main frameworkending/early stages/getting there/nearly finished/done

obviously only one of those but you get the idea
Quote from Becky Rose :Rough Progress Update:
Core System: 75% Complete
Interface & Mods: ~30%
SQL System: Bugged at the moment, needs to be replaced
Reporting System: 0%
Events: 0%

This post is still fairly recent, it does show roughly where we are at. There's a few things to tweak in the core system and a couple of missing features, but it's pretty much there now. The interface backbone is there, but it's not fully finished yet and that interfaces with many of the mods which are barely touched on (such as the sector flag indicators).

The biggest "problem" with the software atm is the propensity for the SQL system to crash. I held off changing to a different SQL library when the problems first started because I wanted to try a few things, i've tried most of them and it's still crashing - mostly when switching tables and opening / closing connections to the database. At the moment i'm just not getting the debug information I need to fix it, so everything is a stab in the dark. I am still considering moving to a new SQL library, ALL SQL queries are done in a self contained include file so this isn't too bad, I guess, but it's not something I want to do.

I've not yet done the reporting or events system, or the [smaller but still significant] private messaging system.
Quote from Becky Rose :This post is still fairly recent, it does show roughly where we are at. There's a few things to tweak in the core system and a couple of missing features, but it's pretty much there now. The interface backbone is there, but it's not fully finished yet and that interfaces with many of the mods which are barely touched on (such as the sector flag indicators).

The biggest "problem" with the software atm is the propensity for the SQL system to crash. I held off changing to a different SQL library when the problems first started because I wanted to try a few things, i've tried most of them and it's still crashing - mostly when switching tables and opening / closing connections to the database. At the moment i'm just not getting the debug information I need to fix it, so everything is a stab in the dark. I am still considering moving to a new SQL library, ALL SQL queries are done in a self contained include file so this isn't too bad, I guess, but it's not something I want to do.

I've not yet done the reporting or events system, or the [smaller but still significant] private messaging system.

Sounds like a lot of work and i bet it is keep up the good work Becky and everyone.
Omg...All I have to say is....HOLY CRAP, This server is going to rule. CTRA is going to be the best racing on LFS by FAR. Amazing work Becky!!
Most of you wont have known but i've just been in hospital and have just returned, i'm a little groggy and cant speak more than a few words before toadness kicks in and I cant find ANY clean skirts or trousers that still fit me, have I put on weight? Argh. Anyway, i'm back and I plan to sort out the SQL problems on CTRA today, I think, possibly, we'll see. Anyway that's what I want to do. First I must go out to the shop because I need foundation and a leg hair deforester, only, i've nothing to wear to get there.

CTRA X-System is currently waiting for my clothes to dry, only I didnt think about it terribly well and did jeans which take ages - so i'm about to put something else on to wash now instead...
Quote from Becky Rose :i'm a little groggy and cant speak more than a few words before toadness kicks in and I cant find ANY clean skirts or trousers that still fit me, have I put on weight? Argh. Anyway, i'm back and I plan to sort out the SQL problems on CTRA today, I think, possibly, we'll see. Anyway that's what I want to do. First I must go out to the shop because I need foundation and a leg hair deforester, only, i've nothing to wear to get there.

CTRA X-System is currently waiting for my clothes to dry, only I didnt think about it terribly well and did jeans which take ages - so i'm about to put something else on to wash now instead...

:hypnotize Maybe those hospital drugs are still in effect??

LOL, I first thought you need some foundation and a leg hair deFROSTER, and I thought to meself, "geez it must be cold there". :chairs:
hey becky make shure your 100% first no need to naf yourself up byworking when your still a big grogy, we can weight a bit more, your health is more important
bah - it's the perfect chance to get a load done!
Hope you get better soon, but keep in mind that if you're still under the influence of medication your programming could do more harm than good . Not that you wake up tomorrow and wish a thousand deaths to that jerk who put together that piece of crap spaghetti code
Quote from Becky Rose :I cant find ANY clean skirts or trousers that still fit me, have I put on weight?

Hah! My wife was out of town all week and didn't hire a babysitter for me. So I ran out of bread, cereal, frozen pizza, macaroni and cheese, crackers, and clean clothes. She came back just in time. There were 8 dirty pairs of socks next to my desk in here.
One of the 'facts of sim racing' is that if you crash out not only is your race over, but next race you have to come through the pack aswell because you start from where ever you finished. In some servers the grid is reversed which is makes for excellent racing, or it makes of disaster, it's much more variable than a grid based on finishing position.

One solution is random grids, but whilst this is a fairly fair way of providing lots of varied racing, the truth is its not actually fair at all - some people win in Vegas, some wash out...

Another issue I had to address was that on one server at least cars with greatly different acceleration characteristics would feature in the same race. So some form of grid ordering was needed.

What i've done, is i've fixed the problem of one crash ruining your next race, i've made the grid assigned by merit but kept it dynamic enough so drivers having a good night get their just rewards. You can even skip a race and keep your allotted grid position which you can lookup via the new $grid command.

The core system is around 90% complete now, The new SQL library is almost ready to go too, although i'm currently running on the old one still the rewrite is almost complete.
I've also rewritten the other end of the race.

See I have a little annoyance with LFS, if I put the minimap on the right I loose it on the last lap and sometimes I need it - but as the results start coming up onscreen poof goes the minimap. If I put it on the left then a little bit of chat text is all it takes and I cant see the see thing that side either.

So it strikes me if I can hide the results, which LFS lets me do, then I can put it on the right. Then all I need to do is rewrite the results screen so that it appears when I cross the finish line.

So this is what i've done. This also has the advantage of letting me recall it during the next race with the $result (s) command, and i've added extra information to it. I had to make one or two compromises because on a 32 car grid I just ran out of buttons to show everything with, but it's a much more details screen. It also lets me collate results more proportionately when doing multi-class racing.
Quote from Becky Rose :I've also rewritten the other end of the race.

See I have a little annoyance with LFS, if I put the minimap on the right I loose it on the last lap and sometimes I need it - but as the results start coming up onscreen poof goes the minimap. If I put it on the left then a little bit of chat text is all it takes and I cant see the see thing that side either.

So it strikes me if I can hide the results, which LFS lets me do, then I can put it on the right. Then all I need to do is rewrite the results screen so that it appears when I cross the finish line.

So this is what i've done. This also has the advantage of letting me recall it during the next race with the $result (s) command, and i've added extra information to it. I had to make one or two compromises because on a 32 car grid I just ran out of buttons to show everything with, but it's a much more details screen. It also lets me collate results more proportionately when doing multi-class racing.

I must be reading this wrong is this not what the CTRL-TAB setting on AUTO does all by itself? Meaning not whowing the results unless you are finished yourself?

I can imagine it lets you do more with it from serverside now maybe. I know some ppl are so defensive about how THEY decide the settings
There are some visual mods that are fixed, the sector flags and the new style RCM message - all other mods including the results I plan to make optional although it'll default to on. I've been thinking about making a $mod command that lets you permanently set which mods you want on and off.
You have been to the hospital ?. I hope everything is alright ?.
If you still are feel sick then take a rest, your health is much more important then the new patch on CTRA.

You called this thread a teaser, well it is defitnly becoming a teaser by reading your post. I just can`t wait when CTRA-X goes live.
Every day I read this thread to find out if there is anything new added.

You and all the others who working on CTRA-X are doing a marvellous job. Thank you all.
Yes, I had an operation on my throat. This means I cant talk, which means I cant work, which means I can work on the CTRA X-System instead In every cloud there is a silver lining !

I'm actually finding working on this quite theraputic, every completed feature lifts some more burden off my shoulders as I no longer have to worry about it.

There is still one major fly in the ointment though and that's the SQL problems. I am working with the author of an different SQL library to migrate the system over to his library from the one I was using. When that's in I can re-enable half the stuff i've coded that is crashing and can do things that at the moment I am holding off on - like statistical tracking and the reports & events system.

Until I get a stable SQL implementation then every new SQL call I make has the net result of making the system less stable so I do feel a bit trapped at the moment in terms of getting the system finished and with you guys.

I hope, and it's just a hope, to break through the SQL migration today. I just hope the new SQL library works! If it doesn't we'll have to develop a web based API again, but the whole point of moving to this new development tool (and taking the added internal-complication hit of a lower level language) was because it had some SQL libraries for it.
Get well soon and hope everything will go fine today.
The new SQL module was finished this morning and has tested fine, i'm now sinking my teath into the reporting system .
Quote from Becky Rose :The new SQL module was finished this morning and has tested fine, i'm now sinking my teath into the reporting system .

Good luck!

Also, congrats on having the operation Hope it all went perfectly well!

*chants* Wee Need Ser-vers! Wee Need Ser-vers!
Quote from Becky Rose :The new SQL module was finished this morning and has tested fine, i'm now sinking my teath into the reporting system .

phew... thank goodness.
Becky, I was talking with a buddy the other night and the idea of paying to repair damage came up. Ever given any thought to a credit system where you earn them for winning races and then have to spend to repair damage from races?
We spent all day on it today and got loads done. At times it was difficult with my inability to use the spoken word. Everytime I want to swear at my computer I have to write it down on pen and paper that I keep next to my computer then hold the paper up at the screen.

The reporting system is a huge amount of work because it involves things like the server side replay archiving. We did lots of SQL stuff too today with the new $stats ($myinfo's sequel), and debugged some stuff in the core system and added some new features here and there along with the usual array of post-flurry tweaks.

It's really shaping up, but there's still a few major hurdles to overcome. The reporting system is the current big hurdle and I have got quite a bit done - but there's more to do yet. Once i've finished that then Sam can start work on the new back end admin interface, as we're doing that web based again as that's just easier than doing it live with insim buttons. We've really taken on boards the comments we receives about not keeping in touch with reportee's - I think we've solved that now.
Quote from Becky Rose :Everytime I want to swear at my computer I have to write it down on pen and paper that I keep next to my computer then hold the paper up at the screen.

LMAO! that creates a quite hilarious image
Quote from Becky Rose :We spent all day on it today and got loads done. At times it was difficult with my inability to use the spoken word. Everytime I want to swear at my computer I have to write it down on pen and paper that I keep next to my computer then hold the paper up at the screen.

The reporting system is a huge amount of work because it involves things like the server side replay archiving. We did lots of SQL stuff too today with the new $stats ($myinfo's sequel), and debugged some stuff in the core system and added some new features here and there along with the usual array of post-flurry tweaks.

It's really shaping up, but there's still a few major hurdles to overcome. The reporting system is the current big hurdle and I have got quite a bit done - but there's more to do yet. Once i've finished that then Sam can start work on the new back end admin interface, as we're doing that web based again as that's just easier than doing it live with insim buttons. We've really taken on boards the comments we receives about not keeping in touch with reportee's - I think we've solved that now.

Funny if you are talking about you and your PC. Does it have a name also
We as in the UKCT people, and although we do very little work we want lots of credit!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG