The online racing simulator
Did I really say that ....? Part 45678
(8 posts, started )
Every so often a politician stops thinking long enough to tell the truth.

And so often it is our dear Australian cousins.

Work out what this means for yourselves

Iraq deployment linked to oil: Nelson

By ABC News
Australia

07/05/07"
ABC" --- -- Defence Minister Brendan Nelson says securing the world's oil supply is one of the Federal Government's considerations as it decides how long to keep troops in Iraq.

The statement has prompted Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd to accuse Prime Minister John Howard of "making it up as he goes along" on Iraq.

The Government released its update on national defence policy this morning, warning of the ongoing threat from terrorism and continuing problems with fragile states in our region.

Speaking ahead of the release, Dr Nelson confirmed the Government viewed Australia's involvement in Iraq as partially driven by the need to secure oil supplies, although he said the main reason was to ensure that the humanitarian crisis did not worsen.

"The defence update we're releasing today sets out many priorities for Australia's defence and security - and resource security is one of them," he said.

"Obviously the Middle East itself, not only Iraq, but the entire region is an important supplier of energy, oil in particular, to the rest of the world."
#2 - Slopi

Control of the supply - of the price of oil, in fact - is paramount in the US plan. Call it "resource security" or whatever you like, Dr Nelson, but it is the single most important reason the invasion happened.

Kevin Rudd is entirely correct - the Australian government has indeed been making up its war justification as it goes along, just like the UK & US governments. It's way past the time our elected officials (not elected by me, ftr) stopped giving us this endless bollocks about 9/11, al-Qaeda, WMD, regime change or flying goddam monkeys. "Resource security" is just the latest war excuse to make the list. Difference is, this one's actually true. Most of us think it's about the damn oil anyway, so how about they just can the crap and give it to us straight? We're grownups. We can take it. I just can't help but wonder what Dubya promised Prime Minister Howard to get him to drag my country into this bullshit ...
Quote from Hankstar :I just can't help but wonder what Dubya promised Prime Minister Howard to get him to drag my country into this bullshit ...

Don't know that either, but it's obvious why you guys were dragged into the mess: everyone knows you're the best warriors to fight for oil!

Well, that is true - no man can stand between a mad Aussie and his fluid But being good at something isn't a good reason in itself to go and do something. I'm pretty good at singing like Doris Day, but there's very rarely any good time or place (or justification) to do it
Quote from Julppu :Don't know that either, but it's obvious why you guys were dragged into the mess: everyone knows you're the best warriors to fight for oil!

Nah, one aussie was good the rest sucked (max managed to beat like 100+ bad guys chasing him(well thats how manys in the gang it seems), hes well 'ard)
Quote from fragile_dog :Nah, one aussie was good the rest sucked (max managed to beat like 100+ bad guys chasing him(well thats how manys in the gang it seems), hes well 'ard)

You gotta think outside the movies. The gang wouldn't have survived if they couldn't have fought for gasoline. Max was just too tough for them.

Maybe George promised that there would be huge amounts of roos to shoot in Iraq? Offering truckloads of their (ie. American) beer could not have been the lure, obviously.
well i think all that needs to be said is , Team America Runs The World Economy , anyone who don't believe me , look at the biggest company's in the world in different sectors of the world economy , because Macdonald's controls food , Microsoft holds computers ( information tech ) and general motors ( ford ) controls the car sector ( tho i think its Renault/Nissan who is taking over ) as just an example so no wonder when ever theres any form of challenge to Americas " way of life " then they have to " protect " it

(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG