The online racing simulator
Downforce
(15 posts, started )
Downforce
Just something i noticed the other day, when you change the angle of the car throught the suspension setup e.g. lowering the front of the car the amount of downforce/drag remain untouched, its not a huge deal but it thought it was worth mentioning as in reality it would have a bearing on the faster cars and cars with proper spoilers.

Thanks

TT2K
I think there is some effect on the track, it just doesn't show in the garage.
Quote from Forbin :I think there is some effect on the track, it just doesn't show in the garage.

there isnt.

This is one of the reasons unrealistic setups exist with impossible WR's, because the aero modeling has gaping holes which can be exploited.
Really? I thought that was what the whole aero fix was about, when it no longer made sense to run a high nose.
Quote from Forbin :Really? I thought that was what the whole aero fix was about, when it no longer made sense to run a high nose.

I am sure Scawen did something a bit more complex, but the simplest thing would have been just make downforce always point down to fix that.
There are lots of aero stuff that aren't modeled or are modeled only partially currently. Not sure about the OPs thing, maybe it has an effect maybe not.
No, lowering the front and raising the rear doesn't have an effect on downforce.

Maybe once Scawen gets into the aero programming we will see this (knowing him we should.)
I'm sure that it does have an effect in LFS. Remember the body pitch is, at very most, a couple of degrees. So the effects of body pitch are usually fairly small.
Quote from Forbin :Really? I thought that was what the whole aero fix was about, when it no longer made sense to run a high nose.

Yes, thats already fixed, but other glitches are not fixed. If u set the nose down, the downforce must be higher. If you set the nose high, the downforce must be less, and the speed on straight faster, and the speed in corners slower. Before the "high-nose aero fix" was the car with high nose faster by the same downforce. Now is the car not faster, but downforce is still the same, and thats wrong.
Quote from Bob Smith :I'm sure that it does have an effect in LFS. Remember the body pitch is, at very most, a couple of degrees. So the effects of body pitch are usually fairly small.

ONLY a few degrees? Last time I checked on a CFD test on a GT Nissan Z racer with a ground effects undertray, a "small" change of 2 degrees increase in forward rake shifted center of pressure forward by as much as 5% and increased downforce by a similar amount, with significant L/D improvements as well.

Which is why I currently do not take the significantly downforce dependent cars TOO seriously. Most peopel here seem to have no real idea how far away from reality the current aero model really is. In fact, all aero forces can be described in LFS by this simple equation as far as I can tell:

F = 1/2*density of medium*Frontal Area*Cd*v^2
If you make wobbly setup, you will see pitch of car has no effect on the downforce.
Try too see the difference on the shot.

It's much more than few degrees difference, but downforce is the same.
Attached images
downforce.jpg
Quote from pasibrzuch :If you make wobbly setup, you will see pitch of car has no effect on the downforce.
Try too see the difference on the shot.

It's much more than few degrees difference, but downforce is the same.

In LFS, you can get away with all sorts of weird setups on downforce cars, with the old high nose exploit being the worse example ever. IRL, you would try to keep things as stiff as possible for platform control and aero stability while still leaving enough compliance to cope with irregularities and low speed sections that depend more on mechanical than aero grip.
Either way, turning your car into a giant wedge will have no effect, not after that high nose bug fix. But even back in those days, downforce was always the same, but it was on the same X&Y axis as the chassis was, so really it wasn't creating any uplift, but rather downforce at an angle enough to speed the car up.

Like I have said, once Scawen fixes up the aero design, then we should see that if you make your car into a big wedge (rear up or down, nose down or up) we should see lift or drag.

But not until then.
Well, you are right all the way, but why quoted my post?

Downforce doesn't depend on body pitch in lfs. Instead, it looks like wings are linked to wheelbases. Downforce is jumping a little when driving on SO bumps for example.

Maybe that's the fix of high-nose bug
Highnose fix was that downforce is always perpendicular to the ground, rather than the bottom of the car.
I see, funny little bug.

Downforce
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG