The online racing simulator
Is s1 licence worth it?
(61 posts, started )
#26 - SamH
You may be thinking of the time Scawen made it easier for S2 drivers to join S1 servers, when he made the S1 servers visible while in S2 mode. I don't remember him saying that he was going to do more than he already has.
Quote from SamH :You may be thinking of the time Scawen made it easier for S2 drivers to join S1 servers, when he made the S1 servers visible while in S2 mode. I don't remember him saying that he was going to do more than he already has.

http://www.lfsforum.net/showthread.php?p=395080#post395080

This post does seem to indicate that some developments in this regards are coming.
#28 - SamH
Quote from Becky Rose :We've done what we can, so i'm a little dissapointed by the 'just some STCC thing' view. We dont have to run an S1 server at all, but we do it for you guys.

Crashing still happens in that server, and I think I need a replay or something to report it. Either way its silly to buy an S1 license and then be forced to drive the slowest cars. Not sure what that is all about.

I agree with the guys who are saying "Don't bother selling S1, it only discourages your customers." S2 price is also too high for an online distributed game with very little content. I mean the price is comparable to Gran Turismo, but the game itself clearly is not. Also, I buy Gran Turismo in a box, not through a web site.
Quote from SKaREO :S2 price is also too high for an online distributed game with very little content.

I hope you are kidding.

S2 is there for almost 2 years now and there are still many many combos I havent even touched. LFS has massive content.
#32 - joen
Quote from SKaREO :Crashing still happens in that server, and I think I need a replay or something to report it. Either way its silly to buy an S1 license and then be forced to drive the slowest cars. Not sure what that is all about.

I agree with the guys who are saying "Don't bother selling S1, it only discourages your customers." S2 price is also too high for an online distributed game with very little content. I mean the price is comparable to Gran Turismo, but the game itself clearly is not. Also, I buy Gran Turismo in a box, not through a web site.

What does the type of distribution have to do with it? Do you really think a CD Case and a printed manual make up a big part of the price of boxed games? No, it's the marketing and profit for the developers and the middle man.

Also, the price is probably relatively higher in Canada because of the currency conversion. Console/boxed PC games here (and in most other countries) are WAY more expensive than LFS.

Indication: converted to euros, LFS costs €35. Boxed games cost as much as €60 around here.

Besides, LFS aims for quality, Gran Turismo aims for quantity. If quantity is your thing that's fine. But you just can't compare an indie game developed by three people with a game released by one of the biggest players in the market.
Quote from SKaREO :Crashing still happens in that server, and I think I need a replay or something to report it. Either way its silly to buy an S1 license and then be forced to drive the slowest cars. Not sure what that is all about.

crashing happens everywhere, save the replay and report it to the admins to help making the server a better place to drive.
You are not forced to drive the slowest cars at all, you can always drive the others. you either drive the slower cars with other people online, or you can go and practice offline.

S2 price is no way too high, and saying very little content is also wrong, it has plenty of content to keep us driving for more than two years now (or when was S2 released?). Also you get free updates until S3 is released. And you get that more than once in a year, what do you get for free after buying GT3? nothing I bet.

Clearly you don't get the LFS concept, nor the development process, so instead of posting rubbish, buy yourself S2 and see where the real action is. I think everyone will agree that you won't regret the purchase.

It's pratically the same that you will found when u will download and unlock rfactor.

And obviously GT4 can have tons of cars, but if quite all feel the same, is like having only one...

I don't know how much costs games in canada, but here in Italy, a just released boxed PC game costs around 50 euros, and if it's a console game, it cost more (60, infact this is one reason why i dont like consoles).

Now, all we know that after some months, and then years, prices go down to a bargain level, but games go down too, and became unused, unpatched and abandoned.

LFS is still here since 2002. The people that bought S1 licence on 2002 can still use their old licence online, with a completely new graphic and physic.
Highly probably this will happen with S3 too.

I don't think that having to pay 36 euros for a game continuosly upgraded since 2002 (we are in 2007 now) are that much.

If you would have bought all simbin games that had been released in that period (GTR1 - GTL - GTR2 - RACE) you would have spent 200 euros for having only the last 2 playable with someone online (and the last one is still bugged and already has a follower planned, RACE 07).

Are you saying that you prefer that policy?
#35 - joen
One more thing about LFS being distributed online only. I think you will find that in a couple of years more and more games will be distributed through the internet, I think it's the future and LFS is actually a step ahead of most. If you think about it it makes a lot of sense. You buy a game which main focus is providing an online racing simulation, why would you need to go to a store to get it?

And now that online gaming is much more present in the console market, you will see the same there. Some time ago I read an article about the new GT (partially) being distributed through the internet as well. You would buy the base package with some cars and tracks, and you would have to download and pay for the extra content online.

I don't know if this is still the plan, but I do think a lot will change in the distribution of games.

But anyway, this is kinda OT
Nah, they distribute it online because no one will publish and distribute it through retail chains. Its only half a game and its over priced. I won't be upgrading to S2 anytime soon, I'm very disappointed in S1 right now.

I could barely read SpaceMarine's broken translation, but basically he's got it all wrong. Games you buy in the store have more content and they come in a box. Racing games are notoriously bad, the only one that lives up to its name is Gran Turismo. This game just needs more cars, better cars, more tracks and more fun.

Right now its awfully boring running in circles in slow cars that don't even exist in real life. Can't you get a Honda Accord, a BMW M3? What's the deal with these no-name cars? Anyway, I guess I'm finished with this game now, it was short lived.
#37 - joen
Quote from SKaREO :Nah, they distribute it online because no one will publish and distribute it through retail chains. Its only half a game and its over priced. I won't be upgrading to S2 anytime soon, I'm very disappointed in S1 right now.

Actually Scawen and Eric left their job at a games developer to be able to do things their own way and not have to sacrifice quality just because some guy in a suit and tie tells them they have a release date to make.
It's funny you show that your "complaint" is made out of ignorance.
Also, you should have been aware of which cars and tracks you bought with S1, since the information is publicly available on the official site.

Quote :
I could barely read SpaceMarine's broken translation, but basically he's got it all wrong. Games you buy in the store have more content and they come in a box.

Why is that darn box so important to you? The production cost of that thing is probably 30 cents or something.

Quote :
Racing games are notoriously bad, the only one that lives up to its name is Gran Turismo.

lol, thanks for the laugh. Another example of your ignorance.

Quote :
This game just needs more cars, better cars, more tracks and more fun.

Quote :
Right now its awfully boring running in circles in slow cars that don't even exist in real life.

Circles? Kyoto isn't even in S1 And that's not even a circle.

Quote :
Can't you get a Honda Accord, a BMW M3? What's the deal with these no-name cars?

License costs.

Quote :
Anyway, I guess I'm finished with this game now, it was short lived.

Kthxbi.
SKaREO, Sorry to be harsh mate, but it's obvious that LFS isn't for your teeth really

Go play some NFS mumbo jumbo thingy instead, because if you have this opinion about racing
Quote :Right now its awfully boring running in circles in slow cars that don't even exist in real life.

I really rest my case.

What did you expect from a racing sim? The fun is in the racing not in the name of the car.
I totally disagree with everything you have said, Joen. Fair enough, I'm not going to act like a 12 year old and tell you you're an ignoramous or something foolish like that.

I really have no idea what you're trying to explain. Basically I'm saying this game is a giant bore and its over priced. You say they don't add more content or real cars because they care about quality and can't afford the licensing. Well Gran Turismo is higher quality than this in my opinion, and in millions of other people's opinions too, and they have real cars in it, not some made up fake cars that don't exist.

You're not going to be able to convince me that this game is something its not. Simply put, if you enjoy racing fake cars, this is the game for you. Its not anywhere near comparable to Gran Turismo, that much is clear.
Quote from SKaREO :Well Gran Turismo is higher quality than this in my opinion, and in millions of other people's opinions too, and they have real cars in it, not some made up fake cars that don't exist.

Might be because they got massive finacial backing from Sony, so they could afford the licenses in the first place. Just a little reminder: LFS is made by 3 guys, not any extremely rich ones, and there is no finacial backup for them, as there is no company. Have you tried to buy licenses for real cars yourself yet? I suppose you didn't ...
Anyway, seeing you use GT as a reference, LFS might really not be the right game for you
:feedtroll
#42 - joen
Quote from SKaREO :I really have no idea what you're trying to explain.

Yep, I guess that's your problem right there
Anyway, I'm not going to explain further because I already went too OT

//edit: no, after reading your last reply, I guess the problem is that you just called GT a sim (You think it's a sim because it says so on that box you bought it in )
I see a lot of people trying to act like Gran Turismo isn't the most successful racing simulator ever made. What's with that? Get your heads out of your arses. Maybe you could learn something from Polyphony Digital. Better graphics, better cars, better sounds and better tracks equal one kick ass racing sim. And yeah, you're right, after playing GT for years and years, this game lacks what I'm looking for in a racing sim. Maybe it really isn't the game for me, even though I love racing sims.

You are entitled to your opinion that this is the best game out there, but I'm just pointing out that you are the minority. The majority are playing Gran Turismo 4 and the new GT for the PS3 is coming. Why didn't Polyphony release a new GT with the PS3 yet? Because they are doing what you people are preaching. They are taking their time and making sure it is top notch quality, as usual.

The point is that this game should not be priced the same way Gran Turismo is, because I'm forced to compare the two titles. Games that come in a box (fresh new game smell? game poster? you know, a boxed game?) are often priced high because of the extra production costs, but that money is put in the hands of people that work and feed their families. What justifies a high price when I know for fact it is a fraction of the cost to distribute it online this way. No printed manuals, no printed boxes, no distribution facilities, yet the price is still set high. Seems like a rip off to me.
I know this is offtopic, but you just gave me my daily laugh Skareo

:munching_
Quote from zeugnimod ::feedtroll

Quote from Sternendaal :I know this is offtopic, but you just gave me my daily laugh Skareo

:munching_

Quote from ebola :Please shut the door on the way out.

Quote from joen :Kthxbi.

Quote from Sternendaal :Ignorance for the win, eh?

What's with all the silly replies in this thread? Are you people under 12 or something?

I can't believe some of the opinions I'm hearing here. Oh well, take care all!
Please shut the door on the way out.
Quote from fuzzymonkey :Ok ive finally had enough of people wrecking my car and spending ages looking for people that ARENT drifting the XRT, i havent gotten bored of blackwood yet tho....

You might wanna have a look at the W10 patched DFH Racing Server. It´s a demo server only.They have LFSLapper installed. It´s XRT only.
You know what I have been a jerk here, so I'm sorry to the community for acting so negatively. For what its worth, I'm probably going to buy S2 soon and S3 when it is released. I shouldn't take such a negative stance on this game, its actually quite good in a lot of respects. I have recommended it to people for being a very good simulator with a very well-polished online mode.
Quote from SKaREO :What's with all the silly replies in this thread? Are you people under 12 or something?

I can't believe some of the opinions I'm hearing here. Oh well, take care all!

Ignorance for the win, eh?

What's silly about it? You pay half the price you get less content... Why not go moan at SimBin for charging you another £35 for a patched version of GTR 1...

Quote :

Why? S1 is still an option, what I hate is seeing S1 users moaning rather than getting off their back-sides and doing something about it. What stops you from getting a server and using the forums as a method of advertising it... S1 users should be glad that the LFS philosophy doesn't follow every other game such as Grand Turismo, at least S1 users get the latest of everything except content. Name me another game where you get continuous updates for the life of the entire product, not just V1.

I just love how people like you obviously fall for the EA games/SimBin strategy and don't appear to realise it when you come here calling LFS expensive... Which it isn't to any stretch of the imagination, console games here are £40-45, PC games £35 and how long do they last you? a month at best... LFS has kept me entertained for what must be coming on 2 years and I've yet to drive half the combos so no lack of content there...

Is s1 licence worth it?
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG