The online racing simulator
Idiot moment - Insim Race Tracking Packets verification
Either I'm having a very stupid moment, or I've managed to misunderstand the InSim docs for quite sometime...

The race tracking packets are supposed to be verified by an ACK packet with the verify word as the value. If you don't send the correct ACK back, it should continue sending me the same packet? It appears that if I send any old ACK packet it assumes I've received it.

Example;
connect your InSim app to your host game and join with another client. InSim receives an NCN packet and my app sends back a standard ACK packet. NCN never gets resent. Same goes for all packets, as far as I can tell.
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof
I swear I had to do it in some previous versions of InSim, which is what confused me.

To be honest, if it is a bug then I quite like it. If it's a misunderstanding on my part, then I'm an idiot
Flags in InSimInit packet : set the relevant bits to turn on the option :

#define ISF_RACE_TRACKING 1 // bit 0 : turns on race tracking
#define ISF_GUARANTEE 2 // bit 1 : turns on guaranteed delivery
#define ISF_SPLIT_MESSAGE 4 // bit 2 : use MSS, not MSO for user messages
#define ISF_NO_WARNINGS 8 // bit 3 : turns off packet warnings
#define ISF_KEEP_ALIVE 16 // bit 4 : makes lfs send keep alive packets
#define ISF_NLP_MCI 32 // bit 5 : makes lfs send MCI instead of NLP

Is guaranteed delivery on?
:doh:

I fear I've fallen for this in the past. The wording of
Quote :You must send an aknowledgment reply to LFS after receiving these packets, or
LFS will try to send them again.

Is somewhat misleading if this is the case..
Has that guaranteed delivery thing been overdone now? I'm just wondering, I've just kept using that for all the new packets. Please let me know if some of them really shouldn't have the guaranteed delivery switched on.
I don't think it is overdone. I actually think that it can be usefull for any packet that isn't sent at some predefined rate rather then when some event happens. I don't know if there would be any disadvantages of giving all new packets guarantueed delivery, but if there aren't any, I think one day someone will benefit from it.
I think it´s fine like it is at the moment.
Given you have to explicitly tell it to use guaranteed delivery, I'm happy with it as it is
Quote from Scawen :Has that guaranteed delivery thing been overdone now? I'm just wondering, I've just kept using that for all the new packets. Please let me know if some of them really shouldn't have the guaranteed delivery switched on.

which new packets? i use the guaranteed delivery
Well, I just meant the packets recently added in Patch W. I guess you know about them already, but if not, they are marked "NEW" in the InSim.txt file.
I would use guaranteed delivery but the verify byte always moved in the packet so it cannot be dealt with until every packet type is processed in some way, which just makes it a pain.
Well it's always the last word, isn't it?
Yes you have also process the some packets you don´t use.
But it´s not such a big pain in my eyes
-
(MonkOnHotTinRoof) DELETED by MonkOnHotTinRoof

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG