The online racing simulator
#1 - arco
Engine cut->unsteerable car during braking
Okay, this is really driving me nuts. First off, I'm driving using a mouse. Lately I've been driving on the bug test server set for BL1/TBO, and have been using the FXO. Every time I approaches T1, I get off the throttle, brakes and shift down through 4th 3rd and 2nd gear. Now, when getting to 3rd and 2nd gear I get an effect best described as engine cut, and the car gets completely unsteerable. I have to panicly press the mouse button to apply throttle in order for the car to be steerable again. Often leading to a really crappy line through the corner. Of course, this affects lap times negatively.

Is this something that only happens for mouse users, or does wheel users experience the same thing?
It may or maynot be understeer, caused by your braking or down shift timing into or before the corner locking the wheels...but im not too good on front wheel drive cars :\
Sounds to me like you're locking your wheels under braking, not all and not fully, but a lock non the less. I have experienced this 'engine cut' you speak of and this was the cause.

Edit: I use a wheel.
Use less brake force, pause more while downshifting, more rearward bias or blip the throttle more. That's pretty much all you can do to prevent it.
I guess that happens when you lock up one wheel. When one is locked, the engine/diff wants to make the other rotate twice as fast, which obviously doesn't work as it still has grip. So instead of the wheel rotating twice as fast, the engine gets bogged down to half the amount of rpm instead. At least that's how I imagine it to work...
Quote from mikey_G :Use less brake force, pause more while downshifting, more rearward bias or blip the throttle more. That's pretty much all you can do to prevent it.

Its very hard to do that when you dont have a wheel, and with mouse, the brakes are always full on when you brake .

I use a gamepad and the same happens
Well, I gave 4 areas on which you can improve on to prevent it from happening. If you can't do 1, do the other 3.
#8 - Dru
Quote from niall09 :Its very hard to do that when you dont have a wheel, and with mouse, the brakes are always full on when you brake .

I use a gamepad and the same happens

reduce the brake force for the car - not the power of your finger

like Mike says, systematically work through them to overcome the problem

Alternatively wait for a fellow mouse player to be able to assist you in this matter if it is down to the 'mouse' aspect and setup tweaks that can be done to overcome this
toe heel and dont hit the brakes so hard.
But since you are running with the mouse, and that is on or off, just accell before switching each gear down and drop brake force % a bit
#10 - arco
Lowering the brake strength helps a bit. Only problem is I then have to brake earlier, so those coming up behind me is in for a little surprise.
so the engine rpm drops to 0 while downshifting ?

in that case increase preload
#12 - arco
Drops to 1000 rpm and it's with locked diff. Using Flotch set from Inferno.
ah wait...since u say recently how about this solution, Maybe you acceldly turned something off that helps with your braking such as the brake help under ESC>Player>brake help ON/off ?
#14 - arco
Quote from Ricerguy :ah wait...since u say recently how about this solution, Maybe you acceldly turned something off that helps with your braking such as the brake help under ESC>Player>brake help ON/off ?

Brake help on will surely help with the cut problem. But real men doesn't use brake help. Well, I'll admit I do in certain situations if I find it's better . I however lowered the brake strength a tad so the cut effect isn't so dominant.
I had this problem too, with the RB4. But not with the XRT! I think the factor is the physical layout of the track; you go down hill, then slightly uphill, and the forces compressing the front suspension meddle with the brakes.

I did three tests with each TBO car. Only the RB4 locked up the brakes, and its bias is 80%, FXO 77%, and XRT 75%.
Attached files
test1.spr - 21.5 KB - 237 views
test2.spr - 19.4 KB - 253 views
test3.spr - 20.6 KB - 226 views
#16 - arco
Quote from jayhawk :I had this problem too, with the RB4. But not with the XRT! I think the factor is the physical layout of the track; you go down hill, then slightly uphill, and the forces compressing the front suspension meddle with the brakes.

Now that you mention it, it does seem to happen more in some places than others.
I think that the problem don't come from your setup or whatelse but because you're using a mouse (as i do). We (mouse drivers) can't modify the brake strength during the braking as wheel's owners does. It's all or nothing and as you all know it's not a way to brake. Reducing the brake strength or balance in your setting can help but here is another idea.

When you come to the braking zone, just hit the brake and don't try to turn. When you reach the top speed limit of the corner, just let the brake off but don't turn yet, just let the car goes. Wait a short moment to stabilize the car then aim for the apex. When you've reached the apex, then accelerate.

I know it's seems stupid and you all know how to do. But the thing i'd like to highlight is not the braking but the dead time between the end of braking and the acceleration. During this short moment, the car will stabilize, the suspension wich were pumped by the braking will release and give you more efficiency. Only wheel's owners can brake until the apex.

This is how i do and it's working pretty well with the tbo's but also with the other cars. I think it's a way to do when you have a mouse. Now try it and see if it's better for you.
#18 - arco
I forgot to mention in the beginning that it happens mostly when using the clutch pack, and not with locked diff. Anyway, I've since got a wheel, and although it can still happen a little, it's easier to avoid it now.
Ever heard of left foot brake technique?
What you should do is yeah, as the name says, brake using left foot, not right. Accelerating and braking at the same time would be easier now that you got wheel right? Or what you could also do is lower the brake force and reduce the balance from the front.
Hope I helped. Good luck.
-
lol nesten likt nick (aroX123) DELETED by Bob Smith : smiley spam

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG