The online racing simulator
Brake fading
(19 posts, started )
#1 - s1m0n
Brake fading
Not sure this has been suggested, if it has been... Sorry to waste your time.
One of the things LFS is missing (I believe) the most is brake fading.
Just imagine SO races and after a few hard braking, brakes overheat and start to fade! Or, in 24h race brakes wear and tear and after a 2 hours race you wear them to nothing and you can barely stop.
Also, what would be nice if we could choose brake types between lets say hard, medium and soft. Hard last longer but brake less and soft last short and break hard.
Yup, has already been suggested quite a few times. You might want to check this
#3 - Renku
been suggested a gazillion times but yeah would be cool to have to pump the brakes
Quote from Barroso :been suggested a gazillion times but yeah would be cool to have to pump the brakes

Only if you could feel the difference between a normal pedal and a soft one. Otherwise you'd need to have some other kind of visual guide to the state of the brakes.
Quote from sinbad :Otherwise you'd need to have some other kind of visual guide to the state of the brakes.

The wall coming closer at alarming rates
Quote from sinbad :Only if you could feel the difference between a normal pedal and a soft one.

if im not mistaken a mushy pedal is not brake fade but crappy brake lines and old fluid
Quote from Wikipedia :Fade can also be caused by the brake fluid boiling, with attendant release of compressible gases. In this type of fade, the brake pedal feels "spongy".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fade
#9 - JTbo
Yes, it does not feel good at all when brakes go, also have had this where gas forms isolation between disc and pad, very annoying, you push and push but brakes don't grip. But most scary is when you push pedal and it meets a floor, damn curbs are high when coming them almost full speed.

But of course some proper brake pedal would be needed that supports fade effects, there is no such thing invented yet, there is hydraulic brake pedals but not with force feedback that would have fade support. This is something I really would like to see in near future as then it would be possible to create quite good virtual racing environment.
huh brakes dont fade unless they have been used a hell of a long time but are good enough to last races easily
that wouldn't work because then you'd have to make a controller that has force feedback or somthing in the pedals.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :huh brakes dont fade unless they have been used a hell of a long time but are good enough to last races easily

That depends on the track... If the brakes have to be used hard and often in a very short timespan (so they don't have time to cool off), they can fade in a couple of laps as well... If by races you mean those 5-lappers we have on public servers: Yes, without a doubt...
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :huh brakes dont fade unless they have been used a hell of a long time but are good enough to last races easily

Never wondered why you see touring car drivers touch the brakes gently a couple of times after a corner, particularly after a heaving braking zone? They're pumping the brakes to restore pressure in the system. Overheating, usually boiling brake fluid, is the cause, not wear.
#14 - JTbo
Quote from sinbad :Never wondered why you see touring car drivers touch the brakes gently a couple of times after a corner, particularly after a heaving braking zone? They're pumping the brakes to restore pressure in the system. Overheating, usually boiling brake fluid, is the cause, not wear.

There was more of this in racing videos thread I think, anyway it was not that reason which you described.

If someone seriously thinks that XFG or XRG would not experience brake fade, then he needs more track time IRL track. With bad brakes (really lot of older gti cars did have bad brakes by today's standards) you can push 100% no more than two laps and brakes are gone, naturally depending from track.
#15 - Jakg
Quote from Zachary Zoomy :that wouldn't work because then you'd have to make a controller that has force feedback or somthing in the pedals.

iirc Logitech were working on something like this
Quote from sinbad :Never wondered why you see touring car drivers touch the brakes gently a couple of times after a corner, particularly after a heaving braking zone? They're pumping the brakes to restore pressure in the system. Overheating, usually boiling brake fluid, is the cause, not wear.

Actually, that's not 100% correct. If you ever have to pump your brakes to restore pressure then your in trouble
The reason the touch the brakes to to settle the pads after hitting high curbs or knocking the car about. You can sometimes suffer from what is called "pad knockback". This is when the brake pads move and you touch the brake just to settle them again and get them back inline.
Quote from nikimere :Actually, that's not 100% correct. If you ever have to pump your brakes to restore pressure then your in trouble
The reason the touch the brakes to to settle the pads after hitting high curbs or knocking the car about. You can sometimes suffer from what is called "pad knockback". This is when the brake pads move and you touch the brake just to settle them again and get them back inline.

Ahh yeah, that's right. Still, the only brake fade that leads to a soft pedal is the fluid-fade variety.
i drive a 55 bhp 10 year old Punto and i overheated the brakes after dunno, 5 hairpins on a downhill. The pedal got stiff as hell and the brakes didn0t brake much. And yes, they were overheated, badly. 10 minutes later (driving nicely on straights), stopping and opening the door i was welcomed by the smell of welding
#19 - JTbo
Quote from sinbad :Ahh yeah, that's right. Still, the only brake fade that leads to a soft pedal is the fluid-fade variety.

No matter what reason is, if you manage to boil brake fluid pedal drops to floor, reason can be water in brake fluid, wrong brake fluid for such use, seriously overheating brakes etc.

I remember years back one Sport 2000 race at Ahvenisto circuit where two VW Golfs rammed to railing as brake did fail, that was because brake fade if I don't remember wrong. Cars were close to WTCC specs and brand new, maybe I'm wrong but I think it was first race of those cars.

Brake fading
(19 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG