The online racing simulator
Bad news for Virgin Media users
(35 posts, started )
Its great, Im paying for 10MB and only getting 3 at best xD
#27 - abz1
I have been happy with virgin media\ntl for about 5-6 years and I think a change is now needed.

Can anyone recommend a good alternative? Don't mind if it's adsl.
Telewest / blueyonder have always been a bad joke

When their connection is stable, it's good (or was), when there's problems, god help ya! I got to the point now that the only thing I need them for is an IP address and connection, everything else I handle myself, so it's not been so bad as I don't care if their DNS / Mail / Web server etc fall over (as they do regularly). They ditched their Unix mailserver and replaced it with an m$ exchange server... go figure

As for their "technical support", I know they read off of scripts, but damn... one reason claimed for my modem dying was that I was running FreeBSD and not windoze

I hear they have some jobs going though...

Regards,

Ian
I have never had a complaint about telewest but there does seem to be problems with VM which are all put down to - "Problems telewest had with their structure which we are up grading to give better service" or something like that. What i don't get though is why the service is worse with VM than telewest
Apparently getting upgraded to an 8Mb line, no idea which of the m, l, xl crap it is though. Shouldn't be a problem for me though - even on the medium the limit is 350Mb peak times and i probably dont even do that in a whole day. The biggest downloading i do is LFS for a few hours some night's (which i cant see is that high)
It is sh*t that they are doing this but from personal experience and experience of other people it seems no other provider is better. I will probably stick with VM unless they start to properly throttle the download limits (instead of top 5%)
Downloading 3GB in 8 hours is a lot of junk to download. Very few people will see a limit, I usually download 1GB over the space of a day just so it doesn't slow down the rest of my network. NTL have been putting in limits like that for years, Virgin will probably be the first to enforce it.
Quote from P5YcHoM4N :Downloading 3GB in 8 hours is a lot of junk to download.

Only 1 or 2 MSDN images
What's the deal with broadband in the UK anyway? I mean you guys are paying as much as anyone, but problems with oversold networks, "fair use" policies and traffic shaping seem to be very common. Is transit more expensive in the UK or are the costs for the local loop that much higher than elsewhere?
It's just that over here, most people don't complain about being bent over and raped, so companies know they can get away with it.
Quote from bal00 :What's the deal with broadband in the UK anyway? I mean you guys are paying as much as anyone, but problems with oversold networks, "fair use" policies and traffic shaping seem to be very common. Is transit more expensive in the UK or are the costs for the local loop that much higher than elsewhere?

Bandwidth is very costly over here, it always has been which is why British web hosts suck balls for what you get compared to what you can get in American and such. Mostly because the lines we have in the ground are pretty dire, and BT pretty much own all of them, so they can charge what they like for the companies that rent the lines, then we have to pay out of the ass to rent from a company renting from BT.
Well it seems VM have taken my speed. I am now getting 0.22Mb speed with 263 latency, was hoping to download something tonight, looks like i won't be :/

Bad news for Virgin Media users
(35 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG