The online racing simulator

Poll : Do you agree to this thread?

No
Unsure
Yes
£1 For 1000 Skin Downloads Suggestion
Hi,

I was just looking at the Test Patch W25 thread and it was saying about the improved £1 For 1000 Downloads High Res Skins. Well it got me thinking because there are many skins on LFS which arnt really worth downloading, For instance a 5 Min job with a couple of logos and a solid colour background. So i thought of how about Uploading your high res skin for like 25p and then keeping the downloading £1 for 1000 skins? I would of thought that this would help the bandwith of memory it takes for the high-res skins. And not wasting are HDD aswell as are downloading Allowence and 1000 Skins for £1?

What do you think?

Matt
You are suggesting to make the price the double AND charging for uploading too?
Nono, thats just a random figure. Something which would work out at the same price, so this would able you to have High res quality skins instead of High res few min skins which was a waste of time. Its confusing but if you think about it you get there. Sorry for lack of explination

Matt

Edit: So you can only download High res Skins would be a much simpilar way
LFS is planning to charge £1 for 2000 skins, btw.
I voted no. I kind of see your point about having to pay for crappy skins suck. But I am sure that people who pay for high res skins understand and accept that. The price per skin isn't very high either.
That's just one of these things. As has been mentioned the cost per skin isn't high at all.

To the people who are concerned with downloading a skin that they don't feel was worth their money, pick a few pennies up off the pavement... I'm sure you'll soon recover your `loses`.
Ok,

I must of miss read the 1000 skins, but it was just a idea which i thought was worth mentioning

Matt

Keiren : Im also talking about HDD aswell as storage of LFS. I know you could pick a few pennies up but for an esitmated 10000 s2 holders?
£0.0005/High res skin

What is so bad about that?
Polls rule.
yeah, I like polls too!
You'd need people deciding whether a skin is high quality, which isn't quite the solution the devs were after I think.
Quote from dmwright :Ok,

I must of miss read the 1000 skins, but it was just a idea which i thought was worth mentioning

Matt

Keiren : Im also talking about HDD aswell as storage of LFS.

How much HDD space are you going to save?

my 1024 skin - 172kb
512 version - 110kb

62kb saving...

If your that tight on HDD space then I'd consider turning downloading skins off.

Quote :I know you could pick a few pennies up but for an esitmated 10000 s2 holders?

eh? Struggling to understand. If your suggesting I pick up pennies for the whole community I think you missed my point... So I've explained it below:

If somone is that tight that they want a complicated system so they don't download the odd skin that they feel "isn't worth the money" over 0.0005p then they may as well be picking pennies up off the pavement... Hell even 1p will keep you going a few months so you don't have to feel you've lost anything.
OP: I understand what you are saying, but... no thanks!
Or just have the ability for everyone to host their own hi-res skins remotely and have a path in their LFSW account, so if people have a 'download hi-res option' checked, it connects each LFSW account and downloads where needed. Or perhaps try and implement something to allow LFS to download directly through players on a server?
Quote from LFSn00b :How about this...

The hi-res uploaded skins would take 2 placs in the uploading thing and the low-res ones only 1.

Pointless idea unless the number of skin slots available was increased as someone wanting all high res skins would either have to have one skin missing or have 2 lower res skins.(19 cars but only 36 skin slots)
I wont be downloading the higher res skins at the minute as i have no need until i get a new pc, which is already beenput of for over a year lol. When i do get a new pc i will get the high res skins and yes it would be nice to be able to not see the worse skins in high res but for the price of the skins it isn't worth implementing a way to sort skins out IMO.
Quote from keiran :That's just one of these things. As has been mentioned the cost per skin isn't high at all.

To the people who are concerned with downloading a skin that they don't feel was worth their money, pick a few pennies up off the pavement... I'm sure you'll soon recover your `loses`.

Exactly. I've downloaded about 2000 skins in the time I've been playing LFS right now, and I have quite a bit of racing done by now - although it's not even close to the big guys of course ;p

One pound is pretty much what I spend on coffee every day at college, or a pack of cookies or whatever.

It's a (cheap) service, which is in support of the LFS community. Heck, I'd throw 5 pounds at it if it would help with the running costs of LFS!

I've gotten more fun out of this game than any other online game I've bought (which does not have a monthly fee) - by far.
I voted no, just because I don't think that would solve the problem from people uploading bad quality skins, and would keep people that make nice skins and cannot pay to upoad it...

I agree with the download fee for the High-res skins -> If your pc can handle it, and you can afford it, go for it! But I have to disagree with an uploading fee.

And come on, stop with this "would you pay for this... would you pay for that..." threads already!
Implementing pay for content would kill the game as we know it and how we like it...
I think charging to upload skins would just end up turning people off uploading their skins defeating the whole purpose of the original skin download feature. There really is nothing wrong with the new system, no need to invent new ones.
no charge for any downloads cause only the dev's are allowed make money because this is there product
A big -1 to the OP.

It'd be nice if you could choose which skins to download in hi-res, but that'd be a slow and clunky process. I think the current method is cheap enough that it doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Like I said before, this utility is more geared toward events and broadcasting than just the average person playing on their own PC, although it's cheap enough that anyone can use it.
besides being a bad idea, it's also not well thought through. But the results basically speak for itself.
Quote from wheel4hummer :£0.0005/High res skin

What is so bad about that?

Well for starters. Its bad that I have to use my credit card on the internet once more for such a stupid thing. Well I would not even if it means everyone driving around yellow, pink....

as for the part of downloading only top high res skills. This could be fixed with user votings for skins and then its set to download only skins which scored 8+ or so.
Quote from Sawyer :Well for starters. Its bad that I have to use my credit card on the internet once more for such a stupid thing. Well I would not even if it means everyone driving around yellow, pink....

Normal resolution skins downloads are still free, higher resolution ones are 0.05p per skin.
Also on a side note. I always wondered why they never made it possible to upload your so called high res skins to your own ISPs web space. I mean surely there is no ISP provider nowdays that doesnt offer at last 10Mb free web space and an option to use your own upload for that would also be great to. After all its broddband age.
Quote from Sawyer :Also on a side note. I always wondered why they never made it possible to upload your so called high res skins to your own ISPs web space. I mean surely there is no ISP provider nowdays that doesnt offer at last 10Mb free web space and an option to use your own upload for that would also be great to. After all its broddband age.

It isn't a good idea. Search the forums if you want more detailed reasons.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG