The online racing simulator
FE2 Cutting
(92 posts, started )
#1 - Jakg
how on earth is driving on grass there faster?

EDIT - You even need to drive on the gravel
#2 - Jakg
yes, but surely the grass and gravel gives more drag?
I have seen this too while racing with the UF1. The thing is, the person doesn't have to brake as much when they take the cut so they are actually going faster on the grass than you are on the track, then they get a better line for the next corner, up the hill, which leads to a longish straight, where they will, as a result of the cut, get to a higher speed.
#4 - SamH
I have "cut" that area myself before, but it was due to missing the braking point of the first corner there. And, I slow down, watch for traffic the best I can and reenter the track when that happens rather than blasting through using it to my advantage.

Isn't there tire barriers there already?
That's what everyone says when you say it to them about cutting, "oh I missed my breaking point". I have missed my breaking point there many times but still managed to hold it and drive on the track side of the tires.

BTW, the line LFSn00b shows isn't exactly the line taken when people cut that corner. See attachment. And there are small groups of tires, but no barriers, with enough space to get through without hitting them.
Attached images
Cut1.JPG
Thats not cuting, thats losing time..:ices_rofl
I've gone off there myself before now, it's an easy corner to get wrong and go wide on. The problem with putting obscructions there is that cars which do go wide would strike them.

There are other factors too, such as the overhead caused by so many physics objects.

As things stand the Fe Green layout is actually about to get some attention on it, as i'm going to set the layout for the STCC event there. During the build up the servers will run the STCC league race layout.

Afterwards this issue can be raised again.

Deliberate cutting is something we act on when we receive reports of it.

Well, you went a bit (a lot) over the top with the amount of obstacles put there
A few tyres would be enough, I mean, you don't have to make going there impossible, it should just be slower when doing so. Tyres or haybales are also much safer then these red-white barriers of doom, which would send a racer who honestly missed the brake point on a quick trip over the fence.
#10 - SamH
Quote from AndroidXP :Tyres or haybales are also much safer then these red-white barriers of doom

+1, barriers are dangerous for other drivers too
#12 - SamH
I've added bales and tyres. Nothing excessive.. just enough to make that particular cut, shall we say, "less appealing"
While practicing for the next race I also gone wide sometimes there, but It didn't really give me an advantage. I always had trouble when rejoining the tarmac, I've got nasty understeering and had to slow down (at the end the time gaining of the grass section and the time loss on tarmac added up).
#14 - SamH
Quote from LRB_Aly :While practicing for the next race I also gone wide sometimes there, but It didn't really give me an advantage. I always had trouble when rejoining the tarmac, I've got nasty understeering and had to slow down (at the end the time gaining of the grass section and the time loss on tarmac added up).

Yep. If you actually deliberately take that line, rather than find yourself running it accidentally, you can easily gain track space in the process. When you do it by accident, you've probably lost some pace in the process of finding your way there, and so the overall experience is a poor one.

It's quite easy to line yourself up to cut there, and gain from it. It's a straight line. Well, it WAS.. now it's not

I don't think the bales and tyres will be necessary for the STCC event, since the stewarding will most certainly fry and serve up any driver who cuts at that point. They 1) would get caught, and 2) wouldn't consider attempting it in the first place anyway. I've put the bales there, now, for public racing, where one or two drivers out there are less.. honourable.
Quote from SamH :Yep. If you actually deliberately take that line, rather than find yourself running it accidentally, you can easily gain track space in the process. When you do it by accident, you've probably lost some pace in the process of finding your way there, and so the overall experience is a poor one.

It's quite easy to line yourself up to cut there, and gain from it. It's a straight line. Well, it WAS.. now it's not

I don't think the bales and tyres will be necessary for the STCC event, since the stewarding will most certainly fry and serve up any driver who cuts at that point. They 1) would get caught, and 2) wouldn't consider attempting it in the first place anyway. I've put the bales there, now, for public racing, where one or two drivers out there are less.. honourable.

Actually I sometimes was cutting through intentionally and still didn't gain time. Don't get me wrong I've cut through to avoid the stupid AI, not to gain an advantage.
its really bumpy in there with the UF1 and XFG. its not really worth the cutting. perhaps on the reverse track but I've never gained time.
Quote from LFSn00b :By driving faster to the curve - more speed - cut - and to the tarmac - then to the curve.

hey m8, remember the WR is turned without a single cut or tire smash or anything, if you can beat the WR by cutting there, i want the replay wont happen
#18 - Dru
Quote from IceMan31x :hey m8, remember the WR is turned without a single cut or tire smash or anything, if you can beat the WR by cutting there, i want the replay wont happen

if you 'missed your braking point - you go for a slow trip trough that section and you therefore ARE slower, if however you don't brake back at the 75m marker you carry way more speed in there and you do exit MUCH quicker that taking a non-cutting line.

several people do 'ocassionally' take that line when i was on the STCC with UF1 but not - flat out DELIBERATE cutting
In the mini chicane on FE Club before the last turn there is allso some HEAVY cutting.

Things like that is irritating me, because it means I have to do it to to be able to keep up, because if I don't do it the guy in my ass wil be all over me if I drive the correct line. And then, if I do it, someone else will do it and so on.
BAH
#20 - SamH
Quote from MyBoss :In the mini chicane on FE Club before the last turn there is allso some HEAVY cutting.

Things like that is irritating me, because it means I have to do it to to be able to keep up, because if I don't do it the guy in my ass wil be all over me if I drive the correct line. And then, if I do it, someone else will do it and so on.
BAH

The answer is to save the replay of people cutting, and submit it at http://licence.ukct.net/report.asp. This way, it's guaranteed that they won't keep the points they gain by cheating
#21 - Dru
Quote from MyBoss :In the mini chicane on FE Club before the last turn there is allso some HEAVY cutting.

BAH

gonna have to disagree with you. Just cause somelse doe's it do'es not mean that you have too.

I got a lot more satisfaction on the STCC servers by coming second to a cutter or trying to keep a cutter behind you racing that 'joining him'.

Mimicking is a sign of respect/flattery, therefore if you copy the cutter, you are showing them that their actions are acceptable and they'll continue to do it.

I remember also clearly a race where a guy cut all the time and won the race, i assked after the race why he cut, his response was, i don't cut, only when the tyres and bales are there i drive straight over and cut Honestly....... lol
Quote from Dru :I got a lot more satisfaction on the STCC servers by coming second to a cutter or trying to keep a cutter behind you racing that 'joining him'.

Whilst i agree fully with not doing as they do, it's not a case of coming second to the cutter.
The other night on the experimental server at FE club there was a full grid, and the bales were never there at the last chicane because nearly everyone (well, at least a huge amount ) was cutting it, and it was impossible to race fairly.
Both Sam and Becky were present on the sever yet nothing was said. I ended up cutting it as well a few times, felt bad about it ,and ended up leaving the server as it just wasn't fair and sporting racing.

I'll happily finish a race dead last if i've been beaten fairly by everyone..but that was just silly.
#23 - SamH
That was the first night we'd got the W10 server up and running, I think, Stuart. We were still getting the layouts in to the correct dedi server directories, and I think we were paying more attention to getting the software running and the config files set up than checking for cutting
Quote from SamH :That was the first night we'd got the W10 server up and running, I think, Stuart. We were still getting the layouts in to the correct dedi server directories, and I think we were paying more attention to getting the software running and the config files set up than checking for cutting

Yeah, fair shout Sam...and it was pretty much a one off occurrence. it's certainly not something I've seen much on STCC tbh.

I wasn't having a dig at you guys <group hug>
#25 - SamH
hehe I didn't think you were having a dig

FE2 Cutting
(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG