The online racing simulator
GT Legends
(39 posts, started )
GT Legends
Yesterday i´ve downloaded the GT Legends demo and the game looks pretty cool...But before buying the game i would like to ear some opnions of someone who has the full game to see if it is really worth the money. Thanks in advance for any replys!
I don't have the game (only tried the demo, too) but I think if you like the physics and the general settings (you know, old car racing and stuff) I guess it's worth the money.

Personally, I have to say LFS spoilt me in the term of racing sims. After playing it there's no way I accept any other game that claims to be a 'sim' when it doesn't have this certain feel to it. RBR is one of the select few that actually archieves that. Games based on the ISI engine are not, atleast for me. Really, I either need a sim with the right feel to it, or a total arcade game. Everything else is undrivable for me because I expect the cars to react in a certain way and then I'm disappointed if they don't do it

Anyways, I think the demo is a good way to see if you like it - and if it appeals to you, buy it. I mean, it's not going to ruin you, isn't it?
Just demo here, looked nice, but i just had the feeling the car was not really connected to the track, like floating a few cm above it. I tried to play the demo for a while, good fun but not my cup of tea really.
#4 - steve
Its the best race sim ive played to date
#5 - ajp71
Quote from al heeley :Just demo here, looked nice, but i just had the feeling the car was not really connected to the track, like floating a few cm above it. I tried to play the demo for a while, good fun but not my cup of tea really.

I think it is almost really that it doesn't communicate to well at first the general lack of grip and complete lack of structural rigidity

Playing the demo and it's starting to feel better now.
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
#6 - Tooby
Hi!
I was a fan of simbins stuff but the first demo worked bad (GTR) and the second...(GTL)
I don't think I can shut down my computer that fast even if I disconect power. So I had been looking forward to drive thoose cars but it will not happen. I have read a lot off good things about GTL but I stay with LFS.
vMax.Munko likes it, and I was at his house on Friday, playing it with a DFP.

Now, I'm a big LFS fan, so I don't think GTL could ever tempt me to spend money on it, but it's not bad. If you like driving classic (well, just old for most of them), and are not too bothered about realistic handling, can cope with the lack of attention to detail and modern looking tracks, then you might enjoy it.
Quote from tristancliffe :vMax.Munko likes it

He wont shut up about the damn thing!
Quote from markredden :He wont shut up about the damn thing!

You should give him a lesson :chairs:

I played the demo and it doesn't feel as good as it looks. Which is a pity. The main problem is force feedback. I could live with it if I'd feel the car same way I feel it in LFS or even in GTR.

It's kinda funny that most of the players who dig it seem to like it just "because it has awesome legendary cars". And most of them have never played LFS (or have just tried the demo).
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
dunno after i got my new video card i ran it again which was much better.. ran alot smoother so i could actually do some laps..

turned out i did one lap.. and uninstalled it immediately lol.. the handling was just plain weird.. i too didnt really get much feedback, i dont know if it was something wrong in the settings.. but it was awful
i tryed the demo, put it to realistic mode and i didn't like it.. it felt wrong..

so i looked to the .PLR file, and noticed, that even in "realistic" mode some driving aids are on!!! (so much for the "racing simulator" )

anyway, i disabled all i could in .PLR, and tryed few laps, and handling is much better... a feel for a car is a lot better than in GTR, and i dare to say that realism is on LFS levels... only forcefeedback could be better..

also a choice of cars in demo is good, each of them has very different driving characterstics...

file can be found here: C:\GTLDemo\UserData\<Username>\<Username>.plr

and the edited values...
[ DRIVING AIDS ]
Steering Help="0"
Steering Help Functionality="1" // 0 = new help, 1 = new help + grip, 2 = original, 3 = original + grip
Throttle Control="0"
Brake Help="0"
Antilock Brakes="0"
Spin Recovery="0"
Invulnerability="0"
Autopit="0"
Opposite Lock="0"
Stability Control="0"
No AI Control="0" // AI never has control over car (except autopit)
Pitcrew Push="1" // When out of fuel in pitlane, allows pitcrew to push car (use throttle and gear selection to direct)
Corner Markers="0" // Show corner marker icons to indicate corner severity and suggested gear
Pit Direction Indicator="0" // Show arrow icon to indicate direction of pit exit
Pit Spot Marker="1" // Show marker to indicate corner pit spot location
Auto Clutch="1"
Auto Lift="0" // Whether to automatically lift with manual shifting but auto-clutch (non-semiautomatic trans only)
Auto Blip="0" // Whether to automatically blip with manual shifting but auto-clutch (non-semiautomatic trans only)
Shift Mode="0"

..Autopit will reset to "1" after each start
Quote from markredden :He wont shut up about the damn thing!

I'll echo that, on MSN it's all he talks about
Nitemare, couldnt you make the .plr file read-only?
Thanks everybody for the replys...
It looks no one is willing to change GTL for LFS. Well... neither am I!!
The sensation of driving is much better in LFS.(althoug I need to try Nitemare advice to see how it goes...) And as some of you said the force feedback is really disapointing. At least with my wheel I don't feel anything... But anyway I still think it can be a fun game to play singleplayer and leave real racing to LFS.
I have just bought the Game, and i have to say that i was very dissapointed!
The car has no 'feel' to it. I've tried to set up my controller for hours to get it better, but no luck just yet. The car, when you go round a corner and show off, should step out, and you should be able to hold it very easily. Not the case! once the car steps out, 9 times out of 10 your going to spin!
There's no real feedback from the game.
I'm going to give it a couple of weeks, and then it'll probably end up on ebay!!!
Stick with LFS in my opinion, far more realistic.
Well, you should've tried the demo first then.
I did.
Usually the demos only give a taster of what the game is like. i though it was ok. but there didn't seem to be any improvement in the handling of any of the cars. Yes the graphics seemed a bit better, but that was it!
I don't know many LFS players who like GT Legends. They all blame (as I do too) the lousy FF feel. I think this just tells something about the goodness of LFS.
Well, they give a taser about the content, but I think it's pretty much common sense to not expect greatly different physics between demo and full game.

Weren't demo and full game released at the same time, too? That would've been a further indicator that the game engines are based on the same build. Whatever, the point is, it doesn't come close to LFS physics wise, so to a dedicated LFSer it will feel like crap.
I dont know what you guys are talking about 'no feel' for the cars in GTL, the feeling is way better then the feel I get from LFS.. You can feel every bump on the track surface, you can actually feel going over rumble strips, you can feel cars UNDERSTEER in GTL none of which you can feel in LFS
The only thing I feel in GTL is a crapload of canned FF effects. The most important feel, namely the 'connected to road' feel is completely missing. Also whenever I do something in LFS, I understand the reaction of the car, and I understand what I did wrong when the reaction was negative for my laptime. In the GTL demo the cars reaction mostly put a big "WTF" on my forehead. And yes, that was after I hacked all files to remove the remaining AIDs.

I don't want to say LFS is perfect in every way, but if you don't notice the immediate difference between simulation (LFS) and a big compilation of data curves (any game based on ISI engine) then there's no point trying to explain it.

It may also be a different set of priorities. Some people prefer the immersion (like you?), which on the first look is better in GTR/GTL/rFactor and takes way more time to develop in LFS, while others (like me) prefer the plausible action-reaction model and the purist simulation in general. Don't get this wrong, I don't want to say one or the other is better, it's just a different kind of tastes, and you know, you can't argue about tastes.
Quote from steve :I dont know what you guys are talking about 'no feel' for the cars in GTL, the feeling is way better then the feel I get from LFS.. You can feel every bump on the track surface, you can actually feel going over rumble strips, you can feel cars UNDERSTEER in GTL none of which you can feel in LFS

I don't feel that in GTL (well, okay, I feel more kerbs, but it's long been known that not all LFS kerbs are bumby).

But I do feel the understeer in LFS.
yay for the tri-monthly ISI engine reash game!
the skin changes the crap underneath doesnt.
i thought nsr was the ubber pinaccle of isi engines as bob stanley and rsc put it. yeah im just being ironic there. no wonder he got out of papy, wtf was that hype build to nsr? wtf?
gtl,rf,gtr2002,gtr,nsr,nascarthunder2004,f1c,f2002 etc etc. the list goes on and on. they dont pump out a dif sim every 3 months out of alien efficiency...
generally speaking, if u find a bug in one of those u can be sure it happens in the next...
no wonder FF is equal in all dat crap. so are the canned physics. they did improve some car data inputed to the same good old physics engine but other than that it show its limitations in every disguise it might take.
gtl is obviously a rushed out product and cut in half. and blimey still has to make gtr2 a simbin product while knowing the fame will go to simbin. how disgusted they are... they just wanna rush it out like they did gtl and move on to what next gen they wanna do. simbin does know how to rape a good copyright under the table but they do disguise them preety well. Some talent existed in that art team indeed but what good is a pearl in a bucket of shit? still smells.
now they left for blimey.
all i can say is blimey, i hope nkpro is better competition than all that isi crapload including that LFS meets RACER project which is rcraptor.
oh and good effort by isi by providing a first day mod to their substandard lfs-meets-racer project, named f3, skipping any copyrights or licenses. still havent lost that wonderful under the table touch eh? (f12002>gtr) at least they requested a n2003 guy to "make" it. besides being best effort on isi engine, it was done officially in 1 day without any "interest" whatsoever by isi team. right?
yeah right...

sim market mediocrity flooders.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :yay for the tri-monthly ISI engine reash game!
the skin changes the crap underneath doesnt.
i thought nsr was the ubber pinaccle of isi engines as bob stanley and rsc put it. yeah im just being ironic there. no wonder he got out of papy, wtf was that hype build to nsr? wtf?
gtl,rf,gtr2002,gtr,nsr,nascarthunder2004,f1c,f2002 etc etc. the list goes on and on. they dont pump out a dif sim every 3 months out of alien efficiency...
generally speaking, if u find a bug in one of those u can be sure it happens in the next...
no wonder FF is equal in all dat crap. so are the canned physics. they did improve some car data inputed to the same good old physics engine but other than that it show its limitations in every disguise it might take.
gtl is obviously a rushed out product and cut in half. and blimey still has to make gtr2 a simbin product while knowing the fame will go to simbin. how disgusted they are... they just wanna rush it out like they did gtl and move on to what next gen they wanna do. simbin does know how to rape a good copyright under the table but they do disguise them preety well. Some talent existed in that art team indeed but what good is a pearl in a bucket of shit? still smells.
now they left for blimey.
all i can say is blimey, i hope nkpro is better competition than all that isi crapload including that LFS meets RACER project which is rcraptor.
oh and good effort by isi by providing a first day mod to their substandard lfs-meets-racer project, named f3, skipping any copyrights or licenses. still havent lost that wonderful under the table touch eh? (f12002>gtr) at least they requested a n2003 guy to "make" it. besides being best effort on isi engine, it was done officially in 1 day without any "interest" whatsoever by isi team. right?
yeah right...

sim market mediocrity flooders.

And the thing is, all the ISI games are announced as

"The most realistic driving experience yet, as proven by REAL race drivers". And all the ISI fan boys fall for it too.

I too hope Netkar is better competition, as the ISI assault is just insulting...
#25 - avih
Quote from tristancliffe :And the thing is, all the ISI games are announced as

"The most realistic driving experience yet, as proven by REAL race drivers". And all the ISI fan boys fall for it too.

I too hope Netkar is better competition, as the ISI assault is just insulting...

I've tried netkar (the free version) recently. Quite interesting actually. Different than LFS, worse sound (especially tyres), nice tracks available for download (got Donington, Laguna seca, Valencia and few more). The formula cars are both nice and different than LFS. But it's lightyears behind LFS in total experience imho, and it didn't find online servers to try multiplayer (I guess I could have entered server ip manually, but I'd have to find one 1st, and it didn't do it for me automatically).

Worth keeping an eye on netkar pro when it comes out.

GT Legends
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG