The online racing simulator
Kubica Crash
(93 posts, started )
You forgot that the car changed it's course by hitting the first wall with its front wheel, so estimate the angle more to 50-60°...
Quote from bbman :You forgot that the car changed it's course by hitting the first wall with its front wheel, so estimate the angle more to 50-60°...

I'm sorry but i can't agree with that (I've got some experience on doing photographic restitutions). Just look at the video posted above and compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWZ7iKXfLXs

Anyway that's my point of view, not trying to change yours
No look at at again the car didn't just carry on on a straight course into the wall it clearly yawed into the wall after hitting the first wall, just watching this crash again it seems to get even bigger and nastier everytime and harder to believe he was uninjured, normally replays always seem smaller.
Yep, spotted it in the live broadcast replays and still would say the car hit the wall more squarely due to the impact of the wheel.
Aargh, noo, I won't make a manual 3d restitution!! (or whatever it is called in english) That would be by far more precise, but takes lots of time. Heheh, ok no problem, that was just my opinion since it's a bit hard to judge from what we have seen from videos
It's very hard to see it, it happens very fast and there are only a few frames which are really useful (most of it is obstructed by the dust and rubble)... I've attached two images of the video, using the best frames I could get out of it and marked the direction of the car by drawing a line from one right tire to the other:
Attached images
kubcrash1.jpg
kubcrash2.jpg
Thats pretty certain showing the angle much closer to the 60+ degree angle.

Anyway, Sauber says they recorded 28g with a peak of 40g+ instantaneous. Looks like the barrier braking helped, as the bad IRL wrecks record even more instantaneous g than that.
The TV camera angled shows it a lot better, it's clear, even at full speed that there is a large change in direction.
I see, thanks . But those lines are marking the orientation of the car. After the first hit the car should rotate a bit just as is seen in those images but I can't see why it should change the trajectory of the car, let's say, some degrees to the right. I can understand better if that would vary the trajectory some degrees to the left and that would mean a smaller frontality (?) in the hit. I think I'll stop here, It's as painful for me to try to express something in English as the hit was for Robert I must say: we (at least me) need some official data
Well, no... Only the tire hit the wall, so it kinda hooked in there, rotated the car even more to the right until the suspension broke, at which point the car was "released"...
#86 - J.B.
Quote from bbman :It's very hard to see it, it happens very fast and there are only a few frames which are really useful (most of it is obstructed by the dust and rubble)... I've attached two images of the video, using the best frames I could get out of it and marked the direction of the car by drawing a line from one right tire to the other:

Don't forget: since the car is in the air and not propelled in any way, the direction it's pointing does not have to be the same as the direction it's travelling.

EDIT: beaten by dav rc. BTW the official value is 30°. When I read it I thought it must be wrong but after looking at the analysis in this thread I think it's correct. That the peak G was only 40 also supports this. Kenny Brack survivied 193 G. Still a mighty hard hit though.
Here's interview with Robert on GPupdate:

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news ... after_his_terrible_crash/

In interview for the German paper Bild he was to say:
"There is polish saying - what doesnt kill you, will strengthen you. If I wanted to feel safe, I would stay at home, however I wouldnt be a race driver then."
#88 - J.B.
I think its a fair call, anyone will tell you that you don't take a risk with head injuries, even very minor ones. Indy has been known to produce some big crashes, better be safe than sorry.

We now have a chance to see what this new young guy is like, I have seen him race in lower ranks but he performed badly because of his F1 testing. So it would be good to see if he is indeed as good as BMW think.
It's a good decision to keep Kubicka out of the race, if he crashed again heavily it could have very serious repercussions. Hopefully he will be back for France!
It looks like Seb Vettel is doing well in practice, with BMWs beating Ferraris who would bet against points or maybe even a podium?
Hmmm, was going to watch those youtube video's, but Formula One Management have taken them away, god damn them

Kubica Crash
(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG