The online racing simulator
Broadcast Released
(28 posts, started )
Broadcast Released
Good job as usual and expected ^^
Tks Becky. Looking forward for your single-seated license and league.

As stated by Nobo, if you need any help, FPR will be more than happy to assist.
The broadcast was very good. I wish I could say the same for the standard of driving which seems to be slipping a bit. Enough said
Quote from Swiss_Tony :The broadcast was very good. I wish I could say the same for the standard of driving which seems to be slipping a bit. Enough said

you mean in the broadcast or on the servers in general?
Quote from csurdongulos :you mean in the broadcast or on the servers in general?

Im sure he meant during the broadcast. There was quite a bit of errors in the chicane...would have loved to be a sim body repair man, Id have had a killing that round!
The best yet! What a great broadcast, the intro and presentation puts F1 to shame. Dont know what the comment about the driving standards was in relation to. Im sure that most people when asked to do that many laps as fast as they are physically able, would make one or two errors
Yes, of course I mean't the driving in the broadcast

Dynofiend, the standard of driving on the stcc2 server is pretty high and drivers are well used to long distance racing. I think errors should be less common during these races as there's more time to find a rhythm.

I believe that the general standard of racing on the stcc2 server is better than what was shown by this particular race. I just don't think this race reflected that standard very well and I certainly hope it's not seen as being representative. It's only my opinion though, it's not set in stone

I wouldn't patronise the drivers by saying "this is a tricky street circuit with no room for error" You're supposed to drive within your limitations and the changing limitations of your car. Quite frankly, some of the mistakes were "noobish" for want of a better word.

I wouldn't be too critical of the drivers though as there have been quite a few exceptional races. I just hope this one was a "one off"
#8 - SamH
Becky did the math earlier.. 600 chicanes, 5 accidents. Less than 1%. In truth, not bad at all, by any standard.

More importantly than anything, in the broadcast you SEE every single one of those accidents (as you would expect, with any well-directed broadcasting event), but while racing a 35 lap race on the public server on endurance day, you're unlikely to see many at all.. an accident a 3rd or more of the track away is something you probably won't see.. you just see the "suchNsuch pitted" 20 times or more over the length of the race. You don't necessarily connect that with "another one bites the dust in the chicane" when you're busy running your own race. It does happen, though, constantly. They've just Shift+S'd before you get there to see it for yourself.

I didn't, personally, have any accidents during the race. I chose to drive as hard as I could WITHIN the limit.. but then, I'm not contending for the top spot in the drivers' championship.. so my decision not to drive ON the limit was a constructive one. As a result, by the end of the race I was a full lap down.. but I finished, and I picked up a few points for the team. Other drivers felt the need to take risks because there is more for them to shoot for.. and that's true racing spirit, and I can take nothing away from them. Some got caught out, and some others sadly got caught up.

All I'm saying is that the broadcast exposes those "tragic" moments, and I think that the impression you get that there was bad driving is an erroneous illusion. Certainly, accident-per-lap compared with STCC2.

I spend a lot more time spectating in STCC2 than I do racing, and so I can state this with some certainty. The standard is far higher in STCC2 than typically on public servers, but not better than the driving in the STCC league.
Quote from SamH :The standard is far higher in STCC2 than typically on public servers, but not better than the driving in the STCC league.

I did say I was comparing the standard for this particular race alone and not the league as a whole.

I will concede that you do have a point Sam and that maybe my perception is tarnished as I don't see the whole picture when I'm actually racing. I will spectate some races and see if that changes my opinion.

I still think this race wasn't very good in terms of driving quality and certainly didn't compare favaourably with other previous league races in that respect. Some of the instances that drew my attention weren't what you would call full blown accidents either. Just bad lines, barrier and kerb smacking etc.

Quote from SamH :Becky did the math earlier.. 600 chicanes, 5 accidents. Less than 1%. In truth, not bad at all, by any standard.

Ah, statistics What percentage of cars were driving about damaged at some point in the race

Anyhow, it's not such a big deal. They can't all be good
I don't see why it's such a bad thing to have accidents. Well I mean that accidents are bad and all but they do happen and that is one bitch of a track. Especially that chicane. Get the entry slightly wrong and you have your hands full just to get through. And [readers deity of choice] forbid someone has spun there...

But this is supposed to be entertainment! Something exiting has to happen. I couldn't care less about this if it was like F1. Simulated boredom. But thank [the afore mentioned deity] the STCC league is nothing like F1.

Was there in the broadcast anywhere mentioned which cars were the front runners/middle class/back markers? Did I miss it or was it not there?
#11 - Jakg
FXO were dominant, then RB4 then XRT

That chincane IS hard, and if your the quickest driver on the grid (im sure Szabo is better etc, but i'm in an FXO and Redman's disco'ed, and i set the fastest lap in quali) you are under a lot of pressure to keep up, and getting a good line through there is all about getting on the power early and keeping it down on the VERY limit
I used to be fairly good in a FOX around SO Classic, clocking in low 42 lap times back on patch S physics. I've done many thousands of laps there, and quite a few had accidents, i'm not sure if I got under 1% or not - but the drivers in the STCC did.

The exit to that corner is all about the entry, so driving aids do make a subtle difference if your normal online time is spent with those aids on, but that is a practice thing and I expect my drivers to have practiced intently before an event so it would make a feeble excuse, although it's rellevent.

More importantly the pressure of an STCC event is very high, there's 5 timed sessions for each driver with the feature race being the last - so fatigue plays a part too, and the drivers do not start in their natural 'qualifying' positions because we dont have qualifying per se, we have a system designed to 'put on a show', and the outright speed of a league where a good portion of the field have spent the last half a year driving TBO's with lap times in the region of the world record lap after lap... It all adds up, it's part of the recipe that I hope equals excitement .

If the STCC format is doing it's job then you should get a few spills, lots of fights for position, lots of overtakes, some off track drama, and a close finish to the championship.
I will have to agree with Becky here, by the end of the feature your mind is wore out from all the racing. You will probably hear people saying "well it doesn't effect me like that" but then if it's not there is still a reserve left and they could push harder than they are.

Mentally by the end of the session I am exhausted and my reactions are not as quick as they were in the beginning during quali so I make more mistakes.

Saying that I feel that in all of LFS this chicane is one of the hardest corners to get fast consistantly, in order to get it fast you have to virtually brush the car on each of the 4 points of the corners to get it as fast as possible, with the addition of the railroad track upsetting the car it's extremely tricky to rotate the car at maximum slip angle safely without running the chance of sliding wide and clipping a few barriers.

Then people would have said "well you should have gone slower" well thats true you could have like in Sam's case. But then your lap times are affected because everyone else is trying to put in as fast of laps as possible pushing you to do the same if you want to be in the top spots. The one thing that the broadcasts are not really showing is the lap times the front drivers were putting in. Regular lap times were in the low 42's throughout the whole night. Making for about 80-90 laps of the most intense racing you will ever have. (Not by any means saying that STCC has the most intense league enviorment, but it's definatly up there)

This is one of the most hazardous corners in LFS IMO and having an accident rate of less than 1% is awesome for a corner that has no room for error, not even an inch if your trying to your fastest lap possible, everything HAS to be spot on, your entry braking, throttle input, steering input, one of these off even a little bit will earn you at least a brush on the wall or a nice drift in the easiest case, all costing you time.
Quote from Viper93 :Regular lap times were in the low 42's throughout the whole night.

low 52's you mean?
but actually it was a mixture of mid-high 51's and low 52's, for the front runners in the race.
Quote from csurdongulos :low 52's you mean?
but actually it was a mixture of mid-high 51's and low 52's, for the front runners in the race.

Hehe yeah thats what I meant =)
Quote from SamH :...More importantly than anything, in the broadcast you SEE every single one of those accidents (as you would expect, with any well-directed broadcasting event)...

Exactly on both parts. Of all the broadcasts, Round 7 has to be one of my favorites so far. I was cheering and yelling like I was when Valentino Rossi went down in the last race of the 2006 season, giving Nicky Hayden the championship...that means it was very good entertainment.

Anyhoo, off to Round 8...keep up the good work Becky and co.
#17 - Dru
Yeah Nice video,

however one bad point if i can say..

really liked the racing and really liked the results however have one question??

your broadcast is not live is it - ie when you do the commentry?? therefore why not at the end of the broadcast give the official results?? i was VERY surprised that most people had been DSQ'ed for earlier offences?

Also on that same note, can qualifying events not be done earlier so that then the people in the final will not get DSQ's for things which happened in earlier rounds??

Just my 2 pence and overall i really love what you are doing with this whole Broadcast thing
#18 - Jakg
what do you mean? if you got rid of all the people who got DSQ'ed then you would have a Race like the 2005 US GP!
Quote :your broadcast is not live is it - ie when you do the commentry?? therefore why not at the end of the broadcast give the official results??

Two reasons:

1) Hook: It creates a point of interest to tune in the next show to find out what happened, or for those really keen, to investigate the website and find the stewarding results. In other words, it's part of the entertainment.
2) Corporate Needs: By deferring viewers to Auto Sim Sport we get more favourable coverage/treatment. Better prominence in ASS makes us more visible to non-LFS'rs, which means more viewers for us and more racers in LFS.

Quote :can qualifying events not be done earlier so that then the people in the final will not get DSQ's for things which happened in earlier rounds??

Logistically it is not possible, and would always result in a less than full grid. If we held the event over 2 or more days (Inspecting 30 drivers cant be done in an hour) then some drivers would always be able to do one or the other session but not both, meaning people would qualify who dont start, and people are able to start but didnt qualify.
#20 - Dru
@Becky

I see what you mean about hook, but unfortunately it takes a long time for the next round, so hardly the same hook as the end of an episode of eastenders which only has you hanging 24 hours....

ok nevermind, what about a 'very quick' update broadcast that is posted on your website, a bit like a 'news from the stewards section'

seems a shame that (unless i'm looking in the wrong position - if i am please tell me) that you watch a great broadcast race, then have to look at the league results - see the disqualifications, then go to the stewards desk posts to try and see why certain people have been dsq'd - all a bit fragmented really.

Would it we possible to say get the video of the dsq's uploaded as a mini 60 second round up that shows what drivers where disqualifed and the footage of why with then a posted updated results table, kind of linking it all together?

@Jak,

Nah, a bit like Pecker did and the other guy, they KNEW they had commited an offence therefore they gave up their places to allow people who would not have been able to take part race.... i.e. filling there shoes.

so say all the people who had got dsq's from qualifiying their places would have been filled by the next best XRT for zsabo for instance or the next best RB4 for pinola etc etc..

Quote from Becky Rose :Logistically it is not possible, and would always result in a less than full grid.

I read in AutoSimSport a couple of months ago that you had over 5000 racers clamouring to get into your league. So surely this wouldn't be an issue?

Edit: Yes I am aware that this is typical of the silly exaggeration produced by the ASS each month, no need to reply.
Running a league with (now nearly 10,000) drivers is impossible, it also creates inconsistency for the viewer. Whilst we have lots of licenced drivers (and in fairness whilst a great number of them would like to be in the league i'm sure some dont) we only allow 30 starting drivers for the league. I may have a lot of servers and infrastructure, but I couldn't handle an event that size in the STCC format... I am planning to run such a league though ... hehe, sortah: The logitech rally will not be limited on entries.
#23 - Jakg
Quote from thisnameistaken :I read in AutoSimSport a couple of months ago that you had over 5000 racers clamouring to get into your league. So surely this wouldn't be an issue?

Their words, not Becky, a little bending of the truth is what i "like" about ASS

EDIT - OOps, white text!
Quote from Dru :
@Jak,

Nah, a bit like Pecker did and the other guy, they KNEW they had commited an offence therefore they gave up their places to allow people who would not have been able to take part race.... i.e. filling there shoes.

so say all the people who had got dsq's from qualifiying their places would have been filled by the next best XRT for zsabo for instance or the next best RB4 for pinola etc etc..

yes, but we only had 2 drivers who wouldn't quali - so she picked 2 drivers she saw reset (even though she knew others) and asked them if they'd like to move over, any more and we wouldn't have had a full grid
I suppose that's going to work in a similar way to Victor's autox compo? Someone ought to organise a series based around that tbh (autox for a few different car classes). If I wasn't always so depressingly busy I would attempt it myself.
I've got it half coded at the moment, but with INSIM v2 on it's way i've decided to halt all STCC software development until v2 arrives, else i'm doing stuff I will have to remake again afterwards. Basically it's a multi-stage version of Victors script, with some other cool STCC-like features

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG