The online racing simulator
LFS Instant Messenger & CD Player
(86 posts, started )
personally i dont care how difficult the application was to create, the fact that he came up with the project idea, and produced something with others in mind, is a testiment to his worth.

Great job Shaun, I look forward to your next project
#52 - J.B.
Some people in this thread should be ashamed of themselves. He's 8 FFS! Do you know any 8 year olds? Can you imagine reacting to one of them like that if he came up to you in real life to show you his first ventures into the world of programming?
Quote from Ian.H :...(if anyone remembers the classic 'SkidMarkz' game.. that was coded in BlitzBasic too)...

I do (was a nice game at that time) but it's no wonder they (Acid Software) used it: They also created Blitz Basic for the good old Amiga
Quote from J.B. :Can you imagine reacting to one of them like that if he came up to you in real life to show you his first ventures into the world of programming?

I think that's the key difference. We're not his friends or family to smile and give encouragement. Not that we're not nice people and won't do such a thing but rather this just isn't the place for it. If somebody is to share something here it should really be worth discussion. That's what a forum is for, after all.
To make a program, offer it for free download without bragging, and to invite constructive comments, that's something that many 28 year olds won't be able to do. So for an 8 year old, it's pretty amazing.

Shaun, a big for your effort. Sorry for the non-constructive feedback you got in this thread.
Quote from BBO@BSR :I do (was a nice game at that time) but it's no wonder they (Acid Software) used it: They also created Blitz Basic for the good old Amiga

Yup, true.. I mainly used that as it was somewhat of a flagship game from them for Blitz I think and one I had a great deal of enjoyment from.. just a pretty good example of what can be achieved with Blitz.. I still love the 80s classics even today If only my ex hadn't binned my Amiga and too many disks to count

Sorry for OT again.

Regards,

Ian
Quote from SamH :@baw.. I'm doing my best to keep my hands off and let this thread right itself without intervention.. please, no namecalling

I apologise, but really, picking on an 8 year old kid for trying to do some good in the world must make him want to go out and smash his neighbours windows.

I'm just to fast to resorting to such words, especcially since my volcabulary isn't the most educated in here.
LFS CD Player
once again... info?!?!?!
My LFS CD Player Made in Game Maker 7
Maybe just make a thread for your apps...
not a bad idea but a bit pointless. Alot of people use app's like Foobar and WMP to listen to music. Also, this program does'nt provide "great" quality, but nice try

Frenchy
I've got a CD player, it's called Windows Media Player... you sure love spamming shaun.
Guys, try and be positive for once. Sure you may not have a use for these apps, but they are still neat that someone so young is doing them, sorta like myself making pong clones in a Game-Maker when I was about 7. Give him a break, becuase atleast he's trying.

Good work Shaun, keep it up
I agree, ideas should be encouraged, not discouraged. And don't call him a spammer. That's spam. Even though this is primitive, who knows, someday we could all be flocking to this guy for a great piece of software he created. So I wouldn't put him down if I were you. Please read my avatar before posting!
Quote from Xaid0n :I've got a CD player, it's called Windows Media Player... you sure love spamming shaun.

We all have WMP but hey, some people don't like it so stay using WMP and don't annoy.

Good job Shaun.
Wouldnt it be funny if shaun wasnt actually an 8 yer old kid, but instead was bill gates having a laugh at us all. lol
Can I hax0r this program?
Quote from Blas89 :We all have WMP but hey, some people don't like it so stay using WMP and don't annoy.

Good job Shaun.

I don't have WMP, i have Winamp, it's always the first program i install when i reinstall windows :P
Quote from Taavi(EST) :I don't have WMP, i have Winamp, it's always the first program i install when i reinstall windows :P

So I do
Another nice gesture Shaun, keep at it and one day you'll be making Live For Speed S50 ... lol
Quote from TiJay :Also the chat program comes as a pre-built example. It looks like all that's been changed here is the graphics. But still, have fun with Game Maker, Shaun- I enjoyed it for a few years too. If you ever learn GML, you're better than me.

i used that to make it lol
EDIT:not the example the game maker lite (now i use pro)
When I was 8 or 9, I tried to create my own shell for DOS using QBASIC. I didn't know that much, but I did it all from scratch, using nothing but the builtin documentation. It was like this:

CLS
DO
INPUT "> ", command$

IF command$ = "hello" THEN
INPUT "What is your name? ", name$
PRINT "Hi, "; name$; "!"
END IF

IF command$ = "bye" THEN
GOTO 10
END IF

LOOP

10:
EXIT

Kids these days are SO lazy these days!
Quote from wheel4hummer :When I was 8 or 9, I tried to create my own shell for DOS using QBASIC. I didn't know that much, but I did it all from scratch, using nothing but the builtin documentation. It was like this:

CLS
DO
INPUT "> ", command$

IF command$ = "hello" THEN
INPUT "What is your name? ", name$
PRINT "Hi, "; name$; "!"
END IF

IF command$ = "bye" THEN
GOTO 10
END IF

LOOP

10:
EXIT

Kids these days are SO lazy these days!

i did that when i was 6!
#75 - axus
Quote from wheel4hummer :When I was 8 or 9, I tried to create my own shell for DOS using QBASIC. I didn't know that much, but I did it all from scratch, using nothing but the builtin documentation.

OLOLOLOLollololl. olol. Let's turn it into an *ahem* (censored) competition, shall we? I nearly made my mom drop me when I was 4, by telling her that 60/4 = 15. When she asked me how I did it, I said "Very simple, mom. I divided by two, and then by two again."
Big deal. None of it matters, what matters is what you can do now.

Shaun, good job, lad! Motivation at your age is a rare thing, just keep digging and you'll get far. If you really want to learn about programming, I recommend Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in... " stuff, though it's just Java/C++. Though, C++ is one mean language so you might want to get some experience with other stuff before you dig into that. As for Java, that's more of a high-level language (it hides stuff from you, making programming simpler) so it's not good to just get used to the convenience. Most of Bruce Eckel's books are free for download, from here:
http://mindview.net/Books/DownloadSites
and are quite easily among the best programming books out there. If you need some help/advice with simple programming, setting up compilers etc. feel free to add me on MSN and I'll help you out when I've got a spare minute or two.

LFS Instant Messenger & CD Player
(86 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG