The online racing simulator

Poll : Are you using the hi-res skin downloads?

No
I won't pay for hi res skins
I will when official patch X comes out
Yes
It's too expensive
#26 - Davo
Quote from Batterypark :What's the difference between "I won't pay for hi res skins" and "No"?

Should've added, "because they should be free" to the end of that. No is just for people that aren't interested.
I'm not using them ATM cause My Low/Mid range PC wont handle them too well. But when I pay some bucks and upgrade my graphics card I will be happy to pay for the extra few dollars for higher-res skins. It's only covering the devs' server/bandwidth costs. They offered 512 skins for free. They already offer LFSW for free, hotlapping, forums, etc etc. All free. Free unlimited connection to servers.
i paid, then totally forgot about changing the res options under Misc

Joined a game and thought... 1024 res skins arent that bad. Found my mistake & changed it. Connected again. WOW such a difference for bugger all cash.
#29 - DeKo
I plan to, just havent got around to it yet.
#30 - DeKo
Quote from LFSn00b :in my opinion, the hi-res skin payment is a bit useless... You can ask people for a hires version of the skin and save it to your skins_x.

yeah but it would get a bit tedious asking 32 people for their hi-res skins.
Probably not, seems pointless to pay for something I can do quite well enough on my own
#32 - Jakg
i am paying - the lowest res thing on my PC was the skins, and i think £3 is a bargain - it looks so clean and crisp now

I have every hi-res skin posted on the forum since Sept 2005 in my skins_x, but not everyone made their own skin or posted it on the forum - so i'm more than happy to pay, plus with my 8800 skins in skin_x i still only ever have about 2 on my PC and have to download 24 skins when i join a full server.
#33 - JJ72
I won't, cause if I see skin truely good I would really approach the guy who owns it.

it is not about paying for skins in my opinion, you are just paying for a convinient way to download quality skins (which if you take account of the server cost, it is extremely reasonable)
I'm paying. £1 is nothing. Its just a symbolic amount of money imo.
I payed WAY TOO MUCH for a buggy alpha version. That was 2 years ago. Only patches on that alpha. It´s a shame that this will not lead to a final version. I like lfs because of my fragmaster buddies. The game itself is middleage style in 2007, grappy graphics, sounds and stuff.

A few months ago I was very angry about the devs. Postings like "I buy a house with the money you gave me and now I must take a break from finsihing the game" really sucks imho.

I will NOT pay anything more in lfs. I don´t believe that this game will lead to a final version or even a beta. Thats ridiculous, but its just my opinion.
#36 - axus
I would (mostly to support the devs - not that I'm that concerned about the look of the cars I'm racing because my PC isn't that great to begin with) but bandwidth restrictions and a weak PC are stopping me. That said, I think it's a great feature, thumbs up to the devs for implementing it.
#37 - Jakg
imo LFS is more complete than any other "final" game, its just Scawen wants to follow HIS definitions of software stages.

the money for the skins is NOT screwing you out of more money, imo the 4x more bandwidth required for these skins is actally probably about whats its costing us
#38 - JJ72
Quote from Crazy Harry :I payed WAY TOO MUCH for a buggy alpha version. That was 2 years ago. Only patches on that alpha. It´s a shame that this will not lead to a final version. I like lfs because of my fragmaster buddies. The game itself is middleage style in 2007, grappy graphics, sounds and stuff.

A few months ago I was very angry about the devs. Postings like "I buy a house with the money you gave me and now I must take a break from finsihing the game" really sucks imho.

I will NOT pay anything more in lfs. I don´t believe that this game will lead to a final version or even a beta. Thats ridiculous, but its just my opinion.

Maybe you are posting from a parallel universe.

S2 final will happen for no doubt.
#39 - Jakg
#40 - JJ72
I think you can do it on your own actually.

just compress a 1024 skin so that it's smaller than 400kb, turn off skin compression in game and it should be what you will get.
Quote from Davo :Should've added, "because they should be free" to the end of that. No is just for people that aren't interested.

Damnit, my vote is wrong then
Quote from Crazy Harry :Thats ridiculous, but its just my opinion.

I agree, your opinion is ridiculous ()

But seriously, you've already said it yourself - you bought LFS two years ago and paid 36€ for it, and you're still playing it. That's 0,049€ per day. Usually a full game costs 40-50€, and is probably never looked at again after one month or the first playthrough. Or with online games, which might last a bit longer, you wait and buy an expansion pack every few months, till the next full version comes out for another 45€. Yes, LFS progress is rather slow, but the amount of money you spent on it is laughable if you consider how long it kept you entertained now - at least that's the case for me. It's easy to spend the same amount of money for one night out drinking, and instead of the fun lasting for years, it's just a few hours and to top it off you have a hangover after it too.
Paid my money and now the skins look fantastic! all we need is the official patch releasing
Quote from Jakg :imo the 4x more bandwidth required for these skins is actally probably about whats its costing us

I think Scawen said there's a little bit of profit margin in there, but it doesn't strike me as rampant profiteering. Rampant profiteering would be the EA business model of releasing almost the same game each year with a few graphics updates, half a dozen bug fixes, a dozen new bugs, and charging you £30 for the privilege.

I'll gladly pay a few quid for the better quality skins. If it turns out my gfx card can't cope with a field full of 1024 skins, I'll just turn it off again until I upgrade my gfx card. The only reason I'm not using the feature yet is that I'm waiting for it to be in the final patch X - I haven't got enough spare time at the moment to be trying test patches.
Quote from AndroidXP :...lots of blah.... That's 0,049€ per day. ...lots of blah

:bowdown:

I got my Atari 2600 with Pole Position (still use it sometimes) in 1982. I payed 100 DM for the game. Hey! Thats only € 0,005479... So that game MUST be much better/cheaper then lfs or that? :banana:
Quote from Quint999 :I'd like to see some proper side by side comparisons before deciding, if there is a reasonable difference between standard uploaded skins from 512 to 1024 then i'll be happy to pay, but i'd hope the Devs would provide some actual shots if theyd like me to pay for it. I dont think thats asking too much.

I'd like them to be the exact same screenshot of ingame action from a few different angles, close up, distance , in car etc and not fannyed about with in anyway, just a pure side by side comparison of a standard 1024 and a compressed 512.

I couldnt find a direct comparison in the patch threads, just lots of separate shots from different angles which doesnt really sway me one way or the other.

http://www.home.karneval.cz/0222338601/test/

is this enough?If not let me know and I will do some more shoots for you
512x512 is good enough for me.
Quote from sil3ntwar :i wont pay simply because hi res skins dont interest me. It is a nice feature though.

agreed, its fine the way it is IMO!!

its all about the racing, not taking screenshots!!
Quote from theirishnoob :pay for skins ?? haha no chance !

to be fair, you have not even paid for S2 so paying for skins was never going to happen was it
#49 - joen
Quote from Crazy Harry :

Yeah, who do the devs think they are? Having a life and all that.
They're robbing you from your money man, they don't actually work on LFS, they just charge an enormous amount of money and spend their time drinking an having parties with YOUR money! And they all drive Jag's! Using the money you make with your job to buy a house, man that's ridiculous!

Quote :

You drive around in circles too much. That's just my opinion.

*prepares*
#50 - axus
Quote from Quint999 :Yes its better than jpg 512's but im not sure its worth paying for.

2000 skins is probably enough for half a year of racing... for that difference, I think that's worth it.

As for skin compression, that's an option in the graphics options.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG