The online racing simulator
FE2 Cutting
(92 posts, started )
#76 - Tomi
Quote from STROBE :Maybe I'm being a bit naive on this, but when I join a public server running (in this case) FE2, I basically expect it to be the FE2 I know. By all means use objects to prohibit corner cutting, but I'm just not keen on the idea of using them to radically transform a corner or chicane.

CTRA admins do what they want in their servers. period.

If you want to race the FE2 track without those additions, just join another server. It is as simple as that

By the way, adding a few tires to sligthly modify a track, or adding a chicane doesn't make it an autocross/slalom track. There are plenty of examples of real tracks where chicane are added regularly with tires to cope with safety issues, for example when the cars are too fast in a particular area and because safety requirements have been raised since the build of the track.
Quote from SamH :Well, two things here.. firstly, Becky is entirely right. The track is the track. It's up to you to negotiate it. The tyres/barriers were there first and didn't move. As a racing driver, you have to meet the challenge, just as everyone else on track with you must.

Agreed, I wasn't trying to claim that I had any disadvantage compared to anyone else. Like I said, I'm just not that keen on going beyond the principle of blocking cutting by changing corners. To me, the track is the black bit with green on each side as Eric intended, and anything put on it is an obstruction that shouldn't be there.

Quote from SamH :Secondly, the purpose of this particular chicane layout (FE2) is to resolve a problem with the structure of the default track. You cannot negotiate that chicane reliably. It is a hazard. The layout we've added to that chicane makes the chicane more predictable. You have to slow down, but so does everyone else, and you have to be more careful, but so does everyone else. All in all, it's better with the layout. The layout stays

Well yes, it turns it into a more thorough chicane. Maybe the way it should have been. Still doesn't mean I'm keen on the idea, because that's not the line the tarmac takes - or maybe I just feel like being awkward today.

Quote from Tomi :CTRA admins do what they want in their servers. period.

Never said they couldn't or expected otherwise. No harm in discussing the pros and cons of their decisions though. A "go somewhere else if you don't like it" attitude is particularly counter-productive imho.
#78 - Tomi
Quote from STROBE :Never said they couldn't or expected otherwise. No harm in discussing the pros and cons of their decisions though. A "go somewhere else if you don't like it" attitude is particularly counter-productive imho.

It's not about discussing the pros and cons, or being counter-productive. But you just shouldn't "expect it to be the FE2 I know" when joining a random public server. There is no LFSetiquette which says that tracks shouldn't be altered in any way.
Quote :A "go somewhere else if you don't like it" attitude is particularly counter-productive imho.

I do hope we've never given that impression. We do try to accomodate our players and have made a significant number of concessions since we started up.

In this case, it's simply that the particular chicane in question is unpredictable and ruins races. A watched a league race last night where a guy I view as one of LFS' finest came unstuck at that chicane and by pure chance his championship attempt is under threat now.

The corner isn't safe, should this be a real track it would surely be modified. LFS doesn't give us the tools to physically alter the track and send in the bulldozers, but we can do what we've done ... Which is to reposition the apex of the chicane entry by placing a few hay bales down. Anyone remember Woodcote at Silverstone in Formula One? Or Hockenheim..?

Chicane alterations are a part of any race tracks life. In the case of FE2 we've modified the chicane to remove a safety issue, and I personally believe that we get better racing from it at a result.

I'm not the only one either, because this chicane has been discussed before - more than once - and we've already reached a popular concenssus on it.

I do appreciate that in the migration from STCC to CTRA that the layout got messed up for a while, and I appologise for that.
#80 - Jakg
Quote from Becky Rose :In this case, it's simply that the particular chicane in question is unpredictable and ruins races. A watched a league race last night where a guy I view as one of LFS' finest came unstuck at that chicane and by pure chance his championship attempt is under threat now.

i do hope you mean me Becky :P

It's a bastard of a corner, all about smashing on the kerbs, imo i often enter with a little drift and use the throttle (was driving the FXO) to pull the nose round on the tarmac, but if it did my tail could clip the tyres. It's better with something to slow you down or to absorb the impact (ie a bale infront of the tyres)
Is it just me, or do bails seem to be more like bricks in LFS?
Hit anything at 120mph and tell me it was a soft target...
#83 - Dru
edited
-
(AndroidXP) DELETED by AndroidXP
#84 - Dru
edited
I'm sorry. I've modified my quote to be more sympathetic to your plight. Sorry to have caused offense.
-
(AndroidXP) DELETED by AndroidXP
#86 - Dru
Quote from Becky Rose :I'm sorry. I've modified my quote to be more sympathetic to your plight. Sorry to have caused offense.

edited post, no reference.
#87 - col
Quote from word. :Is it just me, or do bails seem to be more like bricks in LFS?

Bails are f*****g big, f*****g heavy and f*****g hard !
you know they even build houses with them these days - just like bricks
while I agree that the fe green chicane is difficult to get right every lap, it is nowhere unpredictable, nor is the track. if you get thrown off a lot, you either hit the tyres, or you got a bad setup. my xrt behaved just fine over the curbs there at around and above 150 kph.

I am glad the stcc race did not have the layout, but for public racing it is a good idea. however the only thing I would have changed (this is based on the layout which almost made it to the stcc race, i don't know what layout is currently used on ctra servers) is narrowing the entry to have speeds around 120. putting extra tyres at the exit (as shown in one of the earlier posts) is no good. you have the extra run-off area, why can't you use it then? I would have liked an answer from Becky and the DRB on this topic back then, but I never got it.
That's more an internal STCC issue, the league layout was proposed and thrown out, it's very different to the public layout which does indeed only effect the entry to the chicane, i'm not sure of the speed but it is greatly reduced.
Anyone mind posting a screenshot of the current chicane? It's no biggie if no one has one, but I figure it might be a good idea just so people reading the forums can see what's currently in place, since we have pictures of everything that was in place before this.

Thanks in advance if someone posts these
Ok, sorry for sounding a bit of an arse in my ealier post, but when I went to the track it must have been the bad layout, as it really was awful.I can see it has changed now and is better But also I haven't had the physics issues mentioned meself on original track so that's why I didn't understand, again sorry
i´ve raced the new layout this night and i must say it makes the track
safer then it was before.... and people start using their heads before
they try to overtake you there...

the only thing what was a bit annoying for me was, when sparky dave
pulverized my new track record by almost half a second

overall i like the layout, it makes sense, it should stay there....

FE2 Cutting
(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG