The online racing simulator
TEST Patch W35
(67 posts, closed, started )
I found a bug, I'm not sure how easily it can be reproduced, but I just happened to be messing with the AI, and I discovered in the XRR that if they do not get boost up high enough, the hand brake holds them at the start.

Guessing this has been a problem since false starts, not sure if it has been reported or not.

Watch the periwinkle AI 2nd to last. (it also occurs to the red AI infront of me but I hit it)
Attached files
AI_nostart.spr - 482.6 KB - 267 views
I'm wondering how the timing for the lights works, because on occasion I've seen one (sometimes 2) cars make unfathomably good starts without penalty, and the rest of the field get away as per usual. Unfortunately the start "lag/stutter" makes it impossible to tell whether they just pre-empted it and guessed spot on or the rest of the field just made an equally crappy start, or the fast started saw a green light sooner than others did.
Quote from hackerx :Noticed a bug with dedi server. After it has been running for some time, you can't enter commands & messages any more. That is, you can type text in and see it, press Enter, text disappears, but nothing happens.

Do you mean into the dedicated server window or logged in at the server as a host? I can not try typing messages or commands directly into the dedi because my servers are /dedicated=invisible (linux). I've obviously tried reproducing the bug logged in as an admin but it seemed to be working fine. The servers have been online since W34 was released and there has been some activity throughout the evening ...
Quote from sinbad :I'm wondering how the timing for the lights works, because on occasion I've seen one (sometimes 2) cars make unfathomably good starts without penalty, and the rest of the field get away as per usual. Unfortunately the start "lag/stutter" makes it impossible to tell whether they just pre-empted it and guessed spot on or the rest of the field just made an equally crappy start, or the fast started saw a green light sooner than others did.

Well - there is the theory that you can still "count off" the lights. For example - if you gauge the timing between the red lights coming on - and continue the count - you can almost exactly predict the green.

The randomness of the timing on the greens is not great enough.

This theory is trying to be proved now on the server.
Quote from Scawen :This one sounds... not so reproducable. Or is it? Would I just need to run a dedi for a while, or do I need to join and leave? Any ideas on the simplest way to make this happen? If I can make it happen easily then I'll be able to see what's up in the debugger.

There has to be some activity before this happens. Today it was running for few hours, max 3 people connected & there were few races. And I've noticed this bug quite few times already, since W26 I think.

Guess I test this some more tomorrow to find easy way to reproduce.

And yes, this is directly with dedi server, not when connected as admin.
Thanks and good luck, I've made a note to look in the code in the morning, to try and see any way that text could be entered but not processed.
This MPR was taken last night in W33. I just viewed it in W34 and, well, you'll see... some very weird stuff going on. I don't really know how to describe it.

edit: I just realized (part of) what's wrong with it... the MPR was taken at AS North, but the replay appears to be attempting to display it on AS Cadet.
Attached files
temp_mpr.mpr - 1.9 MB - 251 views
Quote from DeadWolfBones :This MPR was taken last night in W33. I just viewed it in W34 and, well, you'll see... some very weird stuff going on. I don't really know how to describe it.

edit: I just realized (part of) what's wrong with it... the MPR was taken at AS North, but the replay appears to be attempting to display it on AS Cadet.

Huh! yes, can confirm viewed on w33, displays at described above. Never seen that before.
Did some testing for that dedi text entry bug. It seems to be somewhat random, but most of the time appears as follows:

start dedi
connect
join
start race
(perhaps drive few metres...)
leave

Now commands entered into dedi are ignored, but just noticed that after some tries this bug can go away. That is, it may ignore 1 line, 20 lines or more but then suddenly starts working again.
Quote from Scawen :Thanks all for the testing. Most of the few bugs reported sound like they will be reproducable - not too worrying.

This one sounds... not so reproducable. Or is it? Would I just need to run a dedi for a while, or do I need to join and leave? Any ideas on the simplest way to make this happen? If I can make it happen easily then I'll be able to see what's up in the debugger.

Hi Scawen, this has been going on for sometime on my servers both patch W and the test patches. It normally happens after the server has been up for a few hours. A few times it has happened after you type a msg then straight away type another only to have nothing happen. I'm not sure if it's because i run teamspeak aswell and my push to talk button is the delete key and I sometimes use it while the lfs server is the current window.
It seems that if I connect to the server and enter a few admin commands it will start working again.
But it's hard to make it happen all the time so good luck trying to find the cause.
I can also confirm the dedi bug. After a while of playing on the server I can enter a message and nothing appears. Of course this happens after the server has been on for a while, but it is reproducable.
Quote from ninja469 :Hi Scawen, this has been going on for sometime on my servers both patch W and the test patches. It normally happens after the server has been up for a few hours. A few times it has happened after you type a msg then straight away type another only to have nothing happen. I'm not sure if it's because i run teamspeak aswell and my push to talk button is the delete key and I sometimes use it while the lfs server is the current window.
It seems that if I connect to the server and enter a few admin commands it will start working again.
But it's hard to make it happen all the time so good luck trying to find the cause.

I have also had this problem with the [MPR] server. It has been around for a while as ninja stated. Funny thing is that for me admin commands seem to work. Just no chatting. I haven't really had time to look into it and just ignored it because we dont really log in to the dedi too much because it runs through a VNC server to access. Also If we do we just use admin commands.
Quote from hackerx :Did some testing for that dedi text entry bug. It seems to be somewhat random, but most of the time appears as follows:

start dedi
connect
join
start race
(perhaps drive few metres...)
leave

Now commands entered into dedi are ignored, but just noticed that after some tries this bug can go away. That is, it may ignore 1 line, 20 lines or more but then suddenly starts working again.

Thank you for this reproduction method. I was able to reproduce and debug it. It was an unnecessary anti-message-spam timer which was not reset correctly when the game timer was adjusted after the last player left. I've simply removed this antispam timer, it's not needed on a dedicated host.
I think that the "Ready 4..3.." should be removed from quali
-
(guybrush) DELETED by guybrush : so i can add the spr
Hi i installed the test patch last night, everthing was running fine, Today i was racing on fex with about 12 a1 cars and all of a sudden everthing turned white exept the body of the cars, Not sure if its a problem with my graphics card its only a ati 7000 64 mb, never had any problems like this before. any idea's.
Pedal-Bars
I need sometimes the pedal-bars for visual control of pedals, the new small pedal-bars are a bit 2 small for me.
Quote from matze54564 :the new small pedal-bars are a bit 2 small for me.

I agree, as they are now they are even a bit useless, especially on CRT's.
-
(Dj-Aeri) DELETED by Dj-Aeri
Quote from Dj-Aeri :Bug.

:doh: That's a feature, at least the temperature one is.

Pressing Ctrl+Shift in the F9 menu shows the tyre surface temperature, instead of the average temperature over the whole tread thickness, and in the player list it shows the user's LFS licensed name, instead of the one he set up in Options > Player.
F9 screen
Something i have always not specifically W34. I cant basically use F9 menu in race. My FPS disappears from sometimes above 100 to around 10 I have to quickly shut it off sometimes using F10 also to restore FPS.

Sound familiar? I have an ATI card XT 850 pro just for reference.
Quote from SpikeyMarcoD :Something i have always not specifically W34. I cant basically use F9 menu in race. My FPS disappears from sometimes above 100 to around 10 I have to quickly shut it off sometimes using F10 also to restore FPS.

Sound familiar? I have an ATI card XT 850 pro just for reference.

Do you have FRAPS installed by any chance? F9 is the default video capture key, that would slow down as you described.
Quote from GFresh :Do you have FRAPS installed by any chance? F9 is the default video capture key, that would slow down as you described.

OOPS ok... well thnx
Changed display of laptime
Sorry if I'm asking somthing that was solved in another thread but I couldn't find how to get the best laps of drivers currently racing.

Before the new patches they were shown beneath the race time and the current lap time. When spectating or during training I used to check the best lap times of the other competitors. But how do I get that information now?

If this question was solved in another posting I'm sorry.
Quote from LupusC :Sorry if I'm asking somthing that was solved in another thread but I couldn't find how to get the best laps of drivers currently racing.

Before the new patches they were shown beneath the race time and the current lap time. When spectating or during training I used to check the best lap times of the other competitors. But how do I get that information now?

If this question was solved in another posting I'm sorry.

I'm just guessing here, but did you try pressing Ctrl+Shift?
Just joined a server that was patched to 35. No one was on there at the moment but within seconds others joined. Everyone was on ventrilo at that moment and I verified who was there but the list with joined players didn't show up. So I could only see tthe players that actualy joined the race. AFter the racers that joined the race had readied and qualy started, it looked all fine but something is wrong with the entry screen.

The players were mixed 34/35 patched and no consistency there.

Quickly skimmed the messages here to see wether it was already posted. Sorry if I missed it.
This thread is closed

TEST Patch W35
(67 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG