The online racing simulator
Is s1 licence worth it?
(61 posts, started )
Is s1 licence worth it?
Ok ive finally had enough of people wrecking my car and spending ages looking for people that ARENT drifting the XRT, i havent gotten bored of blackwood yet tho. Now since im cheap i'll get an s1 licence (mrt thingy looks fun) but ive seen on lfs world there are hardly any s1 servers. Is it possible that s1 players can play on s2 servers if the s2 server has the cars and tracks that are in the s1 version?

Also how important is a wheel? I can manage high 1.24's with the XRT but it involves alot of really rapid clicking to get a (sort of) gradual throttle/brake application. Are the other cars as slidy?
Title .-mm no, if u want only 7 servers, and 5 of them empty, yes, if not, S2 it's ur choice.

I prefer a wheel, instead of keyboard (that i expect ur using) .. s1, in s2 no
There are one or two STCC S1 servers ( i think) that almost always have people in them. You'll have trouble controlling the lx4 and lx6 with a mouse.
I just bought an S1 license. It was a total waste of money. No servers playing except some STCC thing. No interesting cars to drive. Wow, what a waste of money, the demo was more fun I think.

Maybe if I upgrade to S2 I will find more than 2 servers running.
#5 - herki
Well, the STCC one is pretty full normally, but you won't find the XRT in it. S1 is okay for non-frequent online gaming or offline players, but for the complete fun you should get S2

>Maybe if I upgrade to S2 I will find more than 2 servers running.
Way more
Quote from SKaREO :Maybe if I upgrade to S2 I will find more than 2 servers running.

about 600 online and usually around 20-30 with quite a few players on it

and yea, id go directly for S2, u will miss out the big fun without it (not even talking bout the servers ).
Quote from SKaREO :I just bought an S1 license. It was a total waste of money. No servers playing except some STCC thing. No interesting cars to drive. Wow, what a waste of money, the demo was more fun I think.

S2 is totally worth it, i don't know why the devs even sell S1 anymore, they are just discouraging the people who actually buy it, such as SKaREO.
there is always people "driving" sometimes the fasters servers (lowest ping) are drift servers but that doesn't matter there is always someone racing and im not even in the right racing timezone (australia) andi find races s1 there is no point having it
#9 - SamH
Reading between the lines, I think the edge between S1 and S2 may be getting more blurred.. meaning that S1 players may soon be able to see S2 servers that are running S1 content. I may be wrong on this.. it's just the impression I'm getting, watching what's happening with the direction of the LFS development path.

All that said, I personally would really strongly recommend going straight to S2. It's my personal recommendation because I like faster cars, and S2 gets you the GTR class cars, the FOX, FO8 and the BF1 (to name a few).

We recently also moved the STCC 2 - Silver & Gold server to S1, so there's actually somewhere for S1 drivers to go to, once they've earned their Silver licence. The base reason for running S1 servers is to give S1 licence holders somewhere to race (to get the old S1 licence holders back into LFS), but ALSO to encourage them to consider upgrading to S2. This is where LFSers are definitely happiest. The S2 cars absolutely rock.
Quote from fuzzymonkey :Ok ive finally had enough of people wrecking my car and spending ages looking for people that ARENT drifting the XRT, i havent gotten bored of blackwood yet tho. Now since im cheap i'll get an s1 licence (mrt thingy looks fun) but ive seen on lfs world there are hardly any s1 servers. Is it possible that s1 players can play on s2 servers if the s2 server has the cars and tracks that are in the s1 version?

Also how important is a wheel? I can manage high 1.24's with the XRT but it involves alot of really rapid clicking to get a (sort of) gradual throttle/brake application. Are the other cars as slidy?

The STCC servers are actually the only ones with S1 content. All the others (with people inside off course, not empty) are S2. Don't make the mistake to buy the S1. Go for S2 at once, you won't regret it for sure.

As for the wheel, if you can do 1.24 with the XRT with the mouse/kb you can easily drive the other cars too. A wheel is a must for immersion but if you are already accustomed to another controller and already fast with it you won't have any problems controlling the other cars and be fast with them.

Go for S2
Quote from SamH :Reading between the lines, I think the edge between S1 and S2 may be getting more blurred.. meaning that S1 players may soon be able to see S2 servers that are running S1 content. I may be wrong on this.. it's just the impression I'm getting, watching what's happening with the direction of the LFS development path.

All that said, I personally would really strongly recommend going straight to S2. It's my personal recommendation because I like faster cars, and S2 gets you the GTR class cars, the FOX, FO8 and the BF1 (to name a few).

We recently also moved the STCC 2 - Silver & Gold server to S1, so there's actually somewhere for S1 drivers to go to, once they've earned their Silver licence. The base reason for running S1 servers is to give S1 licence holders somewhere to race (to get the old S1 licence holders back into LFS), but ALSO to encourage them to consider upgrading to S2. This is where LFSers are definitely happiest. The S2 cars absolutely rock.

Reading more and more that somebody bought S1 licence and has almost no place to drive makes me thinking that DEVs shouldnt sell S1 licences anymore.It doesnt make nice picture to customer if LFS is promoted as online racing simulator but with S1 it doesnt looks like that.

Maybe something for DEVs to strongly consider.
I think now demo encourage people more then S1 to buy S2.
Quote from DEVIL 007 :Reading more and more that somebody bought S1 licence and has almost no place to drive makes me thinking that DEVs shouldnt sell S1 licences anymore.It doesnt make nice picture to customer if LFS is promoted as online racing simulator but with S1 it doesnt looks like that.

Maybe something for DEVs to strongly consider.
I think now demo encourage people more then S1 to buy S2.

S1 was removed from the shelfes a while back only to show up again after a few months. I suppose SamH might be right in saying that S1 licence holders will be able race on S2 servers running s1 content eventually, then the reappearance of the s1 licence would make more sense.

Edit: "[w]ould make more sense" - S1 is a great option for those who cant spare the money and prefer offline racing, but I think the low activity of the S1 license holders might annoy those who were thinking S1 was just as active as S2. Hopefully SamH is right.
There was a time when there where no S1 servers at all, originally the STCC servers didn't even have an S1 server. It is only as we have expanded and opened new servers on each tier that we've added S1 servers because Scawen asked us [and all other server operators] to run some S1 servers.

The biggest problem with running S1 servers was the limited number of race slots available. With the forthcoming patch this will no longer be a problem, meaning that the only limit for us (as servers with a track rotation) will be tracks.

Our second S1 server recently went live as we opened a new S2 tier 2 server.

We've done what we can, so i'm a little dissapointed by the 'just some STCC thing' view. We dont have to run an S1 server at all, but we do it for you guys.

I've invested a lot of money in a new server box that will go live one day soon (long story) and I hope that enables more S1 users to have some content.

I think looking back Scawen was suprised at just how suddenly S1 died when S2 was released. He is addressing it and trying to encourage more S1 content. He has responded to our requests to make this viable and we are answering - but we can't just bat an eyelid and make everything smell of roses.

S2 is really where the action is at. STCC has done it's best to support S1, and I hope after the next patch some other server hosters will do their part too.
for the extra few pounds buy S2 mate
Quote from SKaREO :I just bought an S1 license. It was a total waste of money.

Wrong. You've now half way paid for S2. So it's not wasted.

I agree that few people play online in S1 mode though, so it's not great value for money like an S2 license is.
Realistically though you could see this comming? The current version is what everybody plays so getting the 'old' version isn't the best of ideas.. Throw in another 12 and you get a far better game and you'll find people actually playing it
#17 - joen
S2 is where the action is, but....

The only difference between S1 and S2 is in the content. S1 receives any other update S2 gets. So in that aspect it differs from most other games, where a new version is basically a whole new game even though it is based on it's predecessor code-wise.

I do think it would be good if the seperation between S1 and S2 servers would be taken away. So a BL race with the XFG for instance on S2 servers would be accessible to S1 users as well. The same could be applied when LFS goes S3.

It would be a different story if S1 was a seperate stage and didn't receive any physics updates for instance. I don't know how hard this would be for the devs, and it doesn't affect me personally wether they do or don't, but I think it would be a good thing.

Even better would be the ability for S1 users to participate on all S2 servers, but being limited to S1 cars and tracks (as long as the server settings permits of course), but I can understand the difficulty and security issues behind that.
Quote from SKaREO :I just bought an S1 license. It was a total waste of money. No servers playing except some STCC thing. No interesting cars to drive. Wow, what a waste of money, the demo was more fun I think.

Here is the difference between s1 and s2 server when peope are online.
Attached images
S1.jpg
S2.jpg
How did u change the background?
You can change the background very easy by over writing the background pictures in your pic folder in lfs, the pictures are the ones in the top of the folder or anything name like bkg_******
thanks
Whoa there's alot of encouragement to go s2 lol. Unfortunatly $58 aud is a bit much for me atm. So in a few days ill probably be s1 licenced and move onto s2 later on. s1 should be worth it just to avoid wreckers since i could always host my own server with the cars i want to race (would anyone join?). Thanks for the info everyone

Oh oh, a question. i know that s1 players cant play on s2 server (does anyone know for sure if this will change?) can s2 players play on s1 servers?
Quote from fuzzymonkey :Oh oh, a question. i know that s1 players cant play on s2 server (does anyone know for sure if this will change?) can s2 players play on s1 servers?

S2 players can drive on S1 servers
#24 - SamH
Quote from fuzzymonkey :Oh oh, a question. i know that s1 players cant play on s2 server (does anyone know for sure if this will change?)

S2 drivers can drive on S1 servers, but at the moment S1 drivers can't drive on S2 servers. Whether this will change is NOT known at the moment, but it's *suspected* and the suspicion *could* be completely off the mark. Only Scavier knows, and they've not actually said anything on the topic
If I'm not mistaken, Scawen hinted that there will be some change regarding the S1-S2 "border", but I can't find the post... Maybe something along the line of "if a combo only features S1-content, the server automatically goes into S1-mode", thus would be visible in the S1-server list...

Is s1 licence worth it?
(61 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG