The online racing simulator
Clutch / Ignition
(16 posts, started )
Clutch / Ignition
Just noticed that when the car runs out of gas the user can still make it to the pits. (VERY VERY slowly). They can do this by putting the car and gear and repeatedly pushing the ignition button. Though I wouldn't reccommend it, in real-life the car has a protection needing the clutch to be pressed. This is adding realism and isn't a HUGE deal just thought you should know.

Also along the same topic, if the car is driving along the road say 50mph (80kph) and the ignition button is pressed, the engine should not shut down UNLESS the car is in neutral, or the clutch is engaged. (The car should also start back up when the clutch is disengaged while in gear.) I know these are very minor, but just pointing things out!
Quote from blackbird04217 :in real-life the car has a protection needing the clutch to be pressed.

No, only modern cars whose designers implemented safety checks for the dumbest possible driver have this.
I've only heard of some auto boxes doing this, I don't think such a system has ever been used on a manual car (which is what we have in LFS, so the behaviour is correct).
A lot of American cars require the clutch to be pressed. That's because the car manufacturers realised that the average American isn't clever enough to check the gear lever before cranking.

You might think it's wrong to say it, but the majority of car manufacturers exporting to the US can't be wrong
Quote from tristancliffe :That's because the car manufacturers realised that the average American isn't clever enough to check the gear lever before cranking.

Hmm, so that's what that stick that comes out of the floor does...
Quote from tristancliffe :A lot of American cars require the clutch to be pressed. That's because the car manufacturers realised that the average American isn't clever enough to check the gear lever before cranking.

You might think it's wrong to say it, but the majority of car manufacturers exporting to the US can't be wrong

I think a more accurate statement is that the average American simply buys an automatic. Ease of use, especially in stop-and-go traffic for long distances, is a high priority for many people here.

The average manual transmission buying American certainly knows to not start the car with it in gear.
My dad has used this approach to get out of deep water when his engine stalled (probably like 15 years ago :razz. He put it in first and used the starter to slowly pull himself out of the flooded road. Can't remember what car he was driving though.
Yea, There is a switch that makes you hold the clutch down to start the car. I just take a piece of wire and short it out so I don't have to do it anymore. It damages your crankshaft, bearings, clutch, and a few other things as well. It goes along with holding the clutch in while at a stop. I wish I still had the crankshaft to show you guys but doing that wears a big ass groove in the end of it.
Um,

Actually. When I took my drivers licence this is what I was told: Let's say you're extremely unlucky and run out of fuel, and you happen to stop smack dab on a train track. Instead of stepping out of the car and pushing it you can simply have the start-engine pull the car forward by trying to start the car in first gear.

They also told me that's why the bars brake so easily.
Quote from skstibi :Yea, There is a switch that makes you hold the clutch down to start the car. I just take a piece of wire and short it out so I don't have to do it anymore. It damages your crankshaft, bearings, clutch, and a few other things as well. It goes along with holding the clutch in while at a stop. I wish I still had the crankshaft to show you guys but doing that wears a big ass groove in the end of it.

What?

You reckon pressing the clutch damages cranks? You must be crazy, stupid or uninformed (or a combination)... Most people automatically press the clutch when starting the car (just in case it's in gear). No one is saying don't. The conversation was about how quite a lot of Stateside cars won't let you start at all without doing so.

It doesn't damage clutches or cranks or anything.
Quote from tristancliffe :You reckon pressing the clutch damages cranks?

I think what he means is, that there is probably more clutch wear if you engage it for a longer time instead of putting the gear to neutral, e.g. if standing in front of a traffic light. Maybe I'm uninformed as well, but that's what I was told in driving school.
Quote from GP4Flo :I think what he means is, that there is probably more clutch wear if you engage it for a longer time instead of putting the gear to neutral

Yes, that is true. But, what does clutchwear have to do with the crankshaft of the engine?
The clutch wear of cranking an engine at 300rpm to get it started is going to be about 0.1% more than if you just press the clutch when it's started to engage first. It's just not worth the worry when starting a car in gear without pressing the clutch results in the above video (I assume; I couldn't be bothered to watch it).
Quote from tristancliffe :It's just not worth the worry when starting a car in gear without pressing the clutch results in the above video (I assume; I couldn't be bothered to watch it).

It's the one where the idiot kid starts up his dad's mustang and drives through a garage.

Clutch / Ignition
(16 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG