The online racing simulator
Server Implosion?
I was just racing in the Bump and Jump server when, without warning, I lost connection. Tried to reconnect, and the game only got as far as the message 'Connecting to host', and then stopped trying with no message.

Raceauthority.com also stopped loading for me, and all the CTRA servers disappeared from the host list - meaning that they were either not there, or empty (I've got a filter on it at the moment)

As it happens, everything is now back to normal... Any idea what happened? The whole thing only lasted about two minutes.

Sam
#2 - Bean0
Possibly this...

Quote from Becky Rose :The first version of X-Monitor is running, if the system has an SQL failure, exits unexpectedly, or stops responding, than within 2 minutes it will automatically relaunch.

As for the crash bug I think I know whats wrong, there's an ommission from the programming language i'm using. However, I have the source code and i'm going to sink my teath into it and code the mistake out. I dont expect this to be easy, it might even be beyond me, but it seems to be the only way to cure the bug thats causing the X-System to exit unexpectedly.

For now anyway, although the bug is there, the X-Monitor will relaunch the X-System if and when this happens.

Possibly - but I thought that was referring to the monitoring system, ie, the in-game points recording, $-commands, etc. as opposed to the actual servers themselves?

Sam
#4 - SamH
I just got in from an interview this morning, and it doesn't look like there are any problems on the server hardware. It's listing people on servers page at the moment, too. It could have been a barf at your ISP, or somewhere else in the chain of nodes but I don't think it's anything that happened on the server itself.
Like I said, it seemed to fix itself very quickly.. But I don't think it was my ISP - I disconnected and reconnected to the Internet, found that pages other than RaceAuthority.com were loading, MSN still active, etc... It just seemed like I lost touch with the whole CTRA network for a couple of minutes. Remains a mystery, then...

Sam

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG