The online racing simulator
Server Down
(37 posts, started )
Quote :if its a rackmount then it doesn't take long to order and build. Even less time to order pre-built, and often cheaper these days, they should be freaking out with their suppliers.

I originally went to them discussing a 4U server i'd picked up, but as you probably know (I didnt then) it just didn't make financial sense. They offer U racks, but they also put a rack of shelves on them that can take the servers they build for leasing using mini-ATX cases (6 in the space of 4U). I just happened to ask them what box to use and rented that space instead of 1U.
#27 - SamH
The best and only advice I can offer, Karl, is to NOT buy anything connecting through RapidSwitch. I'm beginning to conclude (and so is Jay, our ISP) that they are, to datacentres, what PlusNet are to end-users.
I just spoke to l33t hosting again and it seems the reason the new rack is not built isn't a problem with the Ikea manual (although I did ask ), but because they want to move to a new transit provider and are holding off until they have switched.
Quote from SamH :The best and only advice I can offer, Karl, is to NOT buy anything connecting through RapidSwitch. I'm beginning to conclude (and so is Jay, our ISP) that they are, to datacentres, what PlusNet are to end-users.

Meh, I've discovered that to my detriment, despite warnings.

Quite frankly I'm getting fed up with coloc issues in the UK. Either its cheap and its crap, or its ridiculously expensive for a decent speed. I can honestly recommend ValueServer.de for bargain basement rented boxes, or Staminus.net for good quality, DDoS-protected, sensibly priced, with provision for physical private networking. I cant seem to find much in between, or in the UK, though I'm just coming to the conclusion rented ftw; at least the hardware isn't my worry at least.
Quote from Becky Rose :I just spoke to l33t hosting again and it seems the reason the new rack is not built isn't a problem with the Ikea manual (although I did ask ), but because they want to move to a new transit provider and are holding off until they have switched.

That doesn't make much sense and I think that yanking your chain. Unless I am mis-defining what a transit provider is. (I wish you Brits would speak English. )

If a transit provider is the entity which is providing the hosting company with a data line to the Internet, then why should a change in that cause a rack not to be deployed? The rack (and your equipment) would not be directly connected to that up-stream ISP. Your stuff is connected to the Hoster's internal network. An ISP change would be done at the Hoster's MPOE (Main point of entry).
#31 - SamH
The current transit provider occupies 2 floors of the datacentre where Becky's new server will be (and the existing server already is). Changing provider will involve moving away from those two floors to another floor in the same building.
What in the heck is a transit provider, then? The people that provide the rack space and 'Net connection? An ISP is, to us colonials, an Internet Service Provider who just provides one or my IP addresses. Sometimes an ISP also offers a physical connection to the Internet via telephone, Cable, satellite, or commercial DS/OC lines.

On the other hand, what we call a CoLo is a "co-location" provider. Also known as a "hoster". These are the people we call up if we don't want to have a server in our house/company and/or need more bandwidth than we could otherwise get since a CoLo will generally have a massive connection to one of the Internet backbones.

So what's a "transit provider'? Its true that we are a group of people separated by common language.
Quote :So what's a "transit provider'? Its true that we are a group of people separated by common language

The guy they leased the van from, which is obviously a Ford Transit.

Next question please, I'm good tonight
#34 - SamH
Quote from animal1313 :So what's a "transit provider'? Its true that we are a group of people separated by common language.

hehe.. yep, basically the ISP at the server end. The cost of connecting directly to a backbone to the Internet is high, and so the cost is distributed among many transit providers, or ISPs, who themselves often resell portions of their "pipes".. and so it filters down to many companies/people like us, who just use a few terabytes per month, and just want one uncontested 100mbit connection to the internet for our server. We don't need more than that so we just find someone who will sell us the bandwidth and rent us the shelf space at the datacentre to stick our server on.
Have ALL Servers Just Gone Down 12 midnight - Got Disconnected From 1B and now non are showing on Master server
I'm told that the computer was restarted. They should be running again already.
Cheers there back

Server Down
(37 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG