The online racing simulator
Setup - New show on SPEED channel.
(25 posts, started )
A friend recently showed this to me and I thought a lot of online racers would find it interesting. Tommy Kendall (multi Trans-Am championship winner) hosts this show where fledgling drivers and their teams compete for a $100,000 prize and a real race sponsorship. Every driver starts out with a Pontiac Solstice GXP, so everyone is on even ground. The drivers have to drive, their teams have to prepare the car. If the drivers don't perform well enough to land one of the several sponsors in the show, they are out. If the car doesn't fail tech inspection, they are out. If the crew chief misses a meeting, they are out. Looks brutal, and very real.

Check it out here: http://www.setup-tv.com
I thought it was pretty neat, a little more driving little less talking sure would be nice but it was just the introduction i suppose.
Quote from Cue-Ball :If the car doesn't fail tech inspection, they are out.

Honest teams need not apply?
#4 - Vain
Looks like some *** real-TV show
If i wanna see a bunch of portly fellows demonstrating too much machismo I'll stick with Pinks.
Another classic example of BS taking over a good channel. I miss Speedvision
I'm interested in seeing it. One of the teams is made up of 3 of the local racers around here that I know all too well. So I'm curious on how well they faired.
I prefered the Forza show a lot more, that included a lot more racing, and of a hell of a lot of forms of racing(autocross, drag, sprint race, ect.). This seems like it will be more about personalities and teamwork. The should cut a lot of the crap that was on Setup. It seemed like they really had a hard time putting together the show with what they had. I still enjoyed looking at those Pontiacs, they seemed really nice.

Speed could do better, they need to go for more racing and get rid of shows like 2 guy garage, were 2 guys talk about cars for a while. Another one of the things i hate is when they put on the Barett Jackson Car Auctions for 8 hours.
Quote from MAGGOT :Another classic example of BS taking over a good channel. I miss Speedvision

+1.
Only the first episode has aired so far. I think that once this series gets going it will be pretty good. At the very least, it should be better than Forza Motorsport Challenge, since all the teams are starting off with the same car. None of this 500hp Corvette vs 280hp 350Z crap.
Quote from Cue-Ball :Only the first episode has aired so far. I think that once this series gets going it will be pretty good. At the very least, it should be better than Forza Motorsport Challenge, since all the teams are starting off with the same car. None of this 500hp Corvette vs 280hp 350Z crap.

yeah that show really dissapointed me, it had a lot of potential that went nowhere
I'm curious if any of you are still watching this. Team Bridgestone (Ron, Kevin, and Doug) is the team made up of the local autocrossers around here. I actually was racing with Ron and Kevin this weekend. I tried to avoid bugging them too much about the show.

Anyway, the season finally is tonight, and they've made it to the top four. With the final race being a 60 lap race between the remaining 4 teams.
these crap shows will never be as good as top gar !!!!
I will admit. If it wasn't for Team Bridgestone, I most likely wouldn't be watching it.

Cue-ball, do you do any autocrossing in the area?
I've watched every ep so far (everything except the finale). I've really liked the show so far. It's nice to see a bunch of guys racing on a level playing field. I hope they do another season, using the things they've learned this time to make things more fair and consistent. Now that they know what to expect, they can lay down the rules better, before the contest begins.

I would love to have the chance to enter a contest like this. I don't have that much real world track experience, so it would be interesting to see how well sim racing would transition to real racing.
I missed the first episode, so I'm not really sure what happened then. But I wish they would show more about how they're setting up the cars for each race. I also wished they had the other members of the teams more involved, instead of focusing it mainly on the drivers. I also can't stand the damn camera views. You can't tell what the hell is even going on. But still, with having people on it that I know is making up for it.

Oh, and I thought I'd share this with you guys. Here's an autocrossing vid from this weekend. At the end, you'll see me about run over Ron from Team Bridgestone.

http://s54.photobucket.com/alb ... view&current=run2.flv

Time time to go watch the finally on my DVR!
I watched the finale last night and was very disappointed. Not only at who won, but at how the race ended up being run. I don't want to post any spoilers, but I think for season two they really need to change to a points system instead of the "lose and go home" system. That way they could keep a full grid every single race, which would be much more fun to watch.
haven't watched it, but the standard points system would be better, IMO.

oh, and in the forza show, the vette didn't win
Quote from glyphon :oh, and in the forza show, the vette didn't win

No, but it still wasn't a fair fight.

The Corvette did win almost every single event, though. And, he was in first place in the last race until the car broke. Also, not only did he have the lightest and most powerful car, but he also had a multi-time champion as his crew chief, while other teams had hot rod builders and such. Not exactly a level playing field.
Quote from Zewerr :I missed the first episode, so I'm not really sure what happened then. But I wish they would show more about how they're setting up the cars for each race. I also wished they had the other members of the teams more involved, instead of focusing it mainly on the drivers. I also can't stand the damn camera views. You can't tell what the hell is even going on. But still, with having people on it that I know is making up for it.

Oh, and I thought I'd share this with you guys. Here's an autocrossing vid from this weekend. At the end, you'll see me about run over Ron from Team Bridgestone.

http://s54.photobucket.com/alb ... view&current=run2.flv

Time time to go watch the finally on my DVR!

Is that the Typhoon you're running in that video? Looked like a lot of fun to me. I really need to get into autocross, I finally have the car for it, ditched the boat I used to drive.
Quote from Cue-Ball :No, but it still wasn't a fair fight.

The Corvette did win almost every single event, though. And, he was in first place in the last race until the car broke. Also, not only did he have the lightest and most powerful car, but he also had a multi-time champion as his crew chief, while other teams had hot rod builders and such. Not exactly a level playing field.

yeah, even though he lost, i agree totally. that car just absolutely outclassed the other cars it wasn't even funny.

since it was a show promoting the game, they should have based the cars allowed off of the classes defined in the game. but whatever
Quote from Rappa Z :I prefered the Forza show a lot more, that included a lot more racing, and of a hell of a lot of forms of racing(autocross, drag, sprint race, ect.). This seems like it will be more about personalities and teamwork. The should cut a lot of the crap that was on Setup. It seemed like they really had a hard time putting together the show with what they had. I still enjoyed looking at those Pontiacs, they seemed really nice.

Speed could do better, they need to go for more racing and get rid of shows like 2 guy garage, were 2 guys talk about cars for a while. Another one of the things i hate is when they put on the Barett Jackson Car Auctions for 8 hours.

Well I hate to say it but personalities and teamwork make up more of a team than the racing. The racing is only 10% of what really happens. There is a reason why there are a couple weeks at least separating events for racing. It takes hours and hours of preparation to refresh the car, find any potential problem areas ect. You are with your team more hours than you are with your family for the big professional teams and because of that teamwork and personalities are a big part of this. These professional teams spend 8-10 hours a day preparing these cars for a race, when they make it to the track there is more preparation and teamwork is everywhere. While the racing is the most exciting and critical part, it doesn't make much of what has to happen for a team to be successful.

Forza was a farce. Those cars are no where near able to compete with each other the way they put the series on, and the couple ones I watched the driving was worse than something you would see on a demo server! I mean really who in their right mind would intentionally cut a track during a race like that? Entertaining but nothing really valuable came from the program other than showing how kids could drive cars stupidly.

I know lets put 350Z's with a drifter as a driver against a Vette. Then lets add in 3 other live axle rearend heavy outdated Musclecars and see who wins... yeah that was a tough one to call, the second I saw the vette mixed in with those cars there was no question at which car would dominate.
Quote from 96 GTS :Is that the Typhoon you're running in that video? Looked like a lot of fun to me. I really need to get into autocross, I finally have the car for it, ditched the boat I used to drive.

If by Typhoon, you actually mean Syclone, then yes it is! My real autocrossing car currently has the Engine/Trans/Subframe scattered in the garage.

(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG