The online racing simulator
Throttle Cut affects?
(25 posts, started )
Throttle Cut affects?
I didnt found nothing like that, i used search etc...
Does the throtle cut affects u when racing?

if its simethin like that i would like the link... and mod close the thread if its a current thread about this
Yes.

Positive effects:
  • No sudden spikes in torque being applied to the wheels (means the rear is less likely to break loose during acceleration)
  • No engine damage whatsoever caused by "flatshifting"
  • Makes consistent driving easier for newbies, or racers who yet have to get adjusted to having pedals
  • Prevents the ugly noise flatshifting makes
Negative effects:
  • Slightly worse acceleration due to missing torque spike
  • Even worse acceleration for turbo boosted cars, because the boost gets lost due to the throttle being lifted
  • Promotes getting lazy with your right foot
#3 - DrDNA
I have my left paddle-shifter set as the clutch and use it between shifts most of the time when fooling around offline. It's completely unnecessary but having that rpm drop-off before the next gear engages can sound quite good .

Yeah, yeah, I'll drop the money on a g25 eventually :P.
Wouldn't Flat-Shifting in real life pretty much destroy your engine?

Gets irritating really seeing people do it in the demo just to get the upper hand. I'm hoping that significantly less people do it in S2 (which I hope to purchase this weekend )
Please bear in mind, that online it looks like a lot more people flatshift than they actually do. This is because the throttle lifting is so fast and short, that it can be easily missed between two packets. So while player A makes a perfectly normal shift, player B might only see two packets with "full throttle in 3rd gear" and then suddenly "full throttle in 4th gear", which your LFS client invariably shows as flatshift.
Quote from sinkoman :Wouldn't Flat-Shifting in real life pretty much destroy your engine?

I'd say that constantly flatshifting in road cars would probably do more damage to the clutch and to the gearbox and to the drivertrain as a whole. I have no idea about the power output change caused by the engine wear if flatshifting recklessly, I mean, how severe it might be. Road cars in generally are quite a bit more durable (than race cars) because the low engine tuning level. Burning the clutch and shredding the teeth of the gearbox cogs might be more probable in a road car than blowing the engine from flatshifting. Wouldn't be too surprized to see a broken axle as a result from aggressive driving like jumping over the kerbs with power on...

Race cars are a bit different though
Quote from Hyperactive :I'd say that constantly flatshifting in road cars would probably do more damage to the clutch and to the gearbox and to the drivertrain as a whole. I have no idea about the power output change caused by the engine wear if flatshifting recklessly, I mean, how severe it might be. Road cars in generally are quite a bit more durable (than race cars) because the low engine tuning level. Burning the clutch and shredding the teeth of the gearbox cogs might be more probable in a road car than blowing the engine from flatshifting. Wouldn't be too surprized to see a broken axle as a result from aggressive driving like jumping over the kerbs with power on...

Race cars are a bit different though

i agree to that extent, for the road cars flatshifting isnt really even an option for a whole race, those transmissions are not sycronized enough to handle that kind of stress, and you'd be taking teeth off everytime.

Its only a matter of time though before we see more drivetrain damage models
#8 - ajp71
To my knowledge flat shifting is never done in any car in a conventional racing environment, there are plenty of sophisticated gearboxes that allow the driver to keep his right foot resting on the end stop but they all cut either the ignition or close the throttle bodies. In LFS you can flat downshift in the FOX and it is a popular choice round one or two corners at Westhill, IRL flat downshifting tends to blow a big whole in the side of your engine.
I didnt no ingame engine damage was modled by pure flatshifting. i do it quite a lot (im lazy:shy
Didnt relise it was harming my engine, cant say i noticed the effects
The damage you cause by flatshifting is really minimal currently. Some cars you can flatshift till the end of time and they still don't have any noticeable effects. With some cars you get a crackling sound if you flatshift for longer periods, but still the performance difference isn't much, if not at all.
Quote from Spils :I didnt no ingame engine damage was modled by pure flatshifting. i do it quite a lot (im lazy:shy
Didnt relise it was harming my engine, cant say i noticed the effects

Take some turbo car, accelerate to 6th gear and drop to 1st gear or reverse at full speed... with both gearcut and blip turned off. The engine should do "popcorns" after that.
Quote from deggis :Take some turbo car, accelerate to 6th gear and drop to 1st gear or reverse at full speed... with both gearcut and blip turned off. The engine should do "popcorns" after that.

Do it in the fxr and you don't even get popcorns
#15 - Woz
The aussie V8s have a button on the gear stick that when pressed will throttle cut to allow flat shifts. The drivers dont use this at lower speeds as they use the clutch then
Quote from deggis :Take some turbo car, accelerate to 6th gear and drop to 1st gear or reverse at full speed... with both gearcut and blip turned off. The engine should do "popcorns" after that.

Yer i no in that respect your engine makes a high pitch pop noise.. I just mean in a race i hardley ever lift on upshifts... on downshifts of course i lift..

Just didnt relise that not lifting on upshifts is giving damage like i say i cant feel any real difference as the race goes on.
Quote from Spils :
Just didnt relise that not lifting on upshifts is giving damage like i say i cant feel any real difference as the race goes on.

It doesn't - I never use throttle cut or lift manually and have yet to witness this damage.
Quote from r4ptor :It doesn't - I never use throttle cut or lift manually and have yet to witness this damage.

Done any 100 lap stints in the lx6 lately?
Quote from Blowtus :Done any 100 lap stints in the lx6 lately?

Can't say I have - but why aren't all cars affected? We are talking about up shifting, right?
Quote from r4ptor :Can't say I have - but why aren't all cars affected? We are talking about up shifting, right?

Some engines are more sensitive to damage from over-revving.
flat shifting is faster in any situation, u dont damage the engine if u are fast at shifting (in real life) but shifts are super fast in LFS anyway
flat shifting in turbo cars keeps boost up, flat shifting sounds awesome
Quote from Woz :The aussie V8s have a button on the gear stick that when pressed will throttle cut to allow flat shifts. The drivers dont use this at lower speeds as they use the clutch then

Also when they shift from 2nd to 3rd and from 4th to 5th they sometimes use the clutch because if they do make a mistake (putting it into 1st or 3rd), at least the clutch is disengaged to prevent bigger damage.

Anyhow, I ripped the part out when they spoke about it in sundays race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TjO_hi8woQ
Quote from Batterypark :Some engines are more sensitive to damage from over-revving.

Quote from r4ptor :but which cars?

Ah, I overlooked the "over-revving" part, sorry about that - but my first reply was regarding throttle cut vs. no throttle cut, and of cause while doing it within the safe limit - and thats what I meant by "I never use throttle cut or lift manually and have yet to witness this damage".

Throttle Cut affects?
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG