The online racing simulator
Keyboard + Fun = impossible?
(44 posts, started )
Hey,

i´ve downloaded the Demo 2 weeks ago and i really enjoy driving, but since i am pretty annoyed by the behavior of most of the demo drivers, i thought buying the S1 license would solve this problem

But: I play with keyboard.
I gave my thrustmaster playstation-wheel a try, but somehow I just couldnt get used to the steering, i always turned and i wasnt able to drive a smooth line. I guess i´ll stay with keyboard...
I cant afford buying a better wheel anyway.

Can i drive the S1 cars with Keyboard? Will it be as fun as the Demo?
I´m afraid i could a) be the worst driver on every S1 server because of my keyboard and b) therefore dont have any fun

By the way: are there as much S1 servers as Demo servers? And also a lot of people on them?

So... will the S1 license pay off for me? Just write, what comes to your mind

Excuse my language, i´m from Germany..
I am a keyboarder and yes you can drive most S1 cars with it.

S1 servers = 1, maybe 2 when there's a lot of population....
There isn't much activity in the S1. Everyone is at S2 or at the demo. There is only one active S1 server around at the time. There maybe more after patch X comes out, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Anyway I would suggest going straigth to S2.
About keyboard, you can have fun with it too, but using a wheel is much better. Even a cheap wheel is better than kyeboard.
#4 - ctkza
I'm a keyboard racer for the time being, I also bought the S2 license and you can race with a keyboard, it can just get frustrating sometimes because it's very difficult to get the times that people with wheels can, but that's a given I guess.

Get an S2 license!
#5 - ctkza
Quote from Mike85 :Gather enough money for a wheel and S2. A solid wheel should be 100 Euro (Driving force pro), and the S2 license is 36 Euro. Thats 136.

You need a GOOD wheel and S2. Thats when the fun starts. You can also run S2 with mouse. You can buy S2 for a start. Then gather money for a wheel. Pass some exams at school(if your in school)

What he says!
Hm, the Driving Force Pro is sold for ~55 Euro on german onlineshops.
I guess with Force Feedback, i won´t have the steering-problems that i used to have with my old non-ff steeringwheel, right? (I always steerd too hard and nervous)

Well.. i could afford buying the wheel and S2, but i have 2 other hobbies that are soaking up my money, so i want to be sure, that the license will be worth its money.

Don´t get me wrong, i dont care about times and hotlapping, i just want do to some close and nice racing on public S2 servers, if thats possible with keyboard i´ll be happy
Use your mouse
With keyboard you never can drive a smooth line in a curve, its still impossible, you just can drive smooth at a straight line.

therefore is it better you buy a better wheel with a higher axes-resolution or you use just your mouse.

the Mouse-Axes can also chosen in a wheel setup, go there in Axes/FF to chose Mouse X for steering and Mouse Y for throttle and brake.

Driving with mouse is difficult to learn, but somebody drive world records with it.
Quote from Mr.Muh :...

Yes, a DFP would be a good choice, and at least to me FF is essential - I couldn't drive without it. However, spending so much money at once on a game you might or might not like could be a bit overkill, so I'd just try getting S2 at first. S1 alone really doesn't make any sense, as you'll very likely only be able to play it offline, which isn't exactly the point of an online racing simulator

From my point of view, S2 + a DFP would be totally worth it, but in the end it's your choice. I'd not get just S1, however.
Ask KingNothing some keyboard advice. He is keyboard freak

Fujiwara can help you to, but only in uf1
My problem with my non-FF wheel or mouse steering is, that I always steer to hard and act to nervous, because i dont get any feedback about the tires/grip/whatever...

This is the benefit of Force Feedback, right?

I guess i´ll get a DFP and see, how I get along with the steering, then I decide about buying S2..

Throttle and steering with one mouse? You must be crazy
Quote from Mr.Muh :Throttle and steering with one mouse? You must be crazy

Its possible, u need to setup the mouse slower, and u need a optical usb-mouse for best results.

if you use the mouse axes in wheel setup u need set the wheel turn compensation to 1 and by Formula-Cars 150° wheel turn and other cars 300° wheel turn.
by a mouse-setup in Keybard/Mouse you must set a high centre reduction for better results.

I have mouse acceleration on, but maybe its better to turn it off.
#12 - robt
as I've mentioned in another thread in these last 12 hours, i don't find it to much of a problem to drive with keyboard, i can get middle pack in any car (minus the FWD GTR "cars") or in the top 5, and thats with the keyboard, i do have a DFP (although the pedals need throwing out and a new pair being acquired) but i find im only faster in the FOX, FO8 and BF1 with it. and thats after 2 or 3 months :s so it just takes practice with the keyboard as it does with any controller.
I do really well on keyboard. Considering I am a demo user.
I use a mouse which seems to work fine. I just use the mouse for side-to-side steering though. And the Keyboard for accel. and deccel. I just set my mouse to 2000dpi and it works fine, but it did take time to get used to. And I am in the exact same position as you are. I would like S2, and a wheel. But money always seems to be the obstacle!
Good luck to you anyway!
Quote from Mr.Muh :My problem with my non-FF wheel or mouse steering is, that I always steer to hard and act to nervous, because i dont get any feedback about the tires/grip/whatever...

This is the benefit of Force Feedback, right?

I guess i´ll get a DFP and see, how I get along with the steering, then I decide about buying S2..

Throttle and steering with one mouse? You must be crazy

It takes practice, if you are aware you steer too hard or as I interpret it, over react and overcorrect maybe, then you already have an answer to your problem.

First take it easy, do not try to be a perfect racer in a few short days, gradually practice offline to gain the familiarity with the wheel then increase your speed and reactions to suit.

We use wheels in real life to steer cars not keyboards so don't accept a kbd solution in the simulation, if you have a wheel that works!

Just allow time to get used to it. I used a mouse for ages before I got a wheel and it took me weeks of solid practice before I found the right settings to suit my style and stuff in LFS setup areas etc these settings do play a big part in your wheels response, turning circle etc so take time to ask others for good settings to suit that type of wheel etc

We are a community and will be happy to help with tips and advise

Cheers ShannonN
s2 man its worth the money if you can trust us
I've always played racing sims with the keyboard, until I recently found LFS! I paid £20 for a Saitek R220 wheel about a year ago but have never used it. I plugged it in the other day and did my best to get to grips! I really struggled to be honest, but what I found was reducing the WHEEL TURN setting in controls to 90 degrees made the world of difference!
Also, having analouge throttle and brake pedals makes a HUGE difference on car control, if you say you already have this wheel, I'd give it another try but play about with the settings a bit!
Quote from ShannonN :It takes practice, if you are aware you steer too hard or as I interpret it, over react and overcorrect maybe, then you already have an answer to your problem.

Indeed, thats what I tried to explain

I have this thrustmaster 360 modena wheel, a couple of years old and the resistance while steering is done by a thing that looks like a bungee-rope, which doesn´t keep me from steering way too hard in the corner-entry and everywhere else..
If i would set the DFP´s Force Feedback effects to the maximum, i really can´t steer to hard, did I get this right?

I´ve also tried mouse.. my "problem" got even worse..

I guess i´ll have to find out myself, thanks a lot for your great help
well i myself was a keyboard user to and was unable to conrtol the RWD cars but i think that was just me...but then i move onto a mouse and i have improved! so i suggest that but i see you post
Quote :I´ve also tried mouse.. my "problem" got even worse..

hmm a bit weird but hey lol !

oh and i you are thinking of buying S1 erm...i would say either save up for S2 or stay on demo! just my opininon!
Quote from tiagolapa :Ask KingNothing some keyboard advice. He is keyboard freak

Fujiwara can help you to, but only in uf1

you son of $#%#$"#$...

don't ask KingNothing...he's gifted.
keyboard will drive you crazy, play while you can, but gather some money to get a wheel.
Yep i already decided to get a Dfp and the S2 licence, atm i´m searching for a shop near me, that can hold up to the online price of 47,50 Euro for a Dfp
This may sound a bit harsh, but i really hope there will be a time that Keyboard/Mouse combo's are not allowed anymore. The most disadvantage of keyboard users is that the abrubt steering input (left/centre/right and nothing between) of digital buttons are not very well handled by the network code. U see those players shaking left/right because of repeatingly pressing buttons to correct the car on a straight line. They probably don't know this themselves but i can get so angry at seeing this i almost reach for my shotgun, not even to speak of moments where there is little lag going on. Those players are making it very unpleasant for others who DID spent their money and really go for the way it should be played. As for the record, i never had any money and even i could afford my Logitech Formula Force 7 years ago because i did some work on holidays. It's all about priorities, do u like to go out every day and spend all your money on drinks and chicks... do that. But when someone does not really feel the need to pay for a wheel, i would say he's not really interested in playing such a game at full potential and thus is not worth playing a SIM of this kind. Play Need for Speed or stick with the S2 Demo.

For mouse players, well a bit less annoying but still not fun at all, a real race enthousiast needs a wheel, otherwise u're just a pc geek who adores his beloved mouse far too much. And again, it's not about the money but about priorities.

Please let them make S3 a full wheel-only game, make it even so that servers can force the use of H-shifters and Clutch pedals because it's a shame to use them nowadays if the rest of the field uses flappy paddles with no clutch pedal. It would be amazing to drive with 30 drivers on a track who all use their clutch and H-shifters. At the moment the use of clutch and shifter is just for fun, u can't compete with the rest as they use a much easier method. These options should be included in the future without questioning imho.
I disagree.
Quote from geeman1 :I disagree.

omg, at least say why and on which points u disagree. Now we can't have a decent conversation.
Quote from BruTaLysT :omg, at least say why and on which points u disagree. Now we can't have a decent conversation.

This type of conversation is not new.

(44 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG