The online racing simulator
Does it really matter?
(14 posts, started )
Does it really matter?
Quote :
As Impreza mentioned, tires get dirty and it takes a few corners to clean them off. So, to avoid spinning all over again, brake early, drop down an extra gear, and generally take it easy till you're sure the tires are clean. There's a dirt bar in the bottom middle of each tire on the F9 screen to tell you how dirty they are. Don't add insult to injury!

Is this for real? Does it really mather if you brake to much? Does it really mather that your tyres are not "warmed up"? Does you tyres get muddy?

By the way... what's the problem with the hot tyres. I mean what's the difference. How does it feel?
Yes there is dirt and grass, if you go offroading you will notice how little grip you will have when you come back onto the track, and turning with dirty tires will make you slow down much more than usual or else you will go off the track and get your tires dirty again.

It doesn't really matter if your tires are not at optimum temperature, if they are still blue yes you'd want them to get a green tint, but I would choose bright blue over red in this case any time.

When your tires get overheated and turn red in the F9 display, it becomes very hard to control the car, much harder so than the effects of dirt.
Get out a RWD car and put it up against a wall and do a burnout until the rear tires turn red in the F9 display and try and drive it.

No need to ask when you can do.
Quote from XCNuse :
[...]
It doesn't really matter if your tires are not at optimum temperature, if they are still blue yes you'd want them to get a green tint, but I would choose bright blue over red in this case any time.
[...]

Surely you meant the other way round? Bright red is better than blue because the tyre will wear and when it does it'll cool down considerably. I'd rather be slow at first with new tyres then get gradually faster as they cool down than be fairly quick with only tinted green tyres and be extremely slow on dark blue tyres in the end.
Well, I guess your right, but in most average servers you join they are only a few laps, so it depends on the race length.

If its an hour or longer then yes, hotter would be more easy to control once the tires wear down, but if it is say 10 laps long and your tires get to hot they don't have time to cool down and you'll slide all over the place.

I see what you're saying, I just wasn't thinking of the long-term effects.

They should get slightly orange at most in the first third of the race, so your tyres don't cool down too much later, but if they're "bright red" your race is pretty much over, because you'll never make up for the lost time with your worn and green tyres afterwards.

Though, maybe our understanding of "bright red" is just different...
I want to add that the "dirty tire" physics in LFS are not very good. From my experiences in real life, it only takes 2-3 turns at full speed to get all the dirt off the tires, whereas in LFS the "dirt bar" stays dirty for entire laps.
You must not be going fast enough then I've taken off all the sand and junk off my tires in just a few turns.

What needs to be fixed though is the amount of dirt sand causes. I have never seen a tire hold sand like LFS does, usually it comes right off, it may stay some times, but not much. Same with grass, grass shouldn't stick on tires really at all, sometimes I see a blade or two stuck into a slick tire, but I've never seen a tire actually pick up grass unless the tires are locked up and are digging into the ground.
#8 - Ian.H
Quote from XCNuse : Same with grass, grass shouldn't stick on tires really at all, sometimes I see a blade or two stuck into a slick tire, but I've never seen a tire actually pick up grass unless the tires are locked up and are digging into the ground.

Especially with road tyres! Funny how I can slide a street car around on a field and drive off down the road as though I'd never touched the field.. but it definitely doesn't work like that in LFS.. you end up sliding about all over the place.. even with mud caked in the tread, my car still doesn't slide around. The tyre dirt physics are pretty much a gimmick unfortunately and about as far from reality as you can get.. but I guess I shouldn't complain, it's just yet another half-cocked "it'll do for now" solution, like aero, damage, collision detection (that should have been fixed back in S1 days surely as it's _critical_ to online racing as car's in reality don't _ever_ head for the moon!)

While the theory is a nice idea, like most sim features in LFS currently, it's so far off the mark it'd have been better not to add it at all... if something's worth doing, it's worth doing right.. but LFS seems to be more than content with "it's in.. we'll leave it as-is for 2+ years and hope we don't get / ignore any complaints" :rolleyes: while we add the important things, like allowing people to program new buttons into the UI... YAY! \o/

Personally I think with Scawen's recent line of thinking he should forget LFS and start working on a new version of Uplink. I thought LFS was a _race sim_ not a hacking sim

Regards,

Ian
Thanks for the answers.

Questions:
1. Where do I see this dirt bar, this blue/red bar?
2. What's the difference between tyres? Michelini and so on.
#10 - Jakg
1. Press F9 and the orange bar is Dirt
2. ATM, no difference
your tyres are blue then green ?? wtf i thought they where black....
Quote from theirishnoob :your tyres are blue then green ?? wtf i thought they where black....

You gotta love sarcasm

Does it really matter?
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG