The online racing simulator
IS_NLP (NodeLap) change - any objections?
As there have been quite a lot of requests for more info in the NodeLap packet, and to change the confusing combined node and lap bytes, I've decided that I'd like to make a small change to the NodeLap structure to make it easier to use and more useful, while still keeping it in a single InSim packet.

So the idea is to increase the 4-byte NodeLap structure to 6 bytes and include the same info as the first 6 bytes of the CompCar structure.

word Node
word Lap
byte PLID
byte Position

The IS_NLP packet increases to 196 bytes in size. Would anyone object to this?

I could in fact take one more step and make it variable sized packet, so the Size byte changes according to how many NodeLap structures are sent in the IS_NLP. That would save bandwidth when less racers are online, so that seems a good idea too.

I think code changes will be minimal - or would there be any problems with doing this?
+1, I was using MCI because NLP didnt have this byte.
No.
I am definately for this change as MCI produces a lot of overhead if you just want positions and don't need the rest
sounds good.

Are you going to change CompCar's UniqueId to PLID as well? (just the name of the field)
Suits me perfectly
Nice....now i use NLP
+1, then it's a good alternative to IS_MCI
Quote from Scawen :I could in fact take one more step and make it variable sized packet, ...

Should't the IS_MCI packet then also be variable? I think IS_NLP and IS_MCI should be handled in the same way because they stand in near relation.
Quote from Scawen :..... I could in fact take one more step and make it variable sized packet,

No problems with that. But in MCI-Pack this would be very nice too.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG