The online racing simulator
Possibly caught speeding - Radar/Laser
(59 posts, started )
where i live, it is expected that you drive at 10 mph over the speed limit. Town limit is 30 and 98% of drivers do 40 mph. No one gets pulled over at this speed. ...the cops do 40 too.
Quote from ans7812 :where i live, it is expected that you drive at 10 mph over the speed limit. Town limit is 30 and 98% of drivers do 40 mph. No one gets pulled over at this speed. ...the cops do 40 too.

Well it's the same here but we get done for being over the (stupidly low) limit, the only cars on the road that actually obey the speed limit are police patrol cars (the ones that give tickets), learner drivers and old grannies. I was amused the other day to see a police van braking for the speed camera like everybody else
i would imagine if we had speed cameras the situation would be the same..fortunately (or unfortunately) we don't
Quote from ans7812 :where i live, it is expected that you drive at 10 mph over the speed limit. Town limit is 30 and 98% of drivers do 40 mph. No one gets pulled over at this speed. ...the cops do 40 too.

I just took the kids up to Erie, PA to the beach up there. Two hour drive up I-79. I ran with the cruise control set at 85 (mph). Never saw a cop anywhere.

Cops around here will drive down the highways at 10 mph under the speed limit. It looks like a caution period at the Daytona 500 with the cop setting the pace and everyone else running double file behind him. Even with him doing 10 under, no one will pass him.
Quote from mrodgers :I just took the kids up to Erie, PA to the beach up there. Two hour drive up I-79. I ran with the cruise control set at 85 (mph). Never saw a cop anywhere.

Cops around here will drive down the highways at 10 mph under the speed limit. It looks like a caution period at the Daytona 500 with the cop setting the pace and everyone else running double file behind him. Even with him doing 10 under, no one will pass him.

I had to ban my dad from using cruse control, it made him more dangerous as he'd fall asleep. Any tech which makes driving "easier" or "safer" just creates lazy drivers which is more dangerous than not having it.

That is a pretty cool trick, though over here people would just barrel past, probably not as fast as they'd normally drive, but they'd still go round the cop, just they'd make sure it was done by the book.

Also, relating to speed, I think this video sends a shocking but good message, such a shame no one listens to them.
I would say you have got away with it. I don't know if someone else here has said this (I'm to tired to read all the replies ) but if the laser is not pointed and held steady, at times it brings back an error to the cop. Perhaps you was very very very lucky and he did it incorrectly .
I went past a parked camera van that was in the middle of parked cars(sneaky w**k**S!) on Saturday. I was doing 32mph because it was slightly down hill and I was actually watching the road since I was going through a retail area and didn't want to run a little kid over. I wonder if I'll a nice letter from them. Best not!

On the Friday to Saturday I passed 3 parked speed cameras and 2 cameras that checked your details. What a wonderful world. Lucky I don't normally speed unless its national speed limit and I know the road then I have a little fun.
Quote from AndyC :I went past a parked camera van that was in the middle of parked cars(sneaky w**k**S!) on Saturday. I was doing 32mph because it was slightly down hill and I was actually watching the road since I was going through a retail area and didn't want to run a little kid over. I wonder if I'll a nice letter from them. Best not!

Well seen as though there is no law dictating that they have to be visible, they could hide in a dustbin, any people they caught speeding would still get a fine. They just make everything high vis, so people can see the van and think "oh, I'm going a touch fast, I'll slow down". And 32 in a 30 zone wouldn't get you a ticket.
OK. Firstly, I am not a lawyer.

In regards to speed guns used by UK Police, there are certain strict regulations that they must follow. AFAIK, the gun has to be fixed (via tripod or other fixed means - as handheld guns can produce inaccurate readings as the operators hand slightly moves when taking the reading, thus invalidating it). Also, the speed gun used must have been tested that day, and if you ask they should provide you with a certificate of approval. The PC operating the gun must be wearing high vis clothing - he must be clearly visable - not hiding in the back of a van in darkness. There must be signs (showing that "safety" cameras are in use - the little black speed camera sign).

Also you may want to check to see if the signs along that road are as "prescribed" by regulation. For example, the first change in speed - a new sign, eg. from 40 to a 30 (the first 30 sign), if placed on a primarly or trunk road, where the sign shown in diagram 670 (statutory speed limit) is placed within 50 metres of a lamp powered by electricity which forms a system of lighting where 3 or more lamps are placed no more than 183 metres apart (differs in Scotland), then the sign shall be illuminated by means of internal or external lighting, blah blah blah.

All this traffic sign business can be found in the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002 (Statutory Instrument 2002/3113) - http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2002/20023113.htm

If you find the signs are "non-prescribed" then they are void. Infact they are unlawful and highway authorities that errect signs not prescribing to regulations are "acting beyond their powers". Non-prescribed signs can be classed as "obstructions" of the highway.

There's a very nice piece of case law, the case of "Davies -v- Heatley [1971] R.T.R 145" which basically states that if a sign is non-prescribed then contravention of the "sign" cannot constitute an offence even if the "sign" is clearly reconisable by a reasonable man as a sign of that kind.
The case of "MacLeod -v- Hamilton [1965] S.L.T 305" also deals with the legality of "non-prescribed" lines.

As for the factual ins and outs of speed guns, i'm not 100%, but i'll have a look through my archives to see if I can fish out any case law which may help you.

As you said though, no camara, no evidence, and that's your best argument - "I was doing the speed limit officer unless you have evidence to the contrary".

BTW, I do not condone illegal speeding, only safe speed.

Possibly caught speeding - Radar/Laser
(59 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG