The online racing simulator
Kubica Crash
(93 posts, started )
I would hope so. While that barrier isn't exactly head on at the end of the strait there is definitely room to swing it it a bit more to get a bit of a better angle.

Horrible crash and I am very happy to see him walking after that crash. The slowmo doesn't give you the full impact of what happened there like that second video does.

I would like to see exactly how Trulli and Kubica contacted. You cannot get a good picture of where they are on the track nut it appears that Kubica ran out of track by Trulli for one reason or another, I assume things happen quickly at 160+ and Kubica went for his off road excursion.
I think the wall is definitely better than tyres&wall in that place, but the wall's angle could be reconsidered.

As for the cause - like Bawbag, I think it was a case of Kubica hitting Trulli's rear-right wheel during an overtake attempt, when Trulli just pulled out of the slipstream of the car in front him. So they both attempted a pass at the same place, Kubica only beginning the manouvre a bit earlier. It's a shame there are no videos that clearly show what exactly happened.

P.S. I read that Kubica has a sprain and concussion. I hope thay let him rest for the next GP, but Vettel doesn't win it
#54 - Dru
is there not live cameras in every car nowadays - meaning that the footage will eventually show everything ?
Quote from Dru :is there not live cameras in every car nowadays - meaning that the footage will eventually show everything ?

Don't think so. They all have the mounts for equal aerodynamics, but only select ones run the cameras. (This may have changed, but was this way several years ago)
They have cameras in all cars, but only 6 of them can be received at the same time.
They need to extend the wall, plain and simple. At the point where the STR sits, the wall turns away and instead of lining the track, lines the infield grandstand, which is pointless. It needs to swoop along into the corner so cars can rub it.

Think of the point where Kubica hit the wall, if the wall continued and connected with the next, he would have walked away.
he's one lucky boy...

Quote from Kostek :I'm wondering about one thing: why there were no tires along that wall? Did track authorities not assume, that someone might crash there? I thought you usually have to assume the worst.

Anyway, on this video you can see, that STR car was removed properly and BMW's wheel was torn off by a wall.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=BsXYsf5m4Ww

"This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Formula One Management"
Quote from Kostek :MU constantly says all the slots are busy and wants to install some s*** I dont want to :P

Don't use Internet Explorer :P
indeed horible crash but still the curent design of the formula1 car is just stunning. getting out of something like that with just a scratch is pretty much unbelieveble and here we are with the facts that it is believeble. stunning, just stunning.

indeed there should be a tier wall on the wall that he crashed into, at least on the innerside of the wall (and i'm pretty sure there will be one at the race)
This monocoque-thing is always called super tough, well it sure is, but why can we see his feet?

I can remember i saw driver´s feet before.. strange
Quote from Kostek :MU constantly says all the slots are busy and wants to install some s*** I dont want to :P

Instead of installing the toolbar you can just change your browser identification string to:

Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; FDM; MEGAUPLOAD 1.0)
Quote from Mr.Muh :This monocoque-thing is always called super tough, well it sure is, but why can we see his feet?

Thankfully the super stiff monocoque simply disintigrated when it hit the wall, absorbing a lot of the impact but leaving the strengthened survival cell areas pretty much undamaged. An older car made from a conventional aluminum monocoque or steel spaceframe would have crushed into the cockpit absorbing less energy and resulting in larger damage in the cockpit.
Doesn´t the nose absorb any impact and isn´t the monocoque supposed to stay togehter and keep its form? Or did i get this wrong?
Quote from Mr.Muh :Doesn´t the nose absorb any impact and isn´t the monocoque supposed to stay togehter and keep its form? Or did i get this wrong?

The point is the nose does absorb the impact, by shattering rather than just transferring the energy down the car. Normally the nose wouldn't deform that far but in that hard a hit it's probably for the best. If you look at the pictures of the monocoque it's virtually intact.
Quote from ajp71 :The point is the nose does absorb the impact, by shattering rather than just transferring the energy down the car. Normally the nose wouldn't deform that far but in that hard a hit it's probably for the best. If you look at the pictures of the monocoque it's virtually intact.

Spot on. It indeed did exactly as it should have. The impact was +/- head-on, so the nose cone collapsed as far as it could up until the driver's feet. (obviously a little too far as we could see them). The nose cone's explosion absorbed all the energy that would have been transfered to the driver. All of the extraneous wheels, side-pods, and bits flying off are more energy be transfered away from the car, not through the driver.

It will be really interesting to see the 'black-box' records of the deceleration, must have been stagering. I'm actually curious to see how his hans device kept his spine intact without shattering his collar-bone/ribs.

As I said earlier, if the nose of his car hadn't come down to absord the impact, the bottom of the car could have impacted the wall. There are no "crush-zones" on the bottom of the car, and all the energy of the wreck could have directly been transfered to Kubica's spine

Very lucky boy. Kudos to all involved in motorsports safety, it has come a long long way.
Quote from srdsprinter : if the nose of his car hadn't come down to absord the impact, the bottom of the car could have impacted the wall. There are no "crush-zones" on the bottom of the car, and all the energy of the wreck could have directly been transfered to Kubica's spine

Jeez, now that's a shivering thought... if that wall was closer, he would hit it with the bottom of the car or he would jump across it, and there were marshals right behind it.. woosh... really, really lucky boy!
#73 - DeKo
Haven't seen this picture a lot:
Attached images
kubica_coldfeet.jpg
Just to clarify a bit about the angle of crash I did this:

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/5602/canadacd6.jpg

I know there are inaccuracies but that's roughly 24º. Even considering actual walls doesn't match 100% those on the photograph the angle wouldn't go much higher than 30º. So my point of view is that the circuit safety is not as bad as it seems and the car safety is again not as good as is seems (ok ok he got out unhurt ). That's all I can tell with my english

Kubica Crash
(93 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG