actually rather good. Sure, full grids into a tight T1 will still lead to a fair bit of barging for position, but that's unavoidable. What you'll also see is faster drivers stuck in your mirrors for several laps if they can't find a clean way past - which you won't see on many public servers. You'll also see people lifting to avoid pile-ups, not using other cars as brakes, not cutting the track to gain time, not turning in on overtaking cars, etc. And if you do see any bad behaviour you can report it and the offending driver gets a slap on the wrist.

Fast-tracking your way through the license stages by hotlapping and barging anybody who gets in your way won't be any use when you get all your points stripped for driving like a dickhead, so the system shouldn't promote bad habits as you say it will.

Quote from Leadtail :The heavily based I am talking about is the no points if your at 106.1% of a platinum record or with in the magical 106% of it.

106% is a wide margin. On the shortest circuits - say, a 50 second lap - 106% would be a 53 second lap. If you can't hit those sort of times you won't be competitive on the later servers.
Leadtail's post brings to light something. for the 106% of the record lap for points, is that the record lap of a Copper/Bronze licensed user, or just the general record lap of anyone who happens to make it on the server? As Leadtail eludes to, you should be competing on the Copper/Bronze server against a relevant time to a Copper/Bronze record, not a Platinum/Titanium record time. I am thinking the server record is just the record of all server users, rather than the particular class the server is for. Copper/Bronze racers shouldn't be expected really to be close to WR times since it is indeed the "beginer" license.

Perhaps the 106% will make much more sense if it was based on the record of the particular server's licensing required user. This goes the same for all the servers.

Though, thinking more, this doesn't really work well either because there could be WR holders or other long time veterans whom have never driven the CTRA servers, thus, they are not exactly beginners in LFS. So, just some more thoughts on it here.....

Edit: Well, first off, they posted a few posts while I typed this, and I guess what I say here in the first part of my post, is exactly what Leadtail says. I am reading stuff quite rapidly as I'm at work and didn't really catch his post. Just remembered something from it and posted this..... But it still stands that points in a beginner's server should not be based on laptimes of someone 3 tiers up from the beginners...
Quote from mrodgers :the 106% of the record lap for points, is that the record lap of a Copper/Bronze licensed user, or just the general record lap of anyone who happens to make it on the server? ...

Though, thinking more, this doesn't really work well either because there could be WR holders or other long time veterans whom have never driven the CTRA servers,

Like Biohazard, who has been on the copper/bronze server setting lap records at every config, with a (IIRC) bronze license.
It's 106% of the track's fastest lap, on all servers, with that particular and specific layout (if any). NOT the WR, either.

106% is as wide as it needs to be, I think. The lap records could just as easily be set by a Bronze driver as any other. In point of fact, they have been, many times.
Is it just me?
Is it just me or are there more higher level racers on the lower servers now? I just don't remember it being like this before the switch over. Is this a taste of things to come or just growing pains? My main reason for wanting to get my silver licence was to move out of the T1 crashing. I'm not the fastest by far, but I'm fair and love racing against other fair racers even if they are faster.
This is still the best racing to be had on LFS!

We'll wait and see I guess. Toddshooter
there seems to be a bug with the SS server. check RA:

http://www.raceauthority.com/topss.asp

the guy cjb1118 has national A licence despite not having done a single race (according to LFS world history) on the single seater server.
Hi Vic, it appears there was a little bug on the admin interface that's now been fixed and the licence rectified. Sam appologises
I was on CTRA race 1 just now, and the winner (a Platinum racer) got 18 points, second was something like 6. Then after 6th place everyone got 0 points, which is fair enough. But in 14th and 15th were a Platinum and Silver racer, who got 2 and 1 points respectively. Plus their fastest laps were some 6 seconds off the winner's fastest lap. Is this a malfunction?
Quote from csurdongulos :there seems to be a bug with the SS server. check RA:

http://www.raceauthority.com/topss.asp

the guy cjb1118 has national A licence despite not having done a single race (according to LFS world history) on the single seater server.

Heh, was going to point that out, but it's done now.
In the old system those could not get those points if i remember correct. Once you had a license you could race on "lower" servers, but more for fun then points.
Quote from cjb1118 :Heh, was going to point that out, but it's done now.

Took a picture first?
Quote from ChiliFan :I was on CTRA race 1 just now, and the winner (a Platinum racer) got 18 points, second was something like 6. Then after 6th place everyone got 0 points, which is fair enough. But in 14th and 15th were a Platinum and Silver racer, who got 2 and 1 points respectively. Plus their fastest laps were some 6 seconds off the winner's fastest lap. Is this a malfunction?

Might be worth sending a report when you see stuff that extreme happening.
Quote from thisnameistaken :Might be worth sending a report when you see stuff that extreme happening.

If I ask it to send me the replay will the points still be shown?
It's probably that they where in a different class of car with a slower record?
Quote from Becky Rose :It's probably that they where in a different class of car with a slower record?

One of them was in the XRG but the other was in the XFG just like most of the people who didn't score points.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG