The online racing simulator
22" Non-Widescreen?
(41 posts, started )
22" Non-Widescreen?
Can you get a half decent 22" monitor that isnt widescreen.

I dont want black bars on the screem for obvious reason, or is it not all that bad??

Cheers
uh black bars while doing what ?

btw most widescreen 22"s use rubbish tn panels so id advise against buying them either way
What black lines are you referring to?
Also, widescreen's size is the exact same, except in a different way. Widescreen is obviously wider and may seem smaller, but you have however much more width to put things instead of the height. A 4:3 22" screen would just mean it would be the same.

But nevermind that, you need to worry more about dot pitch and native resolution, because who wants something that is large but blurry to where you can't even read it.

Now that you've responded before me, those lines are just lines they have in movies, you can't get rid of it, thats just what they do, but if you want everything widescreen then.. buy a widescreen!
Still have no idea what you're on about those black lines with, that has nothing to do with monitors, its just a beyond 16:9 aspect movie, thats all, that has nothing to do with ... anything really.
Well if you get a non widescreen monitor, you'll have 'black bars' on your screen more often, not less.
So, I wont get those black lines in LFS...does LFS support Widescreen, do most games support widescreen.

No, this isnt 20 questions.
Every game made in the past like 5 years supports widescreen, in LFS you can see all the widescreen ones (hell haven't you seen any of the "I have 3 screens" threads???) just make sure you dont have "show only 4:3" checked, because they are all there.
Here's an approximate comparison of a standard & widescreen monitor. You get black bars on either one really.

(EDIT: And LFS will give more height visibility on standard, or more width visibility on widescreen (cause more wide)). Go with your taste and deskspace )
Attached images
monitor_compare.jpg
Quote from The General Lee :So, I wont get those black lines in LFS...does LFS support Widescreen, do most games support widescreen.

Yes, most games do support widescreen. Here for more info on specific games. http://www.widescreengamingfor ... /wiki/index.php/Main_Page

PS. Overall I have heard bad things about 22" widescreen monitors. Better just get the 20" version (same resolution and usually better quality). Or if you have the money go for the 24".
Quote from geeman1 :PS. Overall I have heard bad things about 22" widescreen monitors. Better just get the 20" version (same resolution and usually better quality). Or if you have the money go for the 24".

definately ... afaik there isnt a single 22" va or ips panel on the market
#12 - Jakg
a 22" monitor is just a 20" monitor with bits on either side.

I was in the same position as you and VERY sceptical about widescreen, but the 22" Xerox widescreen sitting on my desk that cost me £187, and yet looks great, changed my mind
Quote from Jakg :a 22" monitor is just a 20" monitor with bits on either side.

I was in the same position as you and VERY sceptical about widescreen, but the 22" Xerox widescreen sitting on my desk that cost me £187, and yet looks great, changed my mind

not trying to make you like your monitor less but can you find an eye position (thats not 10 meters away) from which a unicoloured screen (preferably light grey) actually looks unicoloured ? from my expirience with tns they always look different at the top if the colours are correct at the bottom and vice versa
O/T:
Quote from Shotglass :
http://ded.zenblue.net/IMG_0658.jpg

Halo? Maybe you're not me afterall... Need a nice set of headphones, too. (unless that's what the amorphous black blob is on top of the monitor)

http://www.headphones.co.il/st ... ts/New/Grado_SR125_b1.jpg

On-Topic:

I have the same monitor as Shotglass pictured above and I love it. The screen is approximately the same size as a 22" LCD and it looks wonderful. Never any ghosting, and flickering is not a problem. 1920x1200 @ 85Hz is simply wonderful.

Just be aware that it weighs 100 lbs / 45 kg.
Quote from Forbin :O/T:

Halo? Maybe you're not me afterall... Need a nice set of headphones, too. (unless that's what the amorphous black blob is on top of the monitor)

not my room just the first pic i could find that gives an idea of the monitors 55cm depth

Quote :1920x1200 @ 85Hz is simply wonderful.

lfs runs fine up to 2304*1440 btw although i dont use it since i frankly dont see the difference and my desktop res is 1920 on a monitor that tbh takes ages to recalibrate to a different screen res
Quote from Jakg :a 22" monitor is just a 20" monitor with bits on either side.

Not really, they have totally different panels for example. Depends on the monitor, but in general I have got the impression that 22" versions of the same monitors are lesser quality than the 20" version. Manufacturers probably use cheaper panels on the 22 inchers.
Quote from Shotglass :not my room just the first pic i could find that gives an idea of the monitors 55cm depth

lfs runs fine up to 2304*1440 btw although i dont use it since i frankly dont see the difference and my desktop res is 1920 on a monitor that tbh takes ages to recalibrate to a different screen res

Ah, I see. I suppose the lack of a wheel should have tipped me off. I agree with regard to the max res, not a whole lot of difference between 1920x1200 and 2304x1440 in a game, especially with 4x AA.
Quote from Shotglass :not trying to make you like your monitor less but can you find an eye position (thats not 10 meters away) from which a unicoloured screen (preferably light grey) actually looks unicoloured ? from my expirience with tns they always look different at the top if the colours are correct at the bottom and vice versa

I just tried it with my cheap-ass Mirai 22" TN panel. There probably was some distortion at the top, but nothing that would bother me - I don't do any professional image editing anyway. In regular desktop use it definitely will not bother me, and the light bleeding at the top and bottom of the monitor... well, it would only matter in some movies and games, and that's when the action is in the center of the screen anyway. The light bleeding is certainly noticeable in dark conditions, but switching from a rather good 19" CRT it certainly doesn't bother me.
Quote from Batterypark :I just tried it with my cheap-ass Mirai 22" TN panel. There probably was some distortion at the top, but nothing that would bother me - I don't do any professional image editing anyway. In regular desktop use it definitely will not bother me

i suppose its down to what youre preferences are but with the cheapish samsung 19" tn i had here for a few days i had a different gray on the top of my mirc window and at the bottom of my taskbar all the time which i found incredibly annoying ... additionally i move a lot on my chair when im on the pc so any monitor for me has to have at least 30° of unnoticeable colour and constrast change which you wont find on any tn for sure
also one thing tns do a lot is that weird shine in dark movie scenes ... although i dont know if its any better with ips or va ones
#20 - Jakg
Quote from Shotglass :not trying to make you like your monitor less but can you find an eye position (thats not 10 meters away) from which a unicoloured screen (preferably light grey) actually looks unicoloured ? from my expirience with tns they always look different at the top if the colours are correct at the bottom and vice versa

i understand - i've never seen a "top quality" monitor, but this thing beats anything i've ever used before
Quote from geeman1 :Not really, they have totally different panels for example. Depends on the monitor, but in general I have got the impression that 22" versions of the same monitors are lesser quality than the 20" version. Manufacturers probably use cheaper panels on the 22 inchers.

i meant size-wise
I've got 22" 4:3 monitors coming out of my ears. CRTs forever!
Some facts: (and a few opinions)

Most games these days are widescreen compatible, a few require addition command lin parameters or other tweeks to get the to run in widescreen (BF2/2142 anyone?).

With a widescreen monitor you will see smaller black bars whilst watching a movie compared to a regular 4:3/5:4 monitor. The size of the bars depends on the aspect ratio of the recording.

Some tv programs, most noticably American shows, are still recorded/shown in 4:3, so if you use you PC monitor for watching tv, you will get veritcal black lines on either side with a widescreen monitor.

Most 22" LCDs us TN panels, more about these can be read here. These are essentially the cheapest and lowest quality type of panel.

My 20" Acer 2051W uses a PVA panel, with full 8bit colour support and a glossy coating. (And heres my opinion), it is one of the nicest LCDs I have ever seen, hence the reason I bought it. However at £350 new a few months ago, it was considerably more than a 22" panel.

In conclusion, widescreen is seen as the way to go these days You wont have any compatibilty issues, and personally I find them nicer to use than a large 4:3 ratio monitor
Quote from pb32000 :Some facts: (and a few opinions)

Most games these days are widescreen compatible, a few require addition command lin parameters or other tweeks to get the to run in widescreen (BF2/2142 anyone?).

C:\Program Files\EA Games\Battlefield 2\BF2.exe" +menu 1 +widescreen 1 +szx 1920 +szy 1200

Btw the latest Samsunbg 226BW and LG 226WT are one of the best 22"LCD moniotrs even they use TNT matrix.TNT technology is moving quickly forward so I would not claiming something like TNT is shi* dont buy it.

If you want LCD for some semi/professional photo editing then its only way to go with S-IPS panels.The PVA panels has on the othewr way a disadvanatges showing a lot of noise in videos.TNT doesnt produce something like that nor S-IPS.There is every drawback in each of the LCD technology nowdays.TNT panels for example have advantages in response time.
What's out or that TNT is gonna blow!

Seriously though: You are right, TN-panels aren't as bad as people on the Internet make it seem. Sure they have few drawbacks, but the lower price makes up for it and you can most certainly live with one.
Quote from The General Lee :Can you get a half decent 22" monitor that isnt widescreen.

I dont want black bars on the screem for obvious reason, or is it not all that bad??

Cheers

I have 2 22" monitors. I bought them both from ebay for £20 each at different times. Both still awesome. One is a mitsubishi Diamond Plus and the other a iiyama 22".

Look there. no widescreen!

22" Non-Widescreen?
(41 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG