The online racing simulator
STCC Round 7 (Full Race Broadcast)
(92 posts, started )
#26 - Vain
Quote from hackerx :Heh OK, it just seemed to me bit like random pickup race on public server, given the number of unsuccessful chicane exits.

That's true. That's mostly down to the pace and tension in the race.
My 'unsuccessful' exit at lap two was caused by never successfully settling into a rythm, other drivers were driving just inches behind the tail of another car, and more drivers were just driving on the absolute edge.
If LFS simulated damage to the side mirrors I guess almost every car would have lost it's left side mirror at that chicane. If you leave more space you're off pace, at least if you want a top 15 finish.

[Edit]
And Jack, stop claiming it's because driving is too difficult. You drive a FWD!

Vain
#27 - Jakg
i drive a FWD? so what? that thing like to oversteer - yes, it's faster, but it's still hard to keep it through that chicane, putting the throttle down half way through the chicane and keeping it flat out on the exit, on the VERY limit of grip else i'll clip the wall (as i did!). It may be easier than the XRT, but its still tough - ie full throttle through the underpass, keeping it tidy on the last corner and that EVIL chicane
downloading

i wish my back was better so i could drive lfs again
#29 - SamH
I just want to say that I agree with Jak.. the absence of throttle blip, added to the unevenness of the road, very much makes the angle of your exit from the chicane totally dependent on the way you entered it. You really DO have to set up your path through the chicane, in the STCC, long before you begin to brake to enter it.

Probably more than any other complex I've driven, in fact.. including RallyX jumps or Eau Rouge, the SO Classic chicane, with the STCC mandatory car configuration, is the hardest complex to negotiate in LFS.
Great production, the driving was a bit messy but the track is tricky and with everyone pushing so hard its bound to happen. I am really suprised at the number of people forgetting or just plain breaking the rules considering its round 7, its basic stuff not to shift+s or reset and drivers of this standard should really do better and not break those rules.

9/10 for this one, I felt the early shots of the track were a bit messy and perhaps could have been better if they were filmed using a slow lap of the track, and fixing the camera to follow the car instead of using the arrow keys to do the fly by stuff.

EDIT: Also the commentating...well I know your not professionals but the main format for all commentating is to have a complete idiot, and then a smart one. Becky sounds too wierd getting over excited because I sense you just want to explain why the crash happened rather than scream about it. Its funny though when you 2 keep interrupting giving your versions of why things happened :P Basically you want a Murry Walker and Martin Brundle, not 2 Martins
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Great production, the driving was a bit messy but the track is tricky and with everyone pushing so hard its bound to happen. I am really suprised at the number of people forgetting or just plain breaking the rules considering its round 7, its basic stuff not to shift+s or reset and drivers of this standard should really do better and not break those rules.

with round 7 came regulation changes in the format of the qualifying, whereas before we had 3 minutes, which resulted in 3, max 4 flying laps. in this round we had 10 minutes, where you might have wanted to pit, now this was the point where people (noobs like me :P) forgot about the shift+s rule and when they were coasting back to pits to make some changes, they telepitted. also some of us have been playing LFS for 2-3-4 years now and the shift+s or esc and then select pit is a reflex, which is very hard to get rid of.

the original intention of this rule was to avoid cars telepitting in the broadcasts, now the qualifying is not shown on the broadcast, so you can easily forget about it. at least I did and my championship points are really sad about that
Ah ok fair enough, no excuses next time though!
#34 - Jakg
Quote from ATC Quicksilver :Great production, the driving was a bit messy but the track is tricky and with everyone pushing so hard its bound to happen. I am really suprised at the number of people forgetting or just plain breaking the rules considering its round 7, its basic stuff not to shift+s or reset and drivers of this standard should really do better and not break those rules.

i was (afaik) the only driver to reset - i hit a kerb (twice! one on pit entrance at the end of the race, once on the last turn by running too close!) and landed on my side - everyone else Shift + S'ed because we know have 10 minute runs, and the best quali sets are probably best for 5 minute stints (but only abotu 3 of those are at racing speed with tyres warm enough for good laps - ie with tyres running warm enough to take the underpass flat out), and as it's new a lot of people plain forgot (as usual, it seems like every two rounds we get a new quali system! Im not complaining (now) but learning all this stuff makes us rather thick drivers forget the basics! :schwitz

PS - If you need a complete idiot to commnetate, drag Sam in
Quote from SamH :I just want to say that I agree with Jak.. the absence of throttle blip, added to the unevenness of the road, very much makes the angle of your exit from the chicane totally dependent on the way you entered it. You really DO have to set up your path through the chicane, in the STCC, long before you begin to brake to enter it.

Probably more than any other complex I've driven, in fact.. including RallyX jumps or Eau Rouge, the SO Classic chicane, with the STCC mandatory car configuration, is the hardest complex to negotiate in LFS.

I somehow don't see a connection with an absence of throttle blip and the chicane :zombie: . Driving through there is all the focus of the driver, and you can't blame a driving aid, flatspots, etc. As Becky said, it was probably the pressure, and I'd put my money on that.

But Jack, no worries, the SO1 chicane is feared by a lot of drivers, and is probably the most common place of error on any LFS track alongside FE Green chicane . (Hey that track is coming up in Round 9, weeee Get your wings ready!)

Still, as hackerx said, there were A LOT of accidents, and it did seem like many drivers had a bit of fatigue or loss of focus.
I too feel the absence of throttle blip is a bit cheap as an excuse... It's not that much of a difference and adjusting actually isn't that hard as you want to make it look like... I've always been doing fine without them, even in way longer races than those the STCC features...
#37 - Jakg
fair enough - care to show some of the "n00by moves" your talking about?
#38 - Vain
Quote from Jakg :fair enough - care to show some of the "n00by moves" your talking about?

Didn't you see the broadcast?
Self-criticsm isn't your strong point, is it?

None of the drivers make mistakes when they drive on their own. Half the field does laps within .5% of the WR. Sub-WR times aren't seldom at all. There is a stiff competition, the safety margin is small and pressure is high. On a track like So1 that's bound to cause some bent panels.
I was a victim of my own pressure in lap 2 and I admit it. But that's the point of the STCC race format. All in all I had a lot fun driving that race even though p5 is a bit underwhelming, but my battles during the race were a lot fun (unfortunatly you didn't get to see much of it).

Vain
#39 - Jakg
whats n00by about being so quick you can pass a car BEFORE the line? common, gimme extra points not a nice big DQ!

i think all my moves (besides the one above, the second i did it John shouted "don't overtake me before the line you idiot" in my ear and he was back in front before the underpass) were fairly good, although my little scrape with the wall was a little stupid
Do you guys have a rule to people exiting the pits? Because when the safety car came out near the end, one car came out of the pits and crossed the line really early in front of traffic. I guess it didn't matter because passing wasn't allowed??
#41 - Vain
The rule is "If you cross the line and you're involved in an incident it was your fault."
So if you cross the line and there is no incident it's all fine. But if there are other cars around we stay clear of the line.

* I'm uploading a few onboard scenes from Heat 2A, one of the qualifying races.

Vain
Great broadcast!, something that made me chuckle

Becky saying that "someone had entered her without her permission"
Well tbh I do not know all the ins & outs of the situation but I would have to sympathise with you there, as this always seems to happen to me .
im surprised no one gambled on a full course yellow to make his compulsory pit stop and beat the pace car out to gain a lap

alright about the vid:
- really coppy at times with lots of cars in view
- like others said already the commentating was a bit low in volume
- i didnt like the cheesy cuts to replays
otherwise great work as always
SPOILER!
Attached images
stcc7.jpg
^^ I don't get
Shot, I tryed that but it didn't work out

@herki
#47 - SamH
Quote from bbman :I too feel the absence of throttle blip is a bit cheap as an excuse...

An excuse? For what? Me crashing in the chicane? I didn't!

It's my observation of negotiating the chicane, decelerating on approach, a highly unstable vehicle, being very much at the mercy of the physics inside the chicane, and praying for a clean exit window. Having driven every chicane in every track configuration in an RB4 at least once, this is my observation.

I'm not interested in making excuses for anyone else, and no need at all to make excuses for myself, thanks very much.
Quote :im surprised no one gambled on a full course yellow to make his compulsory pit stop and beat the pace car out to gain a lap

They actually couldn't because the safety car came out on the last lap of the pit window. The trick with pit stops and safety cars is to pit as you are catching the queue, but because the pits are so long we deployed the safety car from the turning circle after T1 (Beckton Hairpin), meaning any driver who dived for the pitlane straight away actually lost a lap because the safety car passed them whilst they where in the pits - and if they'd waited an extra lap it would have been game over anyway.

Quote :Becky saying that "someone had entered her without her permission"

Really? When? lol.

Quote :really coppy at times with lots of cars in view

Yes, i've upgraded my CPU but it still suffers a little when lots of cars are in view. Between seasons I might spend some time developing some camera recording software, i've tried before but i'm just pushed for time and it's not that simple.

Quote :- like others said already the commentating was a bit low in volume

Yes I agree, I will try to spend more time on the audio next round.

Quote :- i didnt like the cheesy cuts to replays

I do! They've done similar things in real racing in the past too, I think it helps to clearly denote that what you are watching is a replay. I'm actually thinking of dropping the 'R' in the corner and just having the sphere effect.

Quote :I don't get

The very last scene is not to everyone's humour. Some people even commented that i'd made an error at the end... I think it's funny though, and it's made a few people laugh . In case anyone needs it explaining... Mr Dawes breaks camera 2.
Quote from Becky Rose :Yes, i've upgraded my CPU but it still suffers a little when lots of cars are in view. Between seasons I might spend some time developing some camera recording software, i've tried before but i'm just pushed for time and it's not that simple.

like i said earlier ... talk to misterx on the can and see if his software works for you
Quote from SamH :An excuse? For what? Me crashing in the chicane? I didn't!

It's my observation of negotiating the chicane, decelerating on approach, a highly unstable vehicle, being very much at the mercy of the physics inside the chicane, and praying for a clean exit window. Having driven every chicane in every track configuration in an RB4 at least once, this is my observation.

I'm not interested in making excuses for anyone else, and no need at all to make excuses for myself, thanks very much.

No, but for crashing in the chicane in general... AFAIK, you shift down BEFORE the chicane, so especially throttle blip should make no difference at all... Of course, going in with a car highly unsettled is suicide, but it is if blip were on too... As I said, it doesn't get that much harder, it isn't such an overwhelming change, there surely was enough time to prepare since the last race had the aid ban too, so excusing everything with something this unimportant is beyond my understanding...

STCC Round 7 (Full Race Broadcast)
(92 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG