The online racing simulator
Activate LFS from behind a corporate proxy firewall
Hi

I am a system admin for our organisation. We use a proxy firewall to route all internet traffic, this requires logon but uses domain user ID.

I cannot active LFS because it does not have any proxy settings nor does it utilise the IE proxy settings.

Can anyone tell me how to get around this please?

Thanks
#2 - Krane
Since your the/one of admin(s), you could disable the proxy for the port 29339 (IIRC) used for unlocking?
#3 - Jakg
Can you web-browse? If so, look in the "cfg.txt" file for "Port 80" - if you change it to "1" it will let LFS unlock via port 80!
Well finding out the port used to unlock is progress, but sadly i do not admin the proxy firewall, just out everything within our domain.

I suppose i will have to come up with a ligitmate excuse to get this port unblocked for a short while.

What if i was to install on my laptop and then take home and activate and then bring back into work, would all the other people connecting to my laptop be able to use the extra cars and tracks when playing a LAN multiplayer?
Quote from mcompton69 :What if i was to install on my laptop and then take home and activate and then bring back into work, would all the other people connecting to my laptop be able to use the extra cars and tracks when playing a LAN multiplayer?

No.

But as Jakg suggested, find the line "Port 80 0" in your cfg.txt and change it to "Port 80 1".
Quote from Jakg :look in the "cfg.txt" file for "Port 80" - if you change it to "1" it will let LFS unlock via port 80!

Nice try mate, but sadly the proxy requires authentication and LFS does not use NTLM (Windows NT Lanman) authentication or even have any settings to enter the proxy details manually. So all it does is try to send the activation
direct from my PC on port 80 and fails.

Any other ideas? LFS developers - please put the option to use a proxy into your game, as there is in many other games these days - you are preventing many customers from playing your great game!!!!
#7 - Krane
Quote from AndroidXP :No.

But as Jakg suggested, find the line "Port 80 0" in your cfg.txt and change it to "Port 80 1".

That doesn't help in this case. The only thing it does is, it will change the port LFS tries to connect while unlocking (IIRC/AFAIK/ANDALLTHAT). It will only help if all other ports except 80 is blocked. In this case all ports are blocked (except 80 which req. proxy) or all ports req. proxy.

Quote from mcompton69 :What if i was to install on my laptop and then take home and activate and then bring back into work, would all the other people connecting to my laptop be able to use the extra cars and tracks when playing a LAN multiplayer?

I'm not sure, but I think after LFS has been unlocked, it doesn't need Internet access anymore. So that would work provided every one connecting to your server in the LAN has been unlocked for separate usernames/licenses.

If you only have 1 license, the LAN game for all cars/tracks will only work for 2 players (both of them have to be unlocked) - of that I'm 99.999...% sure, as it's supposed to be that way.
Edit:I'm not sure is that allowed...
Quote from http://www.liveforspeed.net/?page=agreement :3. Unlock Rules and Regulations
3.1 You may install S1 or S2 on 2 computers for your own use or to race a friend on a Local Network.

I guess that means home, not just any LAN... dunno
Errr, okay, networking never was my strong point :dunce:
Quote :3. Unlock Rules and Regulations 3.1You may install S1 or S2 on 2 computers for your own use or to race a friend on a Local Network.

I guess that is simply that if you unlock one game online, you can then do another using same credentials (again, online activation). I suppose this is because the activation server allows 2 different IP address on same account. This is interesting to know but i dont think it will help me.

Thanks for the ideas though - keep em coming!
Quote from AndroidXP :Errr, okay, networking never was my strong point :dunce:

Quote from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server :
A proxy server is a computer that offers a computer network service to allow clients to make indirect network connections to other network services. A client connects to the proxy server, then requests a connection, file, or other resource available on a different server. The proxy provides the resource either by connecting to the specified server or by serving it from a cache. In some cases, the proxy may alter the client's request or the server's response for various purposes.

The keyword being: indirect
"relayed" and "on behalf of" in simple terms means about the same...
#11 - Davo
Perhaps there's a program that can diret all http through the proxy for you. What I mnean is that it'll grab the lfs http request and then send it through the proxy. I've heard of a program called proxifier being mentioned on this forum, try giving that a go.
Quote from mcompton69 :I guess that is simply that if you unlock one game online, you can then do another using same credentials (again, online activation). I suppose this is because the activation server allows 2 different IP address on same account. This is interesting to know but i dont think it will help me.

I also don't think this helps you in any way but afaik: The master server doesn't really care with what IP you unlock the game. It just depends on how many unlocks you still got (on the master server). In any case you can't play online with 2 users using the same account.
#13 - Davo
Yeah that's right. You can unlock the game each month on a different pc, but only 1 of them is allowed online play at a time.
Quote from AndroidXP :No.

I am also having trouble unlocking LFS from behind a firewall (i dont have admin rights)
Does the above technique work for patch W? I can't seem to find the line 'port 80' in the cfg.txt

any help unlocking LFS would be great! Thanks

edit: it appears from this thread that this technique won't work anyway. Any other ideas?
Do some work! j/k
Get the PC to your home .Unlock it there and bring it back to your work.
This will definately work.
Thanks guys but neither of those are particuarly useful suggestions
Is there anyway to unlock from behind a firewall? Otherewise its demo for me for the next 12 months
#18 - Davo
Search for prgrams that tunnel connections through http. I know they exist since I've heard them mentioned before but I've never had the need to use them so never looked into them myself.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG