The online racing simulator
Safety cars
(20 posts, started )
Safety cars
Myabe on big races in a real LFS series should have a warm up lap lead by a safety car driven by AI to warm up their tyres up.

just a thought
Nooby McNoob woz 'ere
both those links didn't work
hehe yea ur right.
Search IDs expire so the links become invalid. You have to link to actual threads if you want them to work for more than a day or so.

hankstar = forum newb
lol pwnd! My bad Next time I'll just say "search, beeatch!"
That would be cool but with the option of having a real human driver since the AI can't hold a steady speed or go fast without doing something dumb.
year... actually, untill the AI is improved very well, it would be enought to give the admins of a server the option to switch to Safety Car mode. In this mode you wouldn't be in the classification. Maybe one of the cars (e.g. the RAC or FZ5) could be included in two versions. (one with lights on the roof, one without like the UF1 existing with and without roof) But that only the one person in Safety Car mode can use this version.
For a human controlled safety car I dont think it needs a special car, lights on top would be nice but all it really needs is a special skin. An AI safety car would be good, provided it was deployed and called in by admin command. It doesnt matter that the AI cannot drive well, it's purpose is simply to pootle about and not drive into whatever accident is on track. The drivers do the rest (and usually this appears to be driving into each other at low speed)

It's really something that will only ever be seen in leagues, and at the moment leagues that do this use a Human being - the disadvantage i've had in the past is that it has meant that I have had difficulty typing race control messages whilst driving the safety car, so now we have two admins for race day.
Quote from Becky Rose :For a human controlled safety car I dont think it needs a special car, lights on top would be nice but all it really needs is a special skin. An AI safety car would be good, provided it was deployed and called in by admin command. It doesnt matter that the AI cannot drive well, it's purpose is simply to pootle about and not drive into whatever accident is on track. The drivers do the rest (and usually this appears to be driving into each other at low speed)

It's really something that will only ever be seen in leagues, and at the moment leagues that do this use a Human being - the disadvantage i've had in the past is that it has meant that I have had difficulty typing race control messages whilst driving the safety car, so now we have two admins for race day.

An AI controlled SC would be very good - but it should have to be admin deployed. I.E. /SC_deploy and /SC_in. The lights should go out when the in command is signalled.
I don't see why an AI safety car wouldn't work. The reason racing the AI is a pain now is because they want to win. Take out the competition and just have them try to keep the pace for a couple of laps and it would be fine. And nobody would be trying to overtake them so them not giving any space wouldn't be an issue.

I assume the number of laps could be set by an admin using an altered F12 menu with an option to complete x number of laps.

The only difficulty would then be getting them on to and off of the track
Quote from Dajmin :I don't see why an AI safety car wouldn't work. The reason racing the AI is a pain now is because they want to win. Take out the competition and just have them try to keep the pace for a couple of laps and it would be fine. And nobody would be trying to overtake them so them not giving any space wouldn't be an issue.

I assume the number of laps could be set by an admin using an altered F12 menu with an option to complete x number of laps.

The only difficulty would then be getting them on to and off of the track

With an AI SC I assume the AI would use the pit entrance and exit.
Quote from pearcy_2k7 :Myabe on big races in a real LFS series should have a warm up lap lead by a safety car driven by AI to warm up their tyres up.

just a thought

Warm up their tyres...? I dont understand how to warm tyres up on one lap unless you give it some proper driting
Quote from harjun :Warm up their tyres...? I dont understand how to warm tyres up on one lap unless you give it some proper driting

In Nascar, it is a big misconception that during the pace laps before a race, it is for warming up the tires. You will see cars weaving back and forth during the pace lap and during caution laps. This is the drivers cleaning all the gunk off their tires rather than for warming them up.

I don't know about other racing series, but with Nascar, the pace laps also serves for drivers to see what rpm would be the pitroad speed. The pace lap is done at pitroad speed and the drivers need to see where on the tachometer that speed is since they don't have speedometers.
Quote from mrodgers :I don't know about other racing series, but with Nascar, the pace laps also serves for drivers to see what rpm would be the pitroad speed. The pace lap is done at pitroad speed and the drivers need to see where on the tachometer that speed is since they don't have speedometers.

Can't they just put electronic limiters on like everyone else?
They could, but they are probably scared that it would introduce a way to activate some traction control.
Quote from kevman_101 :They could, but they are probably scared that it would introduce a way to activate some traction control.

How much use would traction control be on an oval ...
I personally cannot stand rolling starts during a race. I like just taking off as hard as you can and only have the pace car out when someone crashes, stalls, or leaks fluid all over the track.
Quote from skstibi :I personally cannot stand rolling starts during a race. I like just taking off as hard as you can and only have the pace car out when someone crashes, stalls, or leaks fluid all over the track.

The safety car is used in real racing - this is more of a league suggestion.

Safety cars
(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG