The online racing simulator
Quote from gp4racer :I need your help!!! I’ve a nvidia agp 32 mB and I want to buy a new video card, my fps are pretty low with 12 cars...
some of them are,

#1 ATI RADEON 9250 128MB AGP TV OUT
#2 ATI RADEON 9250 256MB AGP TV OUT
#3 ATI RADEON X300SE 128MB PCI EXPRESS
#4 VIDEO GEFORCE FX5200 256MB AGP TV OUT
#5 GEFORCE MX4000 128MB AGP TV OUT

Many thanks!

The Ati Radeon 9250 256mb - Im affraid i own one. Preformance is OK. I run around 25-35FPS on a full grid from the line, and runs between 35-50fps.

My system is an Athlon 64 3000+, 1024MB ram

Cheers,
My actual video card drops to 8-10 fps, with full grid and the start line...when i driving alone, and with the view of the driver and visible tyres, rise until 40 fps...

very weird, but this game its great!!
Now Im confused, my system is a
2.4GHz Pent 4
256 6600le
1024meg ram
ont mention hard disc stuff as not to important, nonthe less sata is involved. I have a measly 15fps on a full grisd and a woping 100 (if i pull the LOD(whatever that is) down to minimum), when just me, now i need to find a way to sort this any suggestions?
Quote from AndroidXP :. Don't go for the GF 5*** FX series, they are utter crap.

I know it's really a low end card but i have one and i do have to defend it..

for the 40 bucks i paid for it I'm satisfied.. I get 100fps in the dash veiw in S1 (havent tested it with full grid) and i get 60-70fps dash veiw in s2 (25-35fps with 10-12 cars)..

its a decent card for 40 bucks, but if i had the money to go better, i'd definetly choose that choice.
Quote from jaimi :Now Im confused, my system is a
2.4GHz Pent 4
256 6600le
1024meg ram
ont mention hard disc stuff as not to important, nonthe less sata is involved. I have a measly 15fps on a full grisd and a woping 100 (if i pull the LOD(whatever that is) down to minimum), when just me, now i need to find a way to sort this any suggestions?

I'd hazard a guess its likely to be the 6600le. They're not known to be the best cards in the word - admitedly I havent had one, but they're supposed to be fairly slow. With the transparent windows now in LFS this *could* cause a problem. In theory.

A few solutions:
  • start playing with graphics settings in LFS - there could be a setting combination for you in there
  • temporarily swap out the 6660LE with a friend and see if you can get any change in performance
  • Out of interest, is the AGP slot running at full speed? That should be an 8x card.
Do these problems always occur? Or does it get worse over time?
Are other games running OK? I don't know what is 6600LE, but whatever it is, it MUST be able to run LFS smoothly. run 3DMark03(http://www.futuremark.com) and post your results. Also try to send us your WHOLE system spec(Motherboard, Soundcard, driver versions....). I think we'll be able to help you.....

Quote :Not exactly. Vertex shaders are small programs run by GPU usually moving or transformating vertexes (points the triangles are made of). Before shader technology all vertex moving and rotation, ragdoll effects, and physics were done by CPU. Now these effects are done by VShaders. Of course not all physics but deformations or cloth effects (see flags or cloths in SW Battlefront 2) are 90% done on HVS.

Thx for correction...., I gonna update my knowledge...
I recently replaced my Prophet 2 MX 32MB with an ATI Radeon 9550 256MB (it was < £50) and increased my FPS from 15-20 to between 40 & 60 depending upon how many other cars are running.

My rig is AMD XP2000 512MB DDR not o/c.

Apparently, the 9550 is pretty good for overclocking, but I haven't felt the need.
Quote from the_angry_angel :I'd hazard a guess its likely to be the 6600le. They're not known to be the best cards in the word - admitedly I havent had one, but they're supposed to be fairly slow. With the transparent windows now in LFS this *could* cause a problem. In theory.

A few solutions:
  • start playing with graphics settings in LFS - there could be a setting combination for you in there
  • temporarily swap out the 6660LE with a friend and see if you can get any change in performance
  • Out of interest, is the AGP slot running at full speed? That should be an 8x card.
Do these problems always occur? Or does it get worse over time?

Over time, Ive played with the settings (i would have gone better GFX but all my retailers around me suck). I have put the priority on LFS up to "Realtime" and get arounds 5-10 FPS better but its a strange one as i can play a server thats packed and it runs great, log out turn off pc and then come back on a while later, again back to the same server with all the same drvers and its 5-10FPS time.

Would updating to PCI-x give any better performance or just a CPU upgrade do it?
Quote from MadCatX :Are other games running OK? I don't know what is 6600LE, but whatever it is, it MUST be able to run LFS smoothly. run 3DMark03(http://www.futuremark.com) and post your results. Also try to send us your WHOLE system spec(Motherboard, Soundcard, driver versions....). I think we'll be able to help you.....

Thx for correction...., I gonna update my knowledge...

here are my sytem specks
Attached files
SystemInfo version 3.doc - 503.5 KB - 162 views
Quote from jaimi :Over time, Ive played with the settings (i would have gone better GFX but all my retailers around me suck). I have put the priority on LFS up to "Realtime" and get arounds 5-10 FPS better but its a strange one as i can play a server thats packed and it runs great, log out turn off pc and then come back on a while later, again back to the same server with all the same drvers and its 5-10FPS time.

I'm willing to bet that theres something screwy running on boot, or possibly some dodgy RAM, especially if its ok sometimes and not others.

Quote from jaimi :Would updating to PCI-x give any better performance or just a CPU upgrade do it?

Depending on whats causing it, yes, but remember you need a PCI-x slot to put that card in.
Woohoo, there is A LOT of backgound tasks runnung on your system(about 50, I have 32 at the moment) . Check TaskManager(rightclick on taskbar -> select Task Manager) and try to shut down everything what you will be able to shut down. Also go to BIOS and enable HyperThreadnig there, it may help.

Run virusscanner, the best way is to run test "after restart" - testing starts before Windows finished booting(Avast! can do this, www.avast.com)

And at last, I see you have a C-Media audio, I have newer version and I have some problems with it. Press SHIFT+N in LFS, it will cut all sound calculations. If you framerate will boost by this(frames grows always when you cut sound - less CPU load, so let us know how much did it helped), disable HW sound acceleration in DXDIAG(Start -> Run -> type DXDIAG).

The last thing what you can do is to lend some disk(if you dont want to format) and do clean install....
Okay i got hacked off with it yesterday and called in support (stax dad, always helps to have a pc tech in the family). I had it in bits and tried different ram and older cards to no avail. I was going to do a blank and rebuild but could not be arsed.

Killed of alot of things booting up using msconfig (i love that tool), still nought happened. much anger on my part.

So deleted LFS and did a fresh Download and install. And walla (did not have to unlock for some reason but cool) much better frame rate. Thanks for all your help.

one question tho. why does blackwood have a really bad frame rate compaired to other tracks?

ps tried the sound card thing and got worse frame rate for disabling hardware support. but changed to normal instead of full and that seems best. thanks for that.

thanks for all the help gouranga and be happy.

merry humbug
Maybe some textures in old LFS dir were corrupted or your CFG files messed somehow. Clean installation corrected it all.... congratulations....

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG