The online racing simulator
Do you run a host using WINE?
(97 posts, started )
If yes, please post here what version of wine you use, which kernel version / OS type and if you experience any problems or not.
I'm trying to figure out if it's the later versions of wine that cause problems for hosts - they appear to suffer from packet loss after a while and in the end totally die.
I had this problem at some point (using 0.9.35), then reverted back to an older version thinking this one would work fine again, but actually it didn't. So I wonder which version would work - maybe there will be some similar responses from you, indicating this.
I get periodic, unreproducable bugs under 0.9.32, whereby the entire host will occasionally stop responding and it has to be kill'ed. Usually this is when I've been testing luaLFS recently. Unfortunately players seem relunctant to join my test server(s) at the moment.
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
I will have to contact our host for the version number, but yes we've been using WINE for our LFS servers, and yes, we've also had a lot of problems with servers just "hanging" and needing a reboot.
They seem a lot better lately though - maybe the host changed the WINE version or something... I'll try to get some more info.
Wine 0.9.20
LFSDEDI 0.5W10
Debian v4.0 (Etch)
Kernel 2.6

Earlier, I've had heaps of trouble with my servers:
  • People suddenly getting disconnected for no (apparent) reason.
  • People have not been able to connect ("Did not receive guest info").
  • Server has, as far as I know, stopped sending UDP packets resulting in "ghost" races.
However, lately all problems seem to have seized. I have not restarted any of my servers since April 19th (which is a relatively long time compared to earlier, when the servers had to be restarted about once a week). It's probably worth mentioning that the servers were not restarted because of a problem, but because W10 was released.

As far as I can remember, my box's configuration has not changed since the problems disappeared.

Knock on wood.
i wonder if kernel / os type matters.

so for the record, I've used freebsd 6.0 and 6.2
#6 - Ian.H
Unless my box is just ultra under-powered, this has been like this "forever" Vic. I used to have to restart my LFS server every 2-3 days.. and I'm going back to S1 (0.3F / G / H) servers.

The version string for my WINE install is '20030813' (it only gets used for the LFS server and that's only a temp backup these days hence the very outdated version).

I tried it a few days ago and couldn't even host 2 other local(ish) drivers, but not tested yet to see whether that's my ISP screwing around.

Either way, the running fine and then slowly dying requiring a restart has happened to me since mid 2004.. I just assumed it was badly managed resources with WINE so have never mentioned it.

Other specs if useful:

FreeBSD 4.8 (recompiled kernel)
PII 350mhz
320Mb RAM

Regards,

Ian
Quote from felplacerad :Wine 0.9.20
LFSDEDI 0.5W10
Debian v4.0 (Etch)
Kernel 2.6

Earlier, I've had heaps of trouble with my servers:
  • People suddenly getting disconnected for no (apparent) reason.
  • People have not been able to connect ("Did not receive guest info").
  • Server has, as far as I know, stopped sending UDP packets resulting in "ghost" races.
However, lately all problems seem to have seized. I have not restarted any of my servers since April 19th (which is a relatively long time compared to earlier, when the servers had to be restarted about once a week). It's probably worth mentioning that the servers were not restarted because of a problem, but because W10 was released.

As far as I can remember, my box's configuration has not changed since the problems disappeared.

Knock on wood.

As I heard Wollet also uses 0.9.20 and has no problems, I installed that version and well, so far so good! The host is still up and accessable.
Just thought i'd mention that
Well alright.

taa, maybe you should point this out in your guide?
Added Thanks, I'd been meaning to do that for a while
I've tryed it on Fedora Core 4, with Wine 0.9.20. And I could not get it to run. I'll bet that was my fault tho.
Debian etch, Kernel 2.6.18-4-vserver-686
running inside a linux-vserver session,
wine-0.9.31
LFS 0.5W17
Works, as far as I know, the server is not that frequently used.
Tys,

Try connecting to it. AFAIK you will not be able to determine if the server is functioning properly just by checking if the process is running.
for all completeness - 0.9.20 doesn't work 100% either. Wollet's server has had the udp packet loss problem yesterday and I've had it as well a couple of days ago.
I'm trying to debug it a bit more with a special host with extra logging that scawen made, but so far the two hosts i'm running for test are still OK. We'll see.
Quote from Victor :I'm trying to debug it a bit more with a special host with extra logging that scawen made, [...]

That's great. Hopefully you two will figure something out.

(Mine were still running fine yesterday (uptime since april 19th) when I updated them to W21.)
Quote from felplacerad :Tys,

Try connecting to it. AFAIK you will not be able to determine if the server is functioning properly just by checking if the process is running.

It is not _that_ infrequently used

To add some on-topic stuff, about a year ago and some wine versions down I also had the problem that drivers couldn't connect with "Did not receive guest info".
Gentoo
wine 0.9.22
kernel 2.6
now 20x ACTUAL LINUX dedi server (7x 0.5W demo, 8x0.5W S2, 5x0.5W test)
no problems at all
Debian 3.1
Wine 0.9.20
Kernel 2.6

We had massive problems with older wine version - upgraded last week but still have same problems with 0.9.20
Problem always the same after about 30 minutes:
- server still running / chat is ok
- no one can see other ppl driving, only my own marker on map is moving, all others are standing still.
- join server is not possible
- /reinit causes server to crash

This started early this year - before that we ran lfs on wine for more than 1 year without much problems
Quote from -Willi- :
- no one can see other ppl driving, only my own marker on map is moving, all others are standing still.

Yes, I saw this several times on ALeRT (Actual Linux, see above) servers. But the problem disapeared, I'm not sure when and why . Maybe 0.9.22 X 0.9.20?
Hi all,
I'm running with the following details:

fedora 6
kernel 2.6.20
wine-0.9.36

Seems to work fine but I will test with more racers and report back.
Raced for over one hour with myself (local) and 4 friends (remote).
Seems fine, no problems.

Using server version W33.
My Server:
Debian Etch
Kernel 2.6.16
Wine 0.9.20

I run a LFS-Dedi (Patch U, V and W7/W19) since last November without any problems.
(Today I updated to wine 0.9.25 and Patch X)
OpenSuse 10.1
Wine 9.35

After a few time:
- server still running / chat is ok
- join server is not possible
- /reinit causes server to crash
I've updated our server to wine 0.9.38 on monday

since then we had no problems - 4 servers running, no servercrash

before that update we could use a server for max 1 hour.
I hope that we are not just lucky ...
Still running Wine 0.9.32
Debian Lenny 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP

Still having "trouble" with /reinit It looks like it works, but just doesnt re-register the server on the master last time I checked a few hours ago. If I avoid that it seems to be ok (currently running RallyX - feel free to join in the fun )
/reinit doesnt work here also - but did it ever work on linux/wine?

(97 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG