The online racing simulator
improve qualifying stuff
(16 posts, started )
improve qualifying system with additional functions
ok this is pretty simple:

1_have the possibility to choose in qualifying how many laps each car is allowed to do.

2_have a possible "private" qualifying so every car is on the track at the same time but you don't see them. so everyone got a free track. this way a qualifying for a 32 peoples race could be done in 5 min. and not 1 hour until everyone got his 1 outlap 2 hotlaps done individually

these two things should be additional to the present simple time-based qualifying.

actually there is no tactics at all, at the moment because the league admin will tell you when you have to do your 1 outlap and 2 fastlaps. which takes hours!
or if you have a time-based qualifying as used in other leagues at the moment everyone just tries to get as much laps done as possible in the given time. where is the tactics there?

you could have like 30min. open qualifying with a max of lets say 5 laps (decided by the host) you are allowed to do. THEN you got tactics. because you have to wait to get your laps done until there is no traffic or until you find a partner who can help you somehow.

but again... one more step towards rFactor if such easy optional things won't be implemented in the future.
#2 - Slopi

I like it the way it is. Having a time limit on qualify means you have to plan your qualify run, not just jump into it knowing exactly how many laps you get a shot at.
I also prefer having cars on the track during qualify. Usually that's how it is in real life, so why change it?

Because I like it how it is at the moment
Doesn`t need any changes, since it`s works good. And usually there are more than enough time to qualify on, so if you get a lap ruined by a other racers you usually have time enough for many other laps
did you even read my posts?
-
(Fischfix) DELETED by Fischfix
well point one is okay... point two not... (... for me)

the first point is okay, because there are some real championchips who use(d) it (DTM in Q3, Formula one during the 1990s)

to the second point. I do not like it. It would become to trackmania or something like that. Although it would be better if you want to orginise a one hotlap qualification, it would be to arcady for a racing simulation.

my tipp: make a hot lap qualification. Let's say you give your racers 10 minutes to do a hot lap. and then to send it in. with the replay manager you can easily compare the times. It would only need to look up the last date of changing the data.
Both points are very valid and have nothing to with "arcade".

Point 2 is for quali on ovals, otherwise people can take advantage of slipstreaming in the quali.
Quote from frankwer :Both points are very valid and have nothing to with "arcade".

Point 2 is for quali on ovals, otherwise people can take advantage of slipstreaming in the quali.

i know thats meant for Ovals, because I'm knowing him as orginiser of the LFSCAR series
but because of one track i donot think that the devs will add something like that, althought it would be good for leagues.

to the point ARCARDE

for me it would be arcarde. You have 32 cars on track, all parallel but you cannot see 31. The other problem is, that you don't know what time you have to beat, when it's a live "time monitor" maybe you're the first, maybe someone else. Knowing what time you have to reach makes you always quicker (sometimes too quick)! Another problem, how would you make a replay of it. One of the best features of LFS is that you can take an replay of everything. If it automaticly cuts every replay behind each other, it would take ages.
#8 - bbman
Suggestion 1 is okay, I can see this being used... For suggestion 2: well, hotlap then?
yep point 2 is not only for ovals, on circuit tracks you will not have to problem with traffic, everyone has the same circumstances to do the qualifying then.
the hotlap alternative is also okay if you were not able to send in hotlaps, that are done previously of the race and of course the sent in hotlaps need to be transfered automaticly into a starting grid, without any organizing. something like the owrl is nice for that. but as i said its not implemented in lfs.

again, these stuff is mainly for leagues, because qualifying is not much used in normal online racing.

i don't care really about point 2 to be honest, because i won't use it, but i am thinking there about other leagues. but the lap amount should be an option in combination of a timeframe.
Quote from Fischfix :did you even read my posts?

Yes I readed it.
And I didn`t say it was stupid or something, I just did not agree with it
I'd like to see qualifying to be scriptable, you might as well have free practice available as well. Possibly make the script look something like this.

Excuse the comment overkill.

//Free practice session 1
<FP1>
time 60
</fp1>
<FP2>
time 60
</fp2>
<FP3>
time 60
</fp3>
//Q1
<Q1>
time 15
ontrack 0
//as many cars on track as permitted
maxflyers 0
//as many flying laps as you like
eliminate 6
//eliminate the slowest 6 cars
carryover 0
//delete times after the session. 1 takes the times forward. 2 aggregates the times with next one like A1GP does.
</Q1>
<Q2>
time 15
ontrack 0
maxflyers 0
eliminate 6
carryover 0
</Q2>
<Q3>
time 10
ontrack 0
maxflyers 0
impound 1
//Impounds the cars between the races. 0 is no impound, 1 is fuel, 2 is damage and 4 is tyres, this one acts like that.
fixgrid R1
//fixes the grid for race 1 I.E. the only race
</Q3>
<R1>
laps 15
mustpit 1
</r1>

That's what the F1 quali with a 15 lap race with a mandatory pit stop would look like
I like 1.

Not so sure about 2, because as has been said you won't know what other people have done, and you don't have the build up. What would be nice is if the qualifying order could be pre-set, so it's not relying on an admin telling them when to go, which is the time consuming bit. If LFS automatically joined each driver, and then gave a message when they were allowed to leave the pitlane it would be quick and easy.
Agreed with most that #1 is needed and #2 not so much. There is a definite need for more "race weekend" options, though.
that scripting thing would be the best. so every host can define how they want to have their qualifying. and you also could have automated weekends with like: 30min. practice, 15min/4 laps qualifying, and race.
+1 for the first argument. that should be an option i often thought about.

-1 for the second argument. don't like that.
I have to say -1 overall. Not so fussed about #1, but I guess it's another serverside option to fit whatever RL leagues use that kind of ruling.

But #2 sounds silly and pointless to me. Can you take other cars off the track IRL quali sessions?
Seems like the best solution if you find yourself getting slipstreamed during qualifying is to either brake test the guy (nasty) or change your line slightly, then slipstream someone else yourself (sensible). That way everyone's times balance out.

Correct me if I'm wrong here (because I've never been interested in it myself), but isn't oval racing all about the slipstream? Doesn't that include qualifying?

improve qualifying stuff
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG