The online racing simulator
Ability to turn off repair in pits
Had a league race last night...
Worked my way from 12th - 5th place... was stoked... Pulled in for my pit and it set about repairing all the little dings and the small amount of suspension damage...
40 secs later i was released in 11th place...

Surely the devs could easily implement this please... In the F12 window you decide whether you actually want that stuff fixed...

I was in an FXR... on AS7... Im pretty sure i could have continued my pace and race with the small amount of damage i had received from launching this bad boy thru the dipper...

Please Devs... Lets implement this small thing...
This is a good idea, and heres another thing to contribute.

If you have played GT4, you will notice in pit, while rolling to your specific box, you have the option to choose if you want new tires or not, and if you want to refuel or not. You also are able to change the tires on front are rear in mid race. Also, during the middle of refueling, you dont HAVE to let it go full tank, and you can simply tell it to stop fueling whenever you want.

It would be a good idea if they had somthing similar to this in LFS.
Until car damage effects the speed of the car I don't want this - the long pitstop is the ONLY penalty you get for nudging people, and tapping walls, every one of which could have ended your race with better damage.

Next time just drive more carefully. Otherwise you'll find yourself retiring from a lot of races because of damage.
#4 - wark
I agree with Tristan--eventually, naturally.

Nevertheless, not a bad suggestion.
mate when you are getting suspension damage for running on two wheels thru the dipper in a tin top i just want to accept it and the choice to repair be mine...

and especially in the GTR cars, the odd nudge, bump and grind should be expected... speshly in a one make series...

I dont want to sit in the pits for 40 secs on a 40lap one stop race... its half a bloody lap...
+1, some of us can handle our cars having the odd dent, if it meant shorter stops.
Quote from VTiRoj :+1, some of us can handle our cars having the odd dent, if it meant shorter stops.

It's always there so you have to pay for that little dent you made.

Tristan has already said when this would be the best time to implement, and surely is on Scawen's log after better damage.
I can too. But I'm saying that the long pitstop is the ONLY incentive not to hit people/walls (other than suspension damage, which goes without saying).

In my opinion, as SOON as bodywork damage effects the dynamics of the vehicles then we should be able to accept body damage and not have it forcibly fixed. Until then you'll have to drive thinking 'if I touch him I might lose time in a pitstop' rather than 'if I touch him I might damage my wing/splitter/radiator/intercooler etc'
I raced with Sin last night when this all happened and he was not the only one effected by it. The dipper at Aston North doesn't help as most fast setups will not stop damage from happening in that part of the circuit no matter how careful you drive. Saying that I am in two minds about this issue/suggestion, maybe an in-between solution would be that you can only switch off minor damage repairs and all major repairs & susp damage has to be fixed regardless, I know it probably wouldn't effect your overall pit stop time by a great deal but this is a simulator and last I checked real life pit crews don't fix minor dings in pit stops :P

Also the ability to only change single tyres or two (F/R or L/R) should be available, this would allow for a lot more tyre strategy and in-turn some control of overall pit stop time. Also can someone tell me why it takes so damn long for 2 tyres to change, most race series around the world can do it in under 10sec these days, LFS seems to take that long just for 2 tyres.

I would also like to see a feature to enable the stopping of the refuel when you want, I find that at times you just don't get a chance (or forget) to set it before you actually stop and then you locked in the pit bay until that amount of fuel is loaded. Refuel always occurs as the last thing in a pit stop so doesn't effect the other repairs and changes required & the time for them to be completed.
Quote from flinty72 :

Also the ability to only change single tyres or two (F/R or L/R) should be available, this would allow for a lot more tyre strategy and in-turn some control of overall pit stop time. Also can someone tell me why it takes so damn long for 2 tyres to change, most race series around the world can do it in under 10sec these days, LFS seems to take that long just for 2 tyres.

was just gonna mention that.

Also one bloke last night chose to change his tyre psi when he stopped, took 30 seconds or so to change the settings, surely the pit crew would have already adjusted the tyres BEFORE the car got to the pit?
#11 - Woz
Quote from tristancliffe :I can too. But I'm saying that the long pitstop is the ONLY incentive not to hit people/walls (other than suspension damage, which goes without saying).

In my opinion, as SOON as bodywork damage effects the dynamics of the vehicles then we should be able to accept body damage and not have it forcibly fixed. Until then you'll have to drive thinking 'if I touch him I might lose time in a pitstop' rather than 'if I touch him I might damage my wing/splitter/radiator/intercooler etc'

I agree with this. When body damage will rub tyres and pop them or limit steering lock or impacts to the front damage the engine/cooling etc then let drivers decide if you want damage fixed or not.

Until then being forced to wait for a repair is a good penalty for damage and means there is a real penalty associated with a crash.
Quote from tristancliffe :I can too. But I'm saying that the long pitstop is the ONLY incentive not to hit people/walls (other than suspension damage, which goes without saying).

Agreed, would like to see it, but only if there is the penalty of slowing down for body damage... (I said something like this before somewhere ... hmm)
#13 - Woz
Quote from flinty72 :I raced with Sin last night when this all happened and he was not the only one effected by it. The dipper at Aston North doesn't help as most fast setups will not stop damage from happening in that part of the circuit no matter how careful you drive.

Then the "fast" setups everyone is using are not a good for that track. I assume they are based on the inferno sets which have been created with hotlaps in mind, not races. Adding a little more travel in the suspension will not effect speed that much and will also stop the damage.

A real team would never run a setup that would result in loads of damage to the car, they would look for solutions that solved or limited the damage taken so they could be sure the car would complete the race and hence they get points.

While racing is about going as fast as you can it is also about actually completing the race. So what if your set is 1 second slower per lap on a long race. If the faster set means 20+ extra seconds in the pits because of the damage it inflicts on your car and you are in a 10 lap race your "slower set" is actually the "faster setup" overall.

Too many people in LFS have a single minded focus on lap times and forget about the bigger picture, the race.
I think some of you are missing the point of my post...
Firstly, im not asking you people who posted here, im asking the developers.
Secondly as most people here you assume to know all about my situation or what made me post here and set to adjust my thoughts on this topic.

We dont delibrately set out to cause damage... In the league we are racing in such action would see you lose your points...

That said, we are racing a single make, tintops series... All cars are equal... Therefore we are going to see some bumping, nudging and a few slaps here and there. And all who race in this league are aware of it, all have been involved with it... Its probably the closest thing we have in LFS to reflect out local racing that being v8supercars.
Surely you Woz, obviously being so worldly, would be aware of the v8supercar series... lol...

There are a few of us who regularly try and cut a minimum amount of laps per week to get the setups for the team ready to suit the track and race distance.
We are aware of not making cars that get damage and make the distance. But the dipper in Aston is a classic example. If you want to stay with the fastest guys, you need to aggressively run the line thru that part of the track that sees you pushing the limits of your setup. for 40 laps...

Most people had some form of wear and tear on the suspension after that.

Getting penalised for close hard racing or running the fastest line on the track is not very cool in my opinion.
Getting penalised for major contact wit another racer, or sending you car airborne after a major whoopsy i can understand.

I'd love to find someone who will run a setup that is obviously slower per lap just to avoid a little wear and tear on the race car in order to make their pit stop quicker...
Im pretty sure said driver would be pushing shopping trolleys and the seat would be taken by someone who would be willing to push the car to its limit. As race cars are meant to be raced.

The option to repair should reflect the racers position as the driver of the car.
If i want to continue on without fixing the small touches of suspension damage i should have that option.
If i have caused major damage to one sides suspension or pushed the front bar back right up against the motor, then yes... take the hit on the chin and do the time in the pits...
Great post Sin exactly what i wanted to say, only i couldn't find the words haha.

+1
Tristan's right (and that's not easy to say ).
Quote from RiginalSin :I think some of you are missing the point of my post...
Secondly as most people here you assume to know all about my situation or what made me post here and set to adjust my thoughts on this topic.

Firstly, posting here is always inviting debate. That's what the forums are for, they're not a direct line to Scawen, though he will post here from time to time and does read most (if not all of what's said). You can't get indignant when people respond to your thread in a way you don't like--part of the game.

Secondly, if we're misunderstanding you it's because you haven't properly spelled out your situation. Work on that next time.

Quote :We dont delibrately set out to cause damage... In the league we are racing in such action would see you lose your points...we are going to see some bumping, nudging and a few slaps here and there. And all who race in this league are aware of it, all have been involved with it...

No one (except the odd wrecker) does attempt to cause damage. The point that Tristan and others are making in this thread is that because the damage model in LFS is incomplete (and far too forgiving), the mandatory damage repair acts as something of an equalizer.

For instance, in a real racing series slamming the wall coming out of the KY3R oval chicane would probably be a race ender, or at least a lengthy repair job. In LFS you can slam the wall, catch serious air, damage your shocks coming back down to earth, and STILL drive around the (very long) track at a decent clip and get all the damage repaired in 30-40 seconds. Very realistic? No. Until the damage model is properly sorted out, the current mandatory repair scheme works to counteract this. One of the issues inherent in playing an unfinished game, I guess.

Quote :We are aware of not making cars that get damage and make the distance. But the dipper in Aston is a classic example. If you want to stay with the fastest guys, you need to aggressively run the line thru that part of the track that sees you pushing the limits of your setup. for 40 laps... Most people had some form of wear and tear on the suspension after that.

Getting penalised for close hard racing or running the fastest line on the track is not very cool in my opinion.

Essentially, if you want to run the kind of setups that you know will take damage, you can't complain about getting that damage. And, assuming the damage is really from the setups, the fast guys in front of you should have similar repair times, right?

Quote :I'd love to find someone who will run a setup that is obviously slower per lap just to avoid a little wear and tear on the race car in order to make their pit stop quicker...
Im pretty sure said driver would be pushing shopping trolleys and the seat would be taken by someone who would be willing to push the car to its limit. As race cars are meant to be raced.

This is called strategy and it happens quite often, both in real racing and in LFS. If you want to hotlap all race and destroy your car, that's your prerogative.

No one's arguing that there shouldn't be an option to ignore damage at pitstops, just that that option shouldn't be available until the damage model is improved.
Quote from ajp71 :Tristan's right (and that's not easy to say ).

Swallow your pride, boy!

Quote from RiginalSin :I think some of you are missing the point of my post...

Email them then, not post on a community forum.

Quote from RiginalSin :

Well, it's come up before, and my opinion is the same as it always was on this matter.

Quote from RiginalSin :We dont delibrately set out to cause damage... In the league we are racing in such action would see you lose your points...

That said, we are racing a single make, tintops series... All cars are equal... Therefore we are going to see some bumping, nudging and a few slaps here and there. And all who race in this league are aware of it, all have been involved with it... Its probably the closest thing we have in LFS to reflect out local racing that being v8supercars.

Great. And the bumping carries a risk of a long pit-stop. It's not much different to having the risk of a punctured radiator.
Quote from RiginalSin : There are a few of us who regularly try and cut a minimum amount of laps per week to get the setups for the team ready to suit the track and race distance.

Been there, done that.

Quote from RiginalSin :We are aware of not making cars that get damage and make the distance. But the dipper in Aston is a classic example. If you want to stay with the fastest guys, you need to aggressively run the line thru that part of the track that sees you pushing the limits of your setup. for 40 laps...

Maybe it would be faster OVERALL to run a 'safe' setup and have a slower fastest lap, but avoid the long pitstop. If you're running fast setups that cause damage, then so are they, so everyone has long pitstops. Therefore it's fair for everyone.

Quote from RiginalSin :Most people had some form of wear and tear on the suspension after that.

And the winner was probably the one who minimised that. That could be you!

Quote from RiginalSin :Getting penalised for close hard racing or running the fastest line on the track is not very cool in my opinion.

How about we have more car failures, so that the same setup, instead of causing a long pitstop, causes your wheel to fall off on lap 7. Much better. Close hard racing, and running the fastest lines will always carry a risk. At the moment that risk is pitstop based, and in the future it will be instant retirement based - you might not even get to the pitstop to choose not to fix the damage.

Quote from RiginalSin :
Getting penalised for major contact wit another racer, or sending you car airborne after a major whoopsy i can understand.

Any you get more penalty for that now - suspension damage!

Quote from RiginalSin :I'd love to find someone who will run a setup that is obviously slower per lap just to avoid a little wear and tear on the race car in order to make their pit stop quicker...

I know people that do that. Racing isn't about fastest laps, but shortest elapsed time from start to finish. 0.3 seconds per lap, over a 40 lap race, yet saving 30 seconds in a pitstop is 8 seconds per race faster than being on the pace and having a 30 second pitstop.

Quote from RiginalSin : Im pretty sure said driver would be pushing shopping trolleys and the seat would be taken by someone who would be willing to push the car to its limit. As race cars are meant to be raced.

Drivers are sometimes called car-breakers. They are the ones who DON'T win races and championships. The winners are those that are quite fast (sometimes VERY fast) and don't break the car!

Quote from RiginalSin :The option to repair should reflect the racers position as the driver of the car.
If i want to continue on without fixing the small touches of suspension damage i should have that option.
If i have caused major damage to one sides suspension or pushed the front bar back right up against the motor, then yes... take the hit on the chin and do the time in the pits...

So where would the penalty/risk be? You could tap people, nudge them, and get away with it. I don't think you've even considered my/our opinions on the matter.

Besides, it's something that will undoubtedly get improved in the future, and your whining won't make that happen any quicker. It will come when it comes.
Quote from tristancliffe :Until car damage effects the speed of the car I don't want this - the long pitstop is the ONLY penalty you get for nudging people, and tapping walls, every one of which could have ended your race with better damage.

Next time just drive more carefully. Otherwise you'll find yourself retiring from a lot of races because of damage.

I don't agree, unless we will have decent repair times.
Atm we have 3 seconds for little damages and 3 seconds for bigger damages.
If i have 0,001% of damage caused by some curb, i dont want to spend the same time into pits then one that has crashed against a wall and damaged the entire car.

And however, if i have some damage to a suspension or a wing, like in real life i should be able to choose to not fix it, to try to fix it, or if it is too damaged, to retire because car is undrivable.

Atm there isn't any choose. You simply go to pits and get all the damage fixed in the exact same amount of time.

That's really unrealistic
+1

sometimes we can't avoid a contact with a wall or other player

even if there is no serious damage we lose a precious time repairing it
Quote from flinty72 :

I vote for that too. It is quite disapointing to have to guess the % of wear to be set in order to change just the tyres you want. I often want to change only front tyres, never got it, if I set low % they dont change any, if I set high % to be sure, they change me the full 4 tyres set.
It makes me get angry
Quote from Sergio Macias :I vote for that too. It is quite disapointing to have to guess the % of wear to be set in order to change just the tyres you want. I often want to change only front tyres, never got it, if I set low % they dont change any, if I set high % to be sure, they change me the full 4 tyres set.
It makes me get angry

Yes this tyre thing is very important imo.

+2 lol
I don't think extended pit stops is a good penalty for damaging your car. That's like a half-baked idea from an arcade game and makes a mockery of both the pit-stop system and indeed the damage model really. It would be like having tyres that punctured whenever you ran across the gravel trap, rather than a gravel trap that actually stopped the car and was hard to escape from.

The current system means that in all but the longest races (where a full tank of fuel is not enough and so you have to stop later than lap 2), starting with the fuel for the full race distance and pitting as early as possible to minimise the risk of having to repair damage is the obvious and pretty much only tactic.
not if your driving the fxr.

That thing eats tyres for breakfast lunch and tea!

(ha thats prolly gonna bring a lot of comments on about my driving style now isnt it...)
Quote from Mr.Ferret :not if your driving the fxr.

That thing eats tyres for breakfast lunch and tea!

(ha thats prolly gonna bring a lot of comments on about my driving style now isnt it...)

Sorry, should have put *or where tyre wear is an issue.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG