The online racing simulator
Do you run a host using WINE?
(97 posts, started )
I'm pretty sure it never has.

So this fix was probably never intended to fix any wine isssues:

Quote from Scawen :hanges in TEST PATCH W41 :
FIX : Bug that could cause host to stop responding after /reinit

The NO Guestinformation problem "Keine Gastinformationen erhalten" still exist in all Wine & LFS Server versions?

When the Server runnig a few Days...
Victor,
do you have new information to the UDP problem?
Can i help you?

Regards Alex
I have 2 Servers running on Linux/wine.
Both are Patch X now, at W (and before since S) we only had "NO Guestinformation " sometimes.
Since X not once.

Server 1:
Suse 10.0
Wine 20050725

Server 2:
Suse9.3
Wine 20040813

We will run a bigger Cup, with 32 drivers.
If there accour problems, i will post them here.
Two of my servers suffered from the no guest info+ghost car bug today. Has it gotten worse with patch X? That would not make much sense though .. Could be just a fluke.
Quote from Liberation :Victor,
do you have new information to the UDP problem?
Can i help you?

Regards Alex

No, nothing new here. And from all the replies in this thread i can't really see any pattern towards the problem. It's all too random to say much about it.
Running 2 Servers

FPR | Publicserver Patch X
FPR | Publicserver#2 Patch X2

OS SuSE 9.3 64bit
Kernel 2.6.16.27
Wine 20050211

From time to time there is the no guest information message.

But both servers never ever had heavy load.
Using:

wine 0.9.25-2.1
debian etch, kernel 2.6.18-4-686
dual core machine
1 Gb connection
7 dedicated servers on this box (fully optimized for just LFS hosting)

Yesterday night we had the mentioned problem of people who stopped seeing everyone else thus being a "ghost race" more than anything. I think that's the UDP packet issue.

We had this problem back when we were running a host in another machine with the same configuration but was used for other tasks and not just LFS. Anyway when we installed patch X on that machine, which uses the same kernel and WINE but has only different hardware and usage, the problem seemed to disappear. We used two servers on that machine with 60 people racing at the same time and everything went well.

Based on that experience we set up a dedicated machine with the same linux core and wine version, a faster connection and higher CPU power to have more servers this week. It resulted in the above mentioned problem happening very soon when we had about 130 people connected. And very soon I mean like 10 minutes, but I think it shows depending on the people connected and the time the server has been running is not an important fact. We knew this problem from long ago, when we couldn't have more than 12 o 13 people on the server because too many people caused the server to fail (in this way).

For reference, CPU was 3% at it's highest peak and bandwith usage was 18 Mb out of 1 Gb.
Hi,
on Patch X2 the same Problem occours.
I setting up a "Demo" server. Much people using it. After a few hours the "No Guestinformation" problem still exist.

We must debug this problem and fix this issue...

Can Scawen build a server with mutch log/debug options than we are able to find the bug?
I'm 99% sure, that the problem is in Wine, not in LFS. Try to use the latest version, 0.9.39 ATM.
Quote from Kada_CZ :I'm 99% sure, that the problem is in Wine, not in LFS. Try to use the latest version, 0.9.39 ATM.

could you explain that, or is it just a feeling?
It is logical that wine is the reason or the underlying os itself.
When using windows u don't have those problems
As yankman wrote, there are no such problems under Windows. The ALeRT servers had these problems in the past. But now they run without any problem, we have every monday league races (70-100 racers on four servers) and they runs perfect. Thus I think, that it has to be something in the wine version/configuration.
I'm with Kada_CZ on this one.

I'm pretty sure that either doing some hardcore debugging with wine on a busy server which gets this problem will pin it down. I'd put money on it being something within the wine networking stack and how it interacts - but I've not taken a look at it in a very long time to beable to confirm this.

Edit: for brevity I'll repeat my previous posts;
If the team are interested in providing a non-windows server, and are interested, there are multiple people including myself, who are willing to spend our own time on it, for free.

If anyone else is interested in this, and the team are not, then perhaps anyone with a penchant for reverse engineering network code would like to spend some time on this with me..?
Quote from the_angry_angel :
Edit: for brevity I'll repeat my previous posts;
If the team are interested in providing a non-windows server, and are interested, there are multiple people including myself, who are willing to spend our own time on it, for free.

If anyone else is interested in this, and the team are not, then perhaps anyone with a penchant for reverse engineering network code would like to spend some time on this with me..?

What do you need for your testing ?
I'd probably start off by running wine and lfs under gdb (and possibly dtrace) and see whats going on when the problem occurs, in comparison to what happens when things are all ok.

Not the best idea in the world, as its gonna be spammy, but it's the only idea I've got to even start cracking it (cant even run the damn thing under winedbg as we've got no idea of where the actual problem lies).
I don't know about debugging, but we have the racers and the servers you may need for your testing in lfs-spain. As I said, we are very interested in finding a stable linux/wine combo to host our league servers.
So the plan is to build a wine with debug symbols and use gdb for debugging.
The problem is u need to know when a problem occurs in first place.
Otherwise I have no idea how to recognize the problem from inside the debugger.
But anyhow, if u are ready to test give a sign.

PS: Has anyone ever thought about contacting the wine developers ?
Quote from yankman :The problem is u need to know when a problem occurs in first place.

Exactly
Quote from yankman : PS: Has anyone ever thought about contacting the wine developers ?

I've done a good search through the bugtracking system for it, but I honestly don't want to log a bug without some sort of information at all. Whining at them, saying "LFS_DEDI doesn't work - fix it!!11oneone" isn't constructive unfortunately
Maybe take the other way round and look for applications that are more popular then lfs and produce a high amount of udp packets (p2p, other online games) ? They should have equal probs.
Bug ID 5774, http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5774, is the closest I can come up with atm. A patch has been submitted which is reported to fix it, and it looks like it was included in 0.9.39..

I'm downloading and compiling that now.
OK, i build a testsystem with Wine 0.9.39 and a Demoserver.
I annouce tomorrow.

Regars Alex
That bug report definitely looks like the problem we're talking about. I don't know if we are knowledgeable enough to get that wine version and compile it, I'll ask if any can do it and try that version of wine. Let's cross our fingers...
NNnngh. Just compiled 0.9.39 and hit a problem. Wineconsole goes /nuts/. As in spaming loads of shit to the console and eating the cpu
Quote from the_angry_angel :NNnngh. Just compiled 0.9.39 and hit a problem. Wineconsole goes /nuts/. As in spaming loads of shit to the console and eating the cpu

Could that be caused because of compiling the sources yourself? I mean, is it possible that the precompiled binaries available for several distributions didn't have this problem?

Do you run a host using WINE?
(97 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG