The online racing simulator
Stupid DVD/RW
(12 posts, started )
Stupid DVD/RW
OK I've got a LG GSA-H30N drive here, reads DVDs, doesn't read CDs.

Firmware version 1.01, found an update to 1.02 but the readme states "This firmware update is for drives with original firmware versions below 1.01" (my emphasis). The drive is only a couple of weeks old.

It certainly did read at least one CD, the weekend I installed the drive (I copied across some backed-up files using it) but now it doesn't. It won't even read that particular CD that I know it has read in the past.

Should I just assume this thing is hosed and return it? I'd prefer to get it behaving if I can, rather than go through all the hassle of an RMA.
#2 - mr_x
I have the GSA-H22L which reads CDs fine - it's just read 100+ music CDs to rip them onto my computer no problem anyway.

So I can only assume that it's a faulty drive.
I think you're right. Updated the firmware anyway, it worked, but it still doesn't read CDs.

Have to return the stupid thing, then. I suppose I'll have to buy a replacement too, or have a rather useless optical drive-shaped hole in the front of my box for a couple of weeks.

Hmph!
BTW how old are the CDs you are trying to read?
Varying ages, the most recent a couple of weeks old, the oldest a few years old. Audio CDs, data CDs, CDs I've burned myself - none of them work.
#6 - Bean0
Seems broken one unfortunately.
My DVD-RW drive lasted 2 and a 1/2 years burning and reading no probs, one day it just refused to work. Tried updating, reinstall, wasnt having any of it. So I got a new one.

Your better off returning it and getting a new one IMO
Quote from Bean0 :Found this, might help...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

It just never spins up for a CD, blinks for about 30 seconds then gives up, no error message, just an empty volume.

Quote from Bean0 : Edit:

I suppose you could tell if it was a windows issue by trying a bootable CD. Got a Linux distro or XP disc handy ?

That's not a bad idea, I'll give it a go. I did install Windows and other associated CD-borne gubbins using this drive, and I did wonder if something that flew in with Windows Update might've knocked it out.

Edit: Nah, it booted from HDD. Oh well, was worth a go!
In my experience those get broken quite easily. It sounds very much like my 2 drives.

I have two DVD drives currently. One has stopped reading CDs and the other one DVDs. If I put a wrong kind of a disc into a wrong drive it just makes sssrrrr sounds and freezes.
I know it sound stupid but did you try to put that drive on different SATA port?
Yeah I did try that - same thing.

Still haven't got around to returning it, because I haven't got around to buying another drive as a stand-in while I return this one!

Stupid DVD/RW
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG