The online racing simulator
Project Nurburgring
(246 posts, started )
No Nurburgring because the LIC is in SONY
But we can call it "THE RING" XD
Quote from pauleden :I'd like to have the 'Ring in LFS.

Paul (Rover 220) Lap 1, 12 mins. Lap 2, crashed.

there u said it yourself: lap 2 crashed, no one would like to drive 5 laps onit, maybe for the first few months or so but then it will be history like MRT and BF1, give us Zolder, Spa-Francorchamp-ish tracks more fun
+1 for the Nürnburgring

But since in this thread, a +1 and -1 seems not to go without a written oppinion , here's my story:

Why real life tracks in LFS:
+ As a kid, I used to drive the good old Formula One Grand Prix a lot. And I remember how fascinating it was watching the real pro's driving on the same track - seeing the lines they choose and the perfection. It didn't even mather, if there was not a single overtaking in the whole race.
+ LFS is that good, that it not only can be used to get to know the track, you can actually get to know how to drive the track. And I just can imagine the feeling to go to a track, get laughed at because of saying you practiced it on the computer, and then kick ass by beeing several seconds faster than all the other hobby drivers on the track.

Why no real life tracks in LFS:
- I only see one reason, the rest are rather problems. The one reason is, that we can get several fictional tracks in the time we can get one real life copy. It's hell of a difference just to do something and if it does work out slightly different than planned it doesn't matter or try to find out how something has to be and then do an exact replication of it. Maybe, if you want to do a good fictional track, the difference is not that big anymore, but who says, that the real life track is good. (My definition of a good track: a track, that brings action into the race and is fun to drive. The fun thing is somewhat subjectiv, but regarding the action part, we also have quite some tracks in LFS, that miss that part. We had quite some league races, where our top drivers did a 80 minute Trulli-train because there was no chance to overtake.)

Some of the problems (license, effort, track data) could become reasons, if they are not solveable. But on this points, everything is a speculation and are therefore for me no valid reasons against real time tracks unless the devs tell us otherwhise. The only thing we can do, is to give this request a certain priority on our wishlist. And if we say, we want rain, realistic wind and better damage model first, it just pushes the real life tracks down the list - but not off the list.

Why I vote for Nürnburgring and not for real life tracks in general:
I watch quite a lot of races on tv, but I never felt the need of having one of the tracks in LFS. But when I watched the 24h race on the Nordschleife recently, I really, really, really would have loved to race on it in LFS. After all, it is the most challenging race track on earth.

kr
Lion
Quote from TheBlackLion :we can get several fictional tracks in the time we can get one real life copy

Nicely put. Because we never hear from Eric nor see any signs of work in progress we assume that his productivity is very low. I think a lot of the anxiety shown here about developing a realistic Nordschleife is that the amount of our Eric "budget" that would be needed to develop the track to the customary high quality standards of LFS means that we wouldn't get anything else for a very long time.

If we were getting periodic new content we could use, or simply even a progress report from time to time, we could build up a better picture of how long these things take and how 'expensive' developing the Nordschleife is in terms of dev time.

I'd absolutely love the real Nordschleife in the game, and would be prepared to pay extra just for it, but I would think twice if I knew that it means that I would not get any other content whatsoever as it represented ten Eric-years of development. Conversely, we would all reassess our expectations if we knew that we should only expect one new fictional track every three years from Eric anyway.

Finally, in GPL, more often than not you were battling against the track itself and not so much other racers. The only times I remember seeing other cars was in the first few corners, thereafter it was a case of keeping the Lotus on the circuit. I don't remember feeling that it was anything other than a thrilling experience, even if I never quite cracked 8 minutes.

Rakhsh
+1 would LOVE to rece the ring in lfs but a new track from eric would be just as good
are you talking about the "nordschleife" or the modern nürburgring?

+1 for nordschleife
-1 for modern nürburgring

but i think the problem is: the devs are not going to give out any development tools at the moment. this means, only the devs can model the whole thing, which means it takes ages to have the complete track in a acceptable quality.
Quote from Fischfix :are you talking about the "nordschleife" or the modern nürburgring?

+1 for nordschleife
-1 for modern nürburgring

but i think the problem is: the devs are not going to give out any development tools at the moment. this means, only the devs can model the whole thing, which means it takes ages to have the complete track in a acceptable quality.

How aboyt 24hr track?
At the end of the day, as fun as it would be to go for a bash round 'The Ring' in LFS, how important is it? If it never appears in LFS, will I never play the game again in disgust? Nope. The fantasy tracks are great fun.

If people are desperate for a real track to be in LFS then I'd suggest (as many others already have) that a smaller circuit would be a good idea. Imagine how many other tracks could be made in the time it would take to craft a perfect Nürburgring. Quite a few probably...well...two as a reasonable assumption. So my question would be, 2 new fantasy tracks or one ring? I love 2 for 1 deals myself.

I'm in the "I don't care about having real race tracks but if they appear one day then that'd be nice thanks very much" camp myself.

P.S. I don't think a simulation requires real racing tracks to be a serious simulator. The simulation part is the physical model and the track is the environment in which that simulation is played out. That is an opinion of course and one that will undoubtedly be proven wrong at some point.

P.P.S I feel if real things are going to be added to LFS then I must demand that a 1.6 liter Rover 400 is added to the game as that's the car that I am forced to drive at the moment (it's not all that bad...really...) and if real stuff is going in the game then my car has to go in there. Period.
With the huge lack of race craft being demonstrated on public servers recently I wonder how many racers would never even finish one lap of the Ring. We'd probably start calling it "The n00burgring". :hidesbehi
Gold
Quote from Gunn :With the huge lack of race craft being demonstrated on public servers recently I wonder how many racers would never even finish one lap of the Ring. We'd probably start calling it "The n00burgring". :hidesbehi

Survival would be part of the fun
In 'GT4' I did 24 hours at the nordschliefe with pauses.

The young guys have no stamina.
Pfft Nurburgring gets boring after a while :P

haha only joking, I'll be going on my third trip to Nurburgring this year in August
nurb is just tooooo long, it's only a hard track cus it's hard not to fall asleep, and the tracks so bumpy and narrow theres nowhere to overtake, and if someone did it'd end up in tears all the time. imo the only RL track worth putting in lfs is maybe le mans if you want a big track, or something like brands hatch and spa, nurb is just not good enough for public servers and yes it'd get put aside like the MRT and BF1

-1 for nurb
+1 for shorter RL tracks like brands or spa
it wouldn't be good for drifters
drifters would never get 1 lap done, their tyres would be ripped by 1/4 of the way, then they'll have to pit! so -1:thumbsdow
but i like the idea of having a LM track, nice long straight for top speed runs and damanding corners for fun!!!! :thumdsup
Quote from g7usl :In 'GT4' I did 24 hours at the nordschliefe with pauses.

The young guys have no stamina.

LOL, where's your stamina?

Quote :drifters would never get 1 lap done, their tyres would be ripped by 1/4 of the way, then they'll have to pit! so -1:thumbsdow

Though it is my opinion that it is wonderful that LFS is good enough for you to drift with, LFS is not a drifting sim. So, your opinion on a racing item is null due to LFS being racing focused. So sorry, but that is the way it is. No offense....
Quote from BenjiMC :nurb is just tooooo long, it's only a hard track cus it's hard not to fall asleep, and the tracks so bumpy and narrow theres nowhere to overtake, and if someone did it'd end up in tears all the time. imo the only RL track worth putting in lfs is maybe le mans if you want a big track, or something like brands hatch and spa, nurb is just not good enough for public servers and yes it'd get put aside like the MRT and BF1

-1 for nurb

I would die for narrower tracks! IMO The game definitively lacks it. Wide tracks are ok with the fastest cars but boring with the others. A spa clone would be the same as what we already have! Useless

I sometimes like to play on city driving servers for this reason! They have narrow segments that are a way more interesting to drive than the original tracks
Quote from BenjiMC :nurb is just tooooo long, it's only a hard track cus it's hard not to fall asleep, and the tracks so bumpy and narrow theres nowhere to overtake, and if someone did it'd end up in tears all the time. imo the only RL track worth putting in lfs is maybe le mans if you want a big track, or something like brands hatch and spa, nurb is just not good enough for public servers and yes it'd get put aside like the MRT and BF1

-1 for nurb

R/L tracks that are shorter and might be able to be licenced by LFS

Rockingham - not owned by Jonny Palmer, lots of configs, would suit all tracks. Not licenced to run in either direction.
Knockhill - Normal and RX, could be ran in reverse as IRL it is licenced to run in either direction.
Thruxton - Maybe not, only 1 config but then again I'd have to mention it as it's my local track
Le Luc - Old private test track of AGS team, if LFS were to speak to them they could maybe get some of their old F1 cars. 2.4 and 2.0km varients.

the payback for all the effort wouldn't be worth it

having said that, if it did exist in LFS one day, I'd have a go at it for sure, but I would never expect to have a fun RACE there.
Quote from BenjiMC :it's only a hard track cus it's hard not to fall asleep,

Maybe drive faster then so you don't fall asleep.

Anyway. +1 obviously.
But when I watched the 24h race on the Nordschleife recently, I really, really, really would have loved to race on it in LFS. After all, it is the most challenging race track on earth.

kr
Lion

I really believe that it is in fact, the second most challenging circuit.

Top of the tree is the fabulous Isle of Man TT 37+ mile road race circuit. real road racing.............
I''l put ten dolars through Paypal.....to anyone....lfs ist great but it needs more great tracks...its the same thing about the crappy NKpro, why stefano can build real f1 tracks and nobody complaints about that???

Ten dollarssss....
Track
In my opinion we need a veerrry fast track with fast curves, but with a lot of altitude changes we can see in NBR -Nordschleife...and houri
Than it is very interesting to make setups for this track
Just want to add, that the real Nürburgring has 6 configurations - shortest 1.5km and longest the Nordschleife with more than 20km.

So it would also fit nicely into the concept of LFS tracks (if you ignore Westhill)
I think improvements should be given this order of priority:

1) Improve physics. (already quite good)

2) Add real tracks. (The fantasy tracks are well done and they offer a new experience for people who've raced other sims. However, many people desire to learn real tracks so they can relate to televised races or practice for track days. I would wait patiently and pay $10 for Nurburgring.)

3) Add real cars. (The current cars are either real or inspired by real cars which is good. I think there are still some car classes that don't have representation e.g. shifter kart, production supercar, Le Mans Prototype, Rally racecar, and perhaps NASCAR. Also the MRT should be updated to a lighter, more powerful FSAE car. Sorry McGill.)

Project Nurburgring
(246 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG