The online racing simulator

Poll : Are you using the hi-res skin downloads?

No
I won't pay for hi res skins
I will when official patch X comes out
Yes
It's too expensive
Yes I am
I can't find an option in LFSWorld to get the H-Res. skins
LFScredit! And switching on 1024 skins in options LFS should do the trick.
The option is in the game itself
Quote from LFSn00b :in my opinion, the hi-res skin payment is a bit useless... You can ask people for a hires version of the skin and save it to your skins_x.

Yeah but why waste your time when you can pay a tiny fee of £1?

I dont see what all the hassle is with paying £1, its hardly a large amount of money; fair enough you've already payed for the game once, but surely its logical to pay £1 and have the game improved?

After all, it benefits you with high res skins.
Quote from CaptainLimbs :Yeah but why waste your time when you can pay a tiny fee of £1?

I dont see what all the hassle is with paying £1, its hardly a large amount of money

The minimum payment is £ 3 I think, and this remains credit until the 1st £1 is taken for skins

LFS with Hi res is awsome makes such a difference to me.

SD.
I wanna see
-
(Tigershark) DELETED by Tigershark
Quote from Tigershark :I'm considering it, the thing that keeps me from doing it is that I can't control which skins are downloaded.

Teamskins would be great, but when someone makes a completely ugly skin and uploads it as a 1024x1024 I wouldn't want to waste my credit on it.

I don't know how it is possible to waste money there. You charge you account with £3 thats like 4,41€. for 9.000 skins. That makes it 0,00049€ per skin. This means you pay 1cent for 20 skins
Who the heck cares. You are that miserly
As I voted, I would get this server until Patch X comes out, and now ordered it for use online. I was really waiting for a new PC actually, one that is fully capable of a full grid of high quality cars and textures .

It is really worth a buy if you have a good system... because now I don't need to worry about FPS with high-res skins

Though, the DDS compression is really crap to be honest, I wish it was as crisp as a decent quality JPG. Beats me why the compression is so high.
I've paid. I run LFS in 1680x1050, and when I'm following someone closely or spectating you can definitely see the 512x512 textures blurring. The 1024x1024 textures look so much better.

I wouldn't have seen any point in paying if I was running in 800x600. I doubt you'd even notice the extra texture resolution running low screen resolutions.
Since calling hi-res skins 1024x1024 ones is ludicrous I've no need to pay.
(Com'on, 1024 skins are like from the time of Nascar 2003...).

If they would offer *real* hi-res skins like 2048 or BETTER ones, then I would *consider* it.

As it is it's no worthy.
allready discussed to death this ppl. 2 considerations:

Not leaving behind lowend pcs (accessibility of lfs)
Bandwith of the lfs own and unique distribution system

Can already imagine the comments about the pits in/out stutter with 2048 skins. You ppl seem to fail to see that NONE of those other titles use an online share system of skins.
someone wanna add some credit into my account so I can take advantage of this? lol I'll get ya back when I get some banking online again.
Your skin looked sexeh in high-res last night steve
I don't race too much on public servers so there is no reason for highres skin download either, also I think that I would not see difference, maybe in screenshots, but when racing I don't pay attention to small details anyway, main colour of car and which car it is, not much else as I concentrate on braking points, lines, etc.
It's not about having the skins look nice while you are driving.... of course you aren't going to be looking at them instead of racing :doh: Like you said, I just note the color of the car, so I know who is who. That said though, arguing that the high res downloads is worthless because you aren't looking at them while racing, that should pretty much be 'nulled'. Whoever does that would be a terrible driver . It has other purposes that fit the needs for people that want detail in screenshots, movies, and overall clarity of the game. Otherwise you have a very inconsistent looking game where you have somewhat detailed textures all around, but then crappy 512 skins to boot. Upping the res on the skins does make it feel proper, and isn't a "rip off". It is rather handy to have high-res skins on your side.

I found that the quality of skins overall was a lot crisper if you have everything maxed out in LFS and in gpu/res settings. The skins just add to how clean everything else can look, and yes is nice to be able to take screenshots for later. I'd actually see a big advantage for movie makers because this enables them to make a movie without the hassle of collecting any 1024 skins, which is quite convenient. Only until you look REALLY REALLY close to the skin will you see compression artifacts from the dds files, but it isn't a problem when looking from at least a car's length away.

As with my old system, things looked blurry, even with 1024 skins. It is really only worth it if you have a nice system that will handle all the skins on the grid, as well as not mess up your viewing quality with mipbias and such for various distances.

I do realize though that purchasing this feature is really if you want to throw out some spare cash for an extra feature. It isn't absolutely necessary that you have it, but nice to know it is available after you've bought it.
Quote from Tweaker :
I do realize though that purchasing this feature is really if you want to throw out some spare cash for an extra feature. It isn't absolutely necessary that you have it, but nice to know it is available after you've bought it.

Yes, precisely, it is also very good for those who make screenshots from public server races etc.

My racing however is not at public servers, not too much at least and I get nice big skins from our own skinpack, so there is really nothing I would gain from service at the moment.

However it is great to be there as sometime I might need it, but that is perhaps even long at the future.
ok i didnt even know this existed, so i voted no, but now i want to try it. i just want to know, do i need to delete the old 512x512 skins? which folder
It stores the hires skins in a seperate folder so you don't need to delete anything.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG