The online racing simulator
16:9 aspect ratio?
(46 posts, started )
#26 - J.B.
Quote from Jimmy Pursey :...since there are no 8:3 or even 32:9 resolutions in LFS...

Maybe you could force such resolutions by editing lfs.cfg?
Quote from steve :I do understand what im doing, what I was trying to get across is that the res is not true widescreen, just a clipped screen. If it was true widescreen, I should have a wider field of view, with more FOV I just get a stretced out longer view.

u obviously dont understand what you are doing. shame you cant even read what people bother to explain and try to help you.
JB, can you explain that equation in my language please? That would be the language of moron Thanks.
Quote from KiDCoDEa :u obviously dont understand what you are doing. shame you cant even read what people bother to explain and try to help you.

so it starts again..
No, it's not the language or moron - it's the language of the educated
Whatever language it's in, can you please simplify it so that this uneducated moron can make use of it?
FOV_WIDE = 2·ATAN ((16/9)/(4/3)·TAN(FOV_NARROW/2))

Right, here goes...

The FOV required on a 16:9 screen is given by:

1. Take the FOV you use in 4:3 and divide this number by 2 (e.g. 90/2), and take the tangent of it (tan(45)=1 in my example)
2. Divide 16/9 by 4/3 = 1.333333, and take the atan (inverse tan) of this = 53.13010235
3. Multiply 1. and 2. together, then double it.

So, what FOV do you need in 16:9 format if you use 75 degree in 4:3?

75/2 = 37.5
tan(37.5) = 0.767326988
0.767... x 53.13010235 = 40.76816141
40.768... x 2 = 81.53632281

So 75 degrees at 4:3 equals 81.536 degrees at 16:9

Easy huh. You are now fluent in maths geek (albeit basic maths geek).
#33 - J.B.
Almost, but a small error.

Quote :1. Take the FOV you use in 4:3 and divide this number by 2 (e.g. 90/2), and take the tangent of it (tan(45)=1 in my example)
2. Divide 16/9 by 4/3 = 1.333333, and take the atan (inverse tan) of this = 53.13010235
3. Multiply 1. and 2. together, then double it.

The multiplication comes before the ATAN. That would mean 75° --> 91.0843°.

You can use the following in Excel:

=(2*180)/PI()*ARCTAN((16/9)/(4/3)*TAN((A1*PI())/(180*2)))

Then enter your 4:3 FOV in the A1 cell.

EDIT: steve, do you understand it now?
Quote from J.B. :
EDIT: steve, do you understand it now?

we can only hope.
Okay, I nearly understood tristan's explanation, but JB came along and scrambled it all up again for me.

I don't wish to be a bore, but JB, could you re-do the example tristan gave, but done correctly please?

Also, how do I find the Tan or Atan of a number?

I do have an O'level in maths, really . .

#36 - J.B.
Quote from dontsimon :Okay, I nearly understood tristan's explanation, but JB came along and scrambled it all up again for me.

Sorry, I should have cleared it up instead of causing more confusion.

First of all here is the easiest way to get a result. Paste this

(atan(tan((FOV * PI) / (180 * 2)) * ((16 / 9) / (4 / 3))) * 2 * 180) / PI

into a normal Google search field, change the "FOV" to the 4:3 FOV you are using, press Enter and Google will tell you the FOV you need for 16:9. Really.

In case you want to do the calculations yourself here is a guide in tristancliffe-speak:

The FOV required on a 16:9 screen is given by:

1.) Take the FOV you use in 4:3 and divide this number by 2 (e.g. 90/2), and take the tangent of it. (=1 in my example)
2.) Divide 16/9 by 4/3 and then multiply with 1.) (= 1.333333)
3.) Take the atan (inverse tan) of 2.) and double it. (= 106.260205)

Quote from dontsimon :Also, how do I find the Tan or Atan of a number?

Look for the TAN button on a calculator and make sure the calculator is set to DEG and not RAD. ATAN is usually the same button together with a Shift-type of button.

I hope that clears it up for you. If not, keep asking, we'll get there.
Thanks. That Google trick is like some kind of spooky magic
Yep yep, thinking more about it last night I realised I was wrong and it's just a matter of adjusting the fov correctly. Got mixed up with the differences between tvs and monitors :doh:

Maybe something to aid people upgrading to a widescreen monitor, when you choose a non-square resolution the FOV setting in LFS could have an extra bracketed value to represent the equivalent 4:3 FOV. Would save the non maths people doing these calcs.
Then again probably not worth the time.
Quote from tailing :Maybe something to aid people upgrading to a widescreen monitor, when you choose a non-square resolution the FOV setting in LFS could have an extra bracketed value to represent the equivalent 4:3 FOV. Would save the non maths people doing these calcs.

thats a nice small suggestion.
Arse - all I missed was the location of one double bracket. Maths is SO much harder in this font than if I'd written it on paper, or using MS Equation Editor etc.

I've just spent 10 minutes trying to work out what my error was, and it was teeny and sooooo simple. Grrrr.
#41 - J.B.
Quote from dontsimon :That Google trick is like some kind of spooky magic

Yeah, I like it too. Puts Google another step closer to ruling the world. I use google for quick calculations more than my real calculator.

Quote from tailing :Maybe something to aid people upgrading to a widescreen monitor, when you choose a non-square resolution the FOV setting in LFS could have an extra bracketed value to represent the equivalent 4:3 FOV. Would save the non maths people doing these calcs.
Then again probably not worth the time.

That would make sense but, as you said, it's probably not worth it. I did the calcs just for fun, I don't think people will really go through the hassle. It should be enough to just play with the FOV until you like it.

Quote from tristancliffe :Maths is SO much harder in this font than if I'd written it on paper, or using MS Equation Editor etc.

Yeah, looks really ugly too. But MS-Equation editor can be quite a pain too. You should have a look at MATHCAD. BTW I've seen equation formatting in forums but don't ask me where or how.

PS: I've magically become S2 Liscenced, Yipee! Thx Victor, I guess.
BTW, you can set FOV to 100ths (ie 80.21) by inputting the figure in the cfg.txt. If you need to be that precise.

Because I'm bored I might sit and work them all out with spooky google maths magic. I've done 40 to 90 already . . . yawn . . .
Quote from tristancliffe :Arse - all I missed was the location of one double bracket. Maths is SO much harder in this font than if I'd written it on paper, or using MS Equation Editor etc.

I've just spent 10 minutes trying to work out what my error was, and it was teeny and sooooo simple. Grrrr.

allright ... the equation for all those whose brain is absolutely unable to learn how to read lisp/scheme code

http://fed.matheplanet.com/mpr ... id=1358238&mixmod=mix

What function is a dot?
Quote from dontsimon :What function is a dot?

multiplication
what about multiple monitors?
hey yall

just to let you know that when i tested triple TFT monitors for LFS a few days ago ive noticed that LFS supports those resolutions as well for 3 17 inch monitors. the resolution your gonna be looking at is a massive 3840 x 1024 i was using a Geforce 6600 using dvi with a vga adapter, vga, and s-video to vga. and three samgsung 712n's

this setup is great for seeing more of the left and right side of your cars... although you will get a massive FPS hit, with one monitor i can get around 150+ with three expect it to drop to 60 - 75 fps, depending on your setup

try it out .. its kinda cool

16:9 aspect ratio?
(46 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG