The online racing simulator
Round 1 Aston Historic Pre-Race discussion
Ok, just want say, good luck to all drivers on Thursday, lets make it a clean, fun event.

I will be PM'ing everyone the server details on Wednesday, I have provided a setup for the FZ50 in the setup thread, use it if you like.

See you all there
I'm currently on reserve list. Is there any way to know if I can race on Thursday? I don't like to practice without purpose.
#3 - Kdovi
There is 99,99% chance, that you'll race. TBH I didn't saw league with 100% participation even in first race
Quote from Kdovi :There is 99,99% chance, that you'll race. TBH I didn't saw league with 100% participation even in first race

Yeah, I would agree with that, I would be very suprised if 32 drivers all turn up, but you never know
Anyone coming on for a bit of practise ?
yeah is there a practice server?
#7 - Bean0
The T7R server is set to AS Historic and LRF, I was on there earlier.
Since the LX6 is an LRF i just wanna know why it's not part of the series? It seems to me to be the XRR of the class (prior to the weight crap)from the hotlaps.
It's not, the server is set wrong, I will change it tonight.
I have to admit it took me awhile to start driving consistent laps, the FZ5 being a lot heavier and tail-happy than I remembered. I've tried a few sets and I've yet to get a satisfactory balance between something that's quick on the line and something that's forgiving off the line or in tricky situations.

Anyhow, this is the 2nd racing league I've joined, the first being for the original Simbin GTR mod, which lasted all of 2 races when the organization fell apart, but was actually a lot of fun while it lasted. Our races would usually last around 40-45 mins and the competition was intense. I'd definitely like to experience that adrenaline rush once again .

I've also been enjoying LFS since the day it materialized and in the past year, after a good 10-month hiatus from any sims, I came back to the game with a new DFP and a different approach. I've managed to up my game quite a bit and look forward to testing my skills in a proper competition instead of the odd race on public servers. I have to admit I'm a bit nervous having such a large field since any small mistake, either by myself or someone else can lead to disaster for a lot of people. Fingers will be crossed for T1...

Good luck to everyone!
I have just this evening done a full length race, and it's looking ok for me, I am happy with both my set, and the pace, tyres last no problem, and I can get 2:51's with my race set, not majorly fast, but not bad for "race pace" IMO.

Good luck all with the event, hopefully it will be a blast
Had some laps in the RAC, man it's SOOOO much easier to get consistanly fast laps in that car.

For me, the RAC is quicker than the FZ5, which I found suprising.

Dan,
#13 - Vain
On the other hand the FZ5 consumes double as much fuel as the RAC.
The FZ5 has to pit for fuel even before it pits for tyres. And do you know how long it takes to fuel up 100% in an FZ5? Try a full pit for 100% fuel and four tyres - you can safely pit in, go to the kitchen, pour yourself a glass of you favorite beverage, come back and not have lost a single second. Every ~25 laps the FZ5 spends over 30 seconds longer in the pits than the RAC. Even the LX6 is quicker on Aston Historic if you factor in fueling up.
My race-pace is high 2:49 from second lap to 2:48.8 as a pb. I think I can go way quicker than that though. Never really tried though - it's a boat, not a race-car.
Btw, after 3 flying laps with the RAC I achieved a 2:52.2.

[Edit]
Random fact from testing: The FZ5 can make a pass on a FZR in a straight line. I managed to nicely draft pass a FZR on the main straight (while laughing like a maniac ).
[/Edit]

Vain
I must say I was tempted to switch to the RAC but I've spent too much time practicing with the FZ5 (3-4 full-length races and hotlapping in-between).

I DID do several laps when trying to decide between the two earlier on and the RAC definitely seemed to take some corners more easily than the FZ5 and isn't as prone to those long, annoying oversteer slides that seem to want to go on forever if you don't catch them right away. But the FZ5 has a higher straight-line speed and I'm able to maintain laps in the 1:50-1:52 range for the entire 10 laps with the same set of tires with only a bit of wrestling towards the end, so I'm thinking it's going to be the car for me. Still not sure what my fastest lap is since I've only been practicing with 40% fuel!

Still plenty of time to switch cars before the first race. The RAC feels much lighter on its feet, which is definitely ideal when surrounded by other cars .

I think the only part of the track that has me iffy is the mini Eau-Rouge. There's a few ways to take it but I've yet to gain the right consistency there. I have a feeling we'll have some spins at that section on the first lap...
As said in the Signup Thread. I have to miss this one since i'm away on Holiday.

Have Fun.
Man, comparing my PB to the times quoted here so far suggests that i'm going to have my arse handed to me, i'd better get in some more practice!
same here, my best so far being a 2:52. Having said that i can do better once i get my head around the fact that this is not an FZR so it doesn't brake and handle as good.
Yeah, it's just getting into the correct "mindset" for "the whale", as I like to call it.

IMO, consistantly reasonable times are probably better than "hotlap" times, it's a 10 lap race afterall, and unless you conserve tyres, the last few laps will be VERY loose.
Anyone up for practice give me a PM
I should be around tomorrow evening, from about 6pm BST onwards.
I must say I'm really looking forward to this competition, but not sure I'll be competative; my PB so far is a low 2:54 in the RAC, but that's without much practice. I'll be on late tonight to get my setup sorted and to work on my consistancy around the track.

Good luck for Thursday, all
Quote from elkdanger :I must say I'm really looking forward to this competition, but not sure I'll be competative

You and me both fella, I am REALLY looking forward to it, even though I couldn't compete in most of the races last year, those that I did race in were awesome .

As for being competative, I wouldn't worry about it too much, these cars are a bit of a wildcard at times, but there are some VERY quick drivers, even some WR holders
My best time so far is a high 49 in my FZ5 offline. Quite happy with that Looking forward to the race...Will be a blast.
I've just been practicing for an hour, sweat patches and all , it got me a mid 53, with 40% fuel in the tank
Quote from danowat :Yeah, it's just getting into the correct "mindset" for "the whale", as I like to call it.

Indeed, I think it was calibrating my reactions to the width of the track that caught me off-guard. It can feel like you're cornering much slower than the car's capabilities.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG