The online racing simulator
I recently built a new system and am having the same problem. AA and AF don't work in LFS no matter what I try. I've got an ATI X800 GTO2 running Catalyst v7.4. I've tried setting the AA/AF manually to multiple different settings, and also tried using the "quality" slider. None of those fixed the problem. I tried changing my resolution in LFS using the menu and using the F9-F12 keys. That didn't work. I tried going to window mode and back. That didn't work. I even tried Alt+tabbing, and that didn't work either. AA and AF do NOT work, at all, no matter what.

Does anyone know of a driver that DOES work?

edit: This is a clean install of Patch W.
Hi Cue-Ball,

try much older then 7.4.Maybe from 6 series of drivers?

Also please report you problem to ATI as Sniiki did.As I said the more guys will report the bigger chance it will get solved by them.
Ticket filed with ATI.
Yeah, respond to that 1st answer you get (respond from ati site) becouse it's the usual bs to help newbies. Or maybe they start redirecting LFS AA related issues directly to Catalyst Crew if there's many same kind of problems.
Using ATT and making an LFS-profile fixes this. Looks to me like the driver is restarted with correct settings before the game's started.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Ticket filed with ATI.

thank you!
As Sniiki said please respond to their answer.This will forward then the issue to the Calayst driver team.
Quote from Lautsprecher[NOR] :Using ATT and making an LFS-profile fixes this. Looks to me like the driver is restarted with correct settings before the game's started.

Yea that's been told many times. Maybe I'm weirdo or lazy or something but I'd prefer to use CCC as it controls the fan in factory limits, now I'm afraid to choose too low rpms and then comes the noise, also I'm not sure if ATT shows the temps correctly or atleast they are higher than what CCC used to show as I recall. Now temps keep rising near 60 on desktop use with 2D clocks with noisy rpms (CCC used to keep it quiet and temps showed much lower)

Those damn GPU+mem waterblocks are too expensive still imo (in finland atleast).

EDIT. Please post your temp / rpm % tables so I could compare.

EDIT EDIT. Also, can I make a general 3D profile with ATT so I don't have to make separate shortcut for every game/app ?
Just a profile that rises clocks and puts AA and AF on.
Do you use some regcleaner? I had this problem when I deleted some Ati entry.
After de installing the drivers and trying to get an Nvidia to work, those drivers wouldn't install either.
I reinstalled Windows anyway but maybe try some driver cleaner.
Tried regclean with no luck. And as other apps work ok, I don't think it's registry or any other installation issue. But that's just me.
Quote from Sniiki :EDIT EDIT. Also, can I make a general 3D profile with ATT so I don't have to make separate shortcut for every game/app ?
Just a profile that rises clocks and puts AA and AF on.

I use the max quality D3D-profile that comes with ATT for most of my games. I just set up Game profiles so that the correct profile loads before tha game starts.
Quote from Sniiki :EDIT. Please post your temp / rpm % tables so I could compare.

Attached images
Untitled-1.png
Quote from Lautsprecher[NOR] :I use the max quality D3D-profile that comes with ATT for most of my games. I just set up Game profiles so that the correct profile loads before tha game starts.

Yea but I meant that how to make common profile that can be started without linking it to a game. So that I don't have to make separate shortcut for every game/app.
It sounds quite stupid not to be able to start 3D profile without starting a game (own 3D profile, not those that comes with ATT).
Maybe I've just missed something...

40% fan speed is rather noisy on my sapphire 1900xt. 20% or bit below gives the silent operation that CCC used to do on desktop use.

For 3D profiles I use higher speeds.
Quote from Sniiki :Tried regclean with no luck. And as other apps work ok, I don't think it's registry or any other installation issue. But that's just me.

The AA/AF problem is not registry related. I'm having the problem on my system and it is a clean install of XP SP2. I installed last week and the only video drivers that have been on my system are the Catalyst 7.4 drivers.
Hi Cue-ball,

did you reported that to ATI already?If not please do that asap and metnioedn LFS as well.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Hi Cue-ball,

did you reported that to ATI already?If not please do that asap and metnioedn LFS as well.

Like I said on the last page, I filed a ticket with ATI. I basically got back an email that said "thanks for contacting us, but don't expect to get a reply back."

I gave as much info as I could, so hopefully they'll be able to reproduce the problem and can fix it. It really pisses me off that this doesn't work. I built a new machine specifically to play LFS and now I can't even play with AA enabled. I've had a lot of trouble with ATI cards and won't be buying from them again. Their drivers always seem to have major issues.
Good news. ATI released Catalyst 7.5 today and this issue seems to be fixed, at least for me. At first AA/AF didn't work, but I had to change colour modes to 16-bit, then back to 32-bit and like magic it started working.
My ATi card was a bit funny a while ago with regards to anti-aliasing. I switched to the Omega drivers and it fixed it completely.
Quote from shiny_red_cobra :Good news. ATI released Catalyst 7.5 today and this issue seems to be fixed, at least for me. At first AA/AF didn't work, but I had to change colour modes to 16-bit, then back to 32-bit and like magic it started working.

That is good news! I'll have to give it a shot when I get home.

Just in time for patch X!

edit: 7.5 fixed the issue for me.
Still no clue what causes this.
#44 - Gunn
This used to happen to me a long time ago but either one of the patches or a driver change remedied the problem. Nvidia in use here.
Quote from Sniiki :It sounds quite stupid not to be able to start 3D profile without starting a game (own 3D profile, not those that comes with ATT).
Maybe I've just missed something...

You can do that to, they're the same profiles.
#46 - J.B.
With 7.5 I only had to reload the ATT profile when I switched to window and back. Now with 7.6 I need to use ATT after every single LFS start.
I started getting the same problem again with the 7.4 drivers. Tried testing whether it was the actual driver causing the problem or if it was the CCC itself. I ended up downloading and installing CCC and the drivers separately and i'm currently running 7.3 CCC with 7.5 drivers with the AA/AF initialization problems gone.

So it looks like it's CCC that's causing it, at least it was for me.

This is with an x1950xtx and XP btw.
OMG! Diz made a post

hi diz!!
#49 - arco
He must be bored, or have too much free time, or both

I think 7.6 is released. Dunno if it's fixed there.
Quote from arco :He must be bored, or have too much free time, or both

BINGO!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG