The online racing simulator
Which would you take?
(83 posts, started )

Poll : Which would you go with?

Wheel
S2
Neither
I got S2 first, and raced with the keyboard.

I then purchased a wheel and im getting there slowly lol., I remember people saying that as ive now got a whel i should now be even faster...that didnt happen
Quote from sinkoman :There's no option for me to turn my mouse into a useable axis in the wheel/joystick setting, and there's no option for me to turn my gamepad into an axis in kb/mouse.

If anybody knows how to do this, i'd greatly appreciate help

look at the js/wheel axes/ff tab again closely ... on the right side you should have mouse x and y available
Go for s2 then a wheel.
Quote from sinkoman :I've been playing the LFS demo for the a bit of time now, and have been REALLY wanting the full version, and of course, a wheel to compliment the game.

But just the other day my PSU went out on me (my fault for not wrapping all the stripped molex' that I was using to power some electronics stuff), so now that a bit of my budget will be spent towards a new PSU, i'll prolly need to decide between either upgrading to S2 now, and just playing with a gamepad, or getting a wheel now (most likely a MOMO), and upgrading to S2 later on down the line.

Which would you guys take?

I also was wondering, if I were to buy an S1 liscense, will I basically be playing the S2 engine with all the S1 cars and tracks?

Because i'd be more than happy to compromise and purchase S1 with a wheel, but only if the compromise is in the cars and tracks, and not in the physics engine itself.

You`ll have so much more fun with a wheel, that this is the most important option. Better S1 with wheel, than S2 without

But buy both !!!!!!!
#55 - robt
Quote from Lucasinio :I got S2 first, and raced with the keyboard.

I then purchased a wheel and im getting there slowly lol., I remember people saying that as ive now got a whel i should now be even faster...that didnt happen

i know how you feel, i used keyboard since i started on lfs back on S1, i upgraded to my S2 license and used keyboard for 2 (maybe 3?? i cant count) years, and now i have a wheel (with very dodgy pedals) and im only faster in the single seater cars with my wheel, in all the others my keyboard wins by over a second
GAH, I tried my gamepad for throttle/break, and my mouse for acceleration, and I just can't race with my mouse.

It's the fact that there's no sensual way to center the wheels, you just have to look at the screen and guage where you're at, and how many clicks away from center you're at.

I NEED centering of some sort, whether it be being able to actually see the centering (ala a racing wheel), or just let go of my steering and let it snap back to center, (ala my gamepad).

I'm really thinking, maybe I don't need a MOMO or a DFP. LFS and GT every so often are the only racing games I play (although I hope to get GTR soon), and i'm not even playing LFS to get a world reccord or sommat, just to race and have fun.
Your lucky day
Hey brother,
I have a Logitech wheel I'm not using, it's all yours.
It's not ff but it works like a clock.
Shoot me an email (I sent my address to you)
I'll even pay the shipping.
We LFS'er have to stick together.
DD
Mouse works great for me for now, even on GTR's and open wheelers so I'd go with S2 if I was you.
Key to mouse driving is to set your trottle and brake to KB (I use W for trottle and D for Brake) and the right click and left click for shifting.
This gives you plenty of control.
Also, set the button rate to about 2.6 - 3 (default is 4.0) This will allow you to better control trottle and brake input.
I agree that nothing really beats a good wheel with LFS. But you need to have LFS first
I'd rather mouse my way to LFS stardom then hotlap the demo with a g25.

Just my $0.02
#59 - wark
D: go with rubberbrush
Actually 4 people have voted you do nothing..

Yes.... And I forgot how expensive S2 is.. Almost $70 AUD (momo wheels are around $100-$150 here in shops) I just forgot how expensive S2 seems because I have got so much value out of it.
Quote from rubberbrush :Hey brother,
I have a Logitech wheel I'm not using, it's all yours.
It's not ff but it works like a clock.
Shoot me an email (I sent my address to you)
I'll even pay the shipping.
We LFS'er have to stick together.
DD

Thank you for the generous offer, but i'll have to decline. I really want a nice Force Feedback wheel, and I really wouldn't want to waste your time, energy, and money, sending me a wheel that i'd probably end up upgrading asap.

As for the decision, i've been thinking, and i'd GLADLY get S2 if I could figure out how to lap more competitively with my controller.

At the moment, I currently do around 1:32 on Blackwood (regular), in an XRT Turbo.

What tips do you guys have for improving my times with my gamepad?

I'm also wondering, how many west coast servers are there? I live in Hawaii, so I really don't want to spend my money on a game that i'll never find fair pinging servers in.
up to you bro
Quote from sinkoman :..
What tips do you guys have for improving my times with my gamepad?

Well, to try and smooth out the jerking movements your getting from the old stiff pad try these settings:

MISC Menu:
Analogue Steer smooth: 0.9 (max)
If this was set to 0.0 then this is your biggest problem.

Controls:
Wheel Turn: 90 degrees
Wheel Turn Compensation: 1.0
Then in the AXES / FF Tab
Click Recalibrate Axes (then do a couple full circles of the sticks and release to centre)
Does anyone know whet calibration lock [no] / [yes] is for? I used [no]

Each time You restart LFS you must make the car sit somewhere and do a couple full circles of the sticks to recalibrate first time within then game. Eg: The two seconds on the start grid is sufficient time to do this. ONly need to do this once every LFS session.. not every race. You don't need to access the menu to tell LFS to recalibrate. LFS will automatically adjust itself to see where your Stick limits are.

If you find the front wheels turn too slugishly now... try reduce the Analogue Steer Smooth to 0.8 or perhapse even 0.7 to suit your required responsiveness. If it was originally 0.0, you may have solved your grief at a higher value. Good luck.
Quote from JasonJ :Well, to try and smooth out the jerking movements your getting from the old stiff pad try these settings:

MISC Menu:
Analogue Steer smooth: 0.9 (max)
If this was set to 0.0 then this is your biggest problem.

Controls:
Wheel Turn: 90 degrees
Wheel Turn Compensation: 1.0
Then in the AXES / FF Tab
Click Recalibrate Axes (then do a couple full circles of the sticks and release to centre)
Does anyone know whet calibration lock [no] / [yes] is for? I used [no]

Each time You restart LFS you must make the car sit somewhere and do a couple full circles of the sticks to recalibrate first time within then game. Eg: The two seconds on the start grid is sufficient time to do this. ONly need to do this once every LFS session.. not every race. You don't need to access the menu to tell LFS to recalibrate. LFS will automatically adjust itself to see where your Stick limits are.

If you find the front wheels turn too slugishly now... try reduce the Analogue Steer Smooth to 0.8 or perhapse even 0.7 to suit your required responsiveness. If it was originally 0.0, you may have solved your grief at a higher value. Good luck.

D:

If it were medically feasible for me to carry your children, I would.

Your tips haven't improved my times by much (I'm getting about 1:31 fairly consistently), but controlling the car feels so much less like a battle now.

Maybe I can actually use the mouse to steer now.
Quote from sinkoman :D:

If it were medically feasible for me to carry your children, I would.

Your tips haven't improved my times by much (I'm getting about 1:31 fairly consistently), but controlling the car feels so much less like a battle now.

Maybe I can actually use the mouse to steer now.

He he, I thought you didn't want the mouse as it has no centre-zone feel and you never know where it is without the virtual steering guage on and there is no "spring back to centre" That's the reasons I couldn't get the hang of mouse. Well anyways... those setting might make the mouse easier to use as well. Glad your getting somewhere with it.
Quote from JasonJ :He he, I thought you didn't want the mouse as it has no centre-zone feel and you never know where it is without the virtual steering guage on and there is no "spring back to centre" That's the reasons I couldn't get the hang of mouse. Well anyways... those setting might make the mouse easier to use as well. Glad your getting somewhere with it.

Yeah, but with the steering being allot less sporadic, I can actually monitor where the wheel is whilst using the mouse.

Still not as good as a joystick though :P

I tweaked the curve type for my controller (the curves were set custom so that the steering was allot more subtle, but now that i've gotten then analogue fix options up I no longer needed it), and managed to lap 1:30 a few times.

I was pretty close to around 1:29-1:28 a few times too, but I kept hitting the third to the last turn too quickly.

Thankyou so much

Curious, how well do you usually lap on Blackwood?
Quote from sinkoman :Curious, how well do you usually lap on Blackwood?

1:32.58 BLR XRT
I dont do BL much - theres so many other tracks in S2, im noob everywhere.

Before I was told about analogue smooth steering I could wear out tyres in like 1/2 lap. To much sensitivity wore out the tyres, going lock to lock in 0.1 secs flat.
Oh, my GOD D: D: D:

I finally played a few races online, and I have to say...

It was the most INTENSE, most FUN, most EXCITING gaming i've ever done. And this is only with maybe 7 racers.

One of the only times my heart actually felt like it was going to JUMP out of my chest as I worried that i'd hit the fourth turn on Blackwood GP (right after the chicane) too quickly!

I didn't realise how intense turn one would be either. It's like a ****ing deathmatch, everybody, inches away from everybody else (and oftentimes hitting everybody else), trying to hit the closes to perfect line possible.

And then leading the pack and watching a single racer slingshot out of nowhere and overtake you!

Oh my god. I might to put the MOMO on hold

I'm still wondering though, how many west coast servers might I find online at once?
Quote from sinkoman :Oh, my GOD D: D: D:

I finally played a few races online, and I have to say...

It was the most INTENSE, most FUN, most EXCITING gaming i've ever done. And this is only with maybe 7 racers.

One of the only times my heart actually felt like it was going to JUMP out of my chest as I worried that i'd hit the fourth turn on Blackwood GP (right after the chicane) too quickly!

I didn't realise how intense turn one would be either. It's like a ****ing deathmatch, everybody, inches away from everybody else (and oftentimes hitting everybody else), trying to hit the closes to perfect line possible.

And then leading the pack and watching a single racer slingshot out of nowhere and overtake you!

Oh my god. I might to put the MOMO on hold

I'm still wondering though, how many west coast servers might I find online at once?

I am from West Coast, you can head to the LOTA servers for some one-make race. Anyway, if you get S2, the quality of racers is much higher than demo, and you will experience more heart-beating moment
whoah... that's a close poll!

I voted S2, eassssy. Get a logitech dual analog gamepead for pocket change and have heaps of fun in S2 No wheel doesn't stop you playing all the cool combos with the cool kids - S1 does though!

oops, i take it I voted a bit too late!
Quote from Burnzoire :whoah... that's a close poll!

I voted S2, eassssy. Get a logitech dual analog gamepead for pocket change and have heaps of fun in S2 No wheel doesn't stop you playing all the cool combos with the cool kids - S1 does though!

oops, i take it I voted a bit too late!

Not at all

In fact, partly because of the poll being so ****ing close, and after a bit of thinking hard...

I have a drawer full of money, CASH now, that i've been saving for a few years. As of now, it's between 300-400 USD. I've been saving the money for something, something BIG.

But i've never really had "something BIG" that I really felt was worth the money (largely in part because I used to have a big problem with spending money, which i've been trying to keep myself from). Because of this lack of something BIG, the drawer usually just devolved into a little bank I could pull 20 USD out of on the weekends to go see a movie, or spend on... COUGH otherthings COUGH.

But now, NOW, I HAVE something BIG that I REALLY want.

So I figure, "HELL, why not reach WAY into my pockets, and get them both???"

I figure that if the combo ends up not being worth as much as I thought it would be, it'll be EASY as pie to sell the MOMO for just as much as what I bought it for (considering how MOMO auctions tend to go on Ebay).

Thoughts?

Thanks for the opinions guys . If not for them, I wouldn't have realized what i've been missing out of on both fronts.
LFS forum FTW :up:
Don't mess around with the MOMO, get a second-hand DFP rev. B.

They are cheap now as a lot of DFPers have switched to the G25.
Quote from sam1600 :Don't mess around with the MOMO, get a second-hand DFP rev. B.

They are cheap now as a lot of DFPers have switched to the G25.

Second hand DFPs are FAR from cheap. At least on Ebay.

Sure they start at maybe 30 or 40 dollars, but they usually end in the 70's and 60's, and that's not including SHIPPING
Hey guys, this poll really made my day, and it's a tie so far...

I am in the same situation, except that I want to get both S1 and S2 at the same time, OR a wheel (any wheel, even a crappy one). The "problem" is that here in Argentina, good wheels are really expensive (you know, the devaluation killed us) so it's one or the other... I think I'll go for the wheel for now cause that would also allow me to play other games, but I just love LFS too much...

Well, I'll keep doing my research on the matter to see what I do in the end.

Greetings from the end of the world!

Which would you take?
(83 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG