The online racing simulator
Why would you waste hours on end trying to get enough credits to buy a car to which you have access to already on any other server? Just so you can be an "elite" player with the fastest car on that one server?

IMO, this kind of MMORPG-style, "I'm better than you because I've wasted more time than you"-mentality has no place in an online racing sim.
Quote from XCNuse :
Anyways, I think Ian hit the nail on its head, I think its the lack of updates/nothing better to do.

Its like when CLC started up with the Jamaica server thing, its fun for some time, but its a trend which loses style in a matter of weeks. Its just something to do rather than put up with the stresses of racing.

Lack of updates/nothing better to do?
Does it mean that, there isn´t anymore challenge in the combos which is already there? If so, those people on the jamaica server thing must be really good drivers
All the cruise stuff is about 5% driving and 95% socializing....kind of like an interative IRC channel.

Which is just fine by me. It means the social butterflys who cant stop talking can go there, and the people who want to race will do so at other servers, and not get annoyed by racers who just cannot stop typing while racing. It gets annoying, and the less of them in a race server, the better. Everyone benefits!
Quote from jayhawk :All the cruise stuff is about 5% driving and 95% socializing....kind of like an interative IRC channel.

Which is just fine by me. It means the social butterflys who cant stop talking can go there, and the people who want to race will do so at other servers, and not get annoyed by racers who just cannot stop typing while racing. It gets annoying, and the less of them in a race server, the better. Everyone benefits!

Good point (I also wish people would enter into groups, teams, where they could use Teamspeak etc., so they could talk instead of typing. It would be less disturbing for others)
Well after driving the same cars on the same tracks for the past 2 years does some take on how much you enjoy it all.

I enjoyed the Jamaica server for about a month, but that fashion ended quite quickly after it became bad news to everyone in it.

Also look at it this way, when you search around for servers, would you rather be on a server with a better car/track selection? Or on a server with more people?

Usually the answer is for the server with more people, so that could also be why more people join those servers because that is where everyone is.

Think of it like the local gas station hangout, that is basically what it is.
Quote from Humbleridderen :Lack of updates/nothing better to do?
Does it mean that, there isn´t anymore challenge in the combos which is already there? If so, those people on the jamaica server thing must be really good drivers

The reasons I drive on this server:

1.- I have been playing this game for over 3/3,5 years, demo S1 time etc etc. I seriously got bored of going online and finding the same combos all the time (GTR@AsNat,FOX@BL) also I dont really like to say this but yes im bored of the lack of updates. I mean atleast 2 cars on this game arent being used at all ( F08,RAC) then there is the cars that almost never get used ( LX6,FZ5,LX4) and the rest is just being overused ESPECIALLY FXO,FZR.\=

2.- I have lead the TC team with Brad for a long time( Im not leader anymore, rather Co-Leader due to reasons.) which kept me running for a long time and its more the managing aspect of the TC team which makes me not get bored with Citydriving.

By the way, I DO still race but not as often as before.

[TC]Jegor
Quote from XCNuse :
Anyways, I think Ian hit the nail on its head, I think its the lack of updates/nothing better to do.

Lack of updates, he.. maybe lack of good combos/good taste/common sense?
Have you been checking the server list lately? It's CLC, City Driving, Jamaica, STCC(or CTRA whatever with 10 polygons UF1)... and there are inevitable FOX and GTR servers (look at me mom, i am driving a plane, it has so much gripzORzzZ!!! Yeeeeee)...
#58 - Jakg
To be fair, the CTRA servers have revived the dead STD and TBO classes, and they do rotate tracks - its the BL1/FOX, AS3/GTR etc people get annoyed at.

IMO the LRF's are WAY underused.
I haven't been on LFS in a long time.

CTRA (STCC) made LFS quite enjoyable, but once you get gold it takes a long time to get some points, and problem then is that you're just working on something for months to get to the next license, and by then you can't take the same cars anymore.

Bob needs to set up his LX server again, it never got much attention, but I think everyone here is yearning for it apparently.

I tell you what though, go to LFSW and look at the graphs, and over about a week's period figure out the average of racers online, and then watch how much it will increase after the next few patches.
#60 - Jakg
The CTRA system was, in truth, good because of people's greed for points - they wanted more points, so they had to race - even if they didn't like the car or the track, and after actually trying a new combo (and not giving up after a lap, spending a few races doing it) they've learned how fun the other track is, and at the same time learned a new thing about the car - ie i recommend everyone tried the last 2 turns at SO2R (South City Sprint 1 Reversed) in a car of their choice (although preferably RWD) as chucking it uphill into a tight bend really teaches you alot about the dynamics of a car you "thought" you had sussed because of the laps you've done on track x. The greed for points FORCES you to try new stuff, and it's a great way to "get away" from the horrors of AS3/GTR, BL1/FOX. Of course, once you get bored with the track you know a new one will be along soon enough for you to stay on and just see if you can try to like the track - if you don't like the cars (which i can understand - there are a LOT of people that just don't like the road cars for whatever reason, and would much rather be going with something faster, ie a GTR, that's slick-shod) then your screwed.

Bob can set up his LX server all he wants - but there are 500 servers running pretty much every combo you can think of, and yet only 40 or so get populated - UKCT ran an "Odd Combo" club that ran odd combo's picked by a panel and it was empty 95% of the time, we ran a "Odd Compo" server that picked combo's (based of the STCC track rotation), but it only ever picked up when UKCT went in, and even then the thing never really got >8 people in. We've run LRF servers, but no-one ever uses them - there are a LOT of people that claim to love them, but once they get in a typical LRF situation (5 racers, tight track like SO3) they realise their pigs to drive and that racing in them is harder than in an FXO or FXR and they go away. I love them, but i suck and if you want super close racing they aren't the greatest cars in the world. They are nice to drive, but people just don't want to race them, and the people on the forum who like them don't seem to be a representation of the wider LFS'ing public.
The question is, do we want that kind of mentality on racing servers? *dramatic music*

Seems to me that those servers mostly have younger and...emm...yeah...that's the word...younger people.
Quote from kurent :The question is, do we want that kind of mentality on racing servers? *dramatic music*

Seems to me that those servers mostly have younger and...emm...yeah...that's the word...younger people.

Let it be!
If people choose those servers, it must be because, they prefere that. If others, f.ex me, would like people to race more on the "racing" servers, it´s up to those servers to be better to "sell" their concept. I´m convinced, that there is so many good servers, teams and races to join. People just need to to try to come more on other servers and learn new combos they are not used to. Also stay a little more on the servers even there are very few. Many times people suddenly comes.
To be honest, some of the comments written shows that the users defenetly didn't go to a [TC]CityDriving server to see what City Driving has to offer. I get the feeling that all different City Driving servers/teams have their own focuses and differences, just like other racing leagues.

The TC servers have some laws, and some rules. When people break the rules they can be banned, as they destroy the fun for others.
But when people break the laws (like speeding), then there will be cops starting to chase them, and that's something fun.

Believe me, it's quite something to shake off a cop in an XFG if the cop drives an FXO, RB4 or FZ5 :haha: ... you could call it racing, but some wouldn't like that, but it's defenetly not 'just cruising along following speed limits' ... you really have to work at it, and hope that there won't be some more cops joining the chase, or you're gonna be busted!
And as a cop, you really have to analyze what the driver in front does, plan ahead, and use every little mistake from the suspect.

So, it's not that much different in the cop chases than in racing, the only difference is that you're not 100% sure what way the suspect will go. In racing you know that the person in front are going to follow the track ... in cop chases the suspect can do an emergency brake turn in front of you and suddenly go in the other direction, so you're on your toes as much as in racing, if not even more.

(as a sidenote, I used to drive in several other leagues (GPL, NR2003, EA F1-series etc.) but I got tired of it, so I know what you mean. I raced too much, actually so much that they JOY dissapeared ... so I unscrewed the wheel and didn't do any racing at all for a couple of years, but now with the TC servers, I actually found the joy again, so that's why I've stayed ... and bought LFS ... so you should all be glad that also the city driving people have paid for the development of LFS ... even though we might have different taste ... and not join 'your servers' )
Stealing people? :0 I didnt know we had the power of brainwaving people to enter our servers

Look, they choose our servers because they want to, we have a friendly community coupled with good management.

If you want to race and dont like it, fine, it wont affect you, but we arnt exactly "stealing" people, this is a DRIVING simulator not specifically a racing one.

Get over it, we contribute to a CNR community, so let us do it without negative comments for no reason, when you havent even seen the hard work we put in, like website and forums to help anyone with user reports, plus the 15+ admins we have.

Brad
#65 - SamH
I've closed shop It's become apparent that new people are now coming along, reading the first post, not reading the thread and are posting completely out of context or just regurgitating stuff that's already been said AND resolved elsewhere in the thread. When that happens, nothing good comes of it. Since I'm a mod, I get to have the last word in the thread, and it's this:- "parp".
This thread is closed

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG