The online racing simulator
The demise of the FO8? [.... now The Resurgence of the FO8]
There seem to be very few servers offering racing in the FO8 these days. Is it because of the arrival of the BF1? Or is it just too much of a challenge for people to drive?

Anyway, I've recently discovered the joys of driving this car at the limit so I thought I might create an FO8 server that will rotate between suitable combos for this car. I also want to concentrate on combos that are less popular.

Circuits I think are ideal are:

Aston Historic & Reverse
Aston GP & Reverse
Aston Touring & Reverse
Aston North & Reverse
Kyoto GP & Reverse
Blackwood GP Reverse

But I'm wondering if anyone will come join me. Ideas and suggestions welcomed.

GF
Add SO Long to it, and I'll be racing

SO Long is great fun to drive with the BF1 without TC on, so I'll guess an FO8 would be a funny to
i'm up for it. i haven't driven the open wheeled cars much, but i figure the FOX is too slow, and the BF1 is too fast, so the F08 should be the ticket.
Well, with the OLFSL race coming up I'll be racing the FO8 on As historic reverse as much as possible (which will probably not be much seeing that I don't have time, but I'll try).
Quote from Linsen :Well, with the OLFSL race coming up I'll be racing the FO8 on As historic reverse as much as possible (which will probably not be much seeing that I don't have time, but I'll try).

The more I think about AS Historic Reverse in this car the more excited I get. I will set the server up tonight with that combo. I will call it GentlefootFO8Racing. 8 laps of this circuit should be sufficient to allow people to be patient before attempting a pass. That should stop all that 5 lap race, risky passing manouvre nonsense you often get on public servers.

Hope to see you there.

btw - I don't stand for any nonsense so any arguing or rudeness regardless of the circumstances will likely result in a ban so just clean friendly racers please. Slow is fine, rude or inconsiderate is not
Kyoto 2 & 2R are quite nice with this thing too. I'd be defenately in if you are planning on something FO8-related
Quote from Hyperactive :Kyoto 2 & 2R are quite nice with this thing too. I'd be defenately in if you are planning on something FO8-related

Been doing that combo recently and you're right. It is a good combo in this car. I do find it boring in many cars but the FO8 makes things interesting. I haven't included it in my list simply because I'be been driving there recently.
I'd sign up for any series I can find with this car - it's so much more challenging and fun than the FOX and the BF1 just leaves me cold. I'm lucky enough to get a top class 75 minute race with these every fortnight thanks to OWRL.

KY GP Long is an awesome track with this car, but I'll speak up for SO Long and SO Town which you didn't mention previosly.
Quote from Storm_Cloud :I'd sign up for any series I can find with this car - it's so much more challenging and fun than the FOX and the BF1 just leaves me cold. I'm lucky enough to get a top class 75 minute race with these every fortnight thanks to OWRL.

KY GP Long is an awesome track with this car, but I'll speak up for SO Long and SO Town which you didn't mention previosly.

hmm - sure SO Town and Long are nice circuits but I find them frustrating and the quick succession of corners means I don't blink enough and my eyes get sore lol.

What I would like to do is a different format from all other public servers. Maybe 20 mins qualifying followed by a longer race - say 15 laps. If there's some quali time before the race in theory there should be less accidents.

Problem is this will only work if there are a good number of racers on the server. Would need at least 10-15 to make a 15 lap race interesting what with all the dropouts.
Here's an idea.

To get the numbers up maybe I set a time for the race now.

OK, I will schedule a race for 21:00 BST tonight (10th April). The server will be open from 18:30 for short races (5 laps) until 20:00. Then there will be an hour of qualifying prior to the race. This will give us all time to learn the circuit, work on setup and calculate the necessary fuel.

The race will be 15 laps of Aston Historic Reverse. The lap is just over two minutes so the race will be around 30 mins. No pitstop required.

If the race is a success then there will be another at 22:00 BST.

Sound any good?
There are a few quite nice servers runnig the FO8, where u can have good races! For example the EVERLAST-RACING server runs mostly FO8, with a lot of nice guys from OWRL DivA online.
Quote from foofighter :There are a few quite nice servers runnig the FO8, where u can have good races! For example the EVERLAST-RACING server runs mostly FO8, with a lot of nice guys from OWRL DivA online.

Was on there last night but the races only had about 5 people in them. Need to drum up some interest
ill be there if you put on fern bay black heck ill be there if the server says f08 .
I don't mind taking out the FO8 now and then, but I find the longer Aston configs a bit dull. North is nice because it cuts out a lot of the dull full-throttle sections and the gay chicane onto the main straight, but National/Historic/GP just bore me to death.
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't mind taking out the FO8 now and then, but I find the longer Aston configs a bit dull. North is nice because it cuts out a lot of the dull full-throttle sections and the gay chicane onto the main straight, but National/Historic/GP just bore me to death.

What - even in the FO8? I can understand it in the FOX and other slower cars. Having said that I think Historic in the FOX is a blinding combo.
Quote from Gentlefoot :What - even in the FO8? I can understand it in the FOX and other slower cars.

I'd say they're even more boring in the FO8 than they are in the road cars because it's glued in all the high-speed corners. I suppose at least there's less thumb-twiddling time between the corners, but the corners themselves get a bit less interesting. Swings and roundabouts...
Quote from Gentlefoot :What - even in the FO8? I can understand it in the FOX and other slower cars. Having said that I think Historic in the FOX is a blinding combo.

Any of the longer tracks in the FO8 are going to be great....i'll be dropping by tonight for sure...hope someone's got a good setup for me

Quote from Storm_Cloud :the BF1 just leaves me cold

Bah...did 15 laps at SO long last night and it left me in a right old sweat
Quote from thisnameistaken :I don't mind taking out the FO8 now and then, but I find the longer Aston configs a bit dull. North is nice because it cuts out a lot of the dull full-throttle sections and the gay chicane onto the main straight, but National/Historic/GP just bore me to death.

Hm, I'm finding historic reverse rather nice in the FO8. Several interesting sections with a great variety of turns, imho. But maybe I just feel that way because I'm really not used to driving the FO8, yet. I haven't been driving it online at all, I think -- yes, a glimpse at my laps chart confirms: 1 lap at BL. That's it.

Well, I'll try to be on your server tonight, gentlefoot. Can't promise anything, though, as I have to see what the missus says .
GF I would be willing to twin my server with yours to run the fo8, perhaps in a similar way to Redline and their Fox servers. I rekon that would draw more people in, especially if they used an insim system like on Redline.
My biggest problem with the FO8 is I can't find any race sets for it other than easy race. My attempts at making and modifying sets have generally resulted in disaster so I'm stuck with easy race for anything more than 5 laps.

I'd be very greatful if anyone could post a few fastish but stable race sets. This car just feels amazing with WR sets and I find it very frustrating that I can't find a decent race set. I used to have some but unfortunately I've lost them in a reformat.
Quote from ajp71 :My biggest problem with the FO8 is I can't find any race sets for it

Yup, it's the only reason i don't race it more, or the BF1 for that matter.

A good(fast ) base setup for decent length races for both those cars would be much appreciated.
Most hotlap setups actually last a long time, the problem is people think they should be able to drive flat out for 15 laps without killing the tyres. You just need to be smooth and careful with the throttle, it may cost you a few tenths but it makes the tyres last.
Quote from Gentlefoot :Here's an idea.

To get the numbers up maybe I set a time for the race now.

OK, I will schedule a race for 21:00 BST tonight (10th April). The server will be open from 18:30 for short races (5 laps) until 20:00. Then there will be an hour of qualifying prior to the race. This will give us all time to learn the circuit, work on setup and calculate the necessary fuel.

The race will be 15 laps of Aston Historic Reverse. The lap is just over two minutes so the race will be around 30 mins. No pitstop required.

If the race is a success then there will be another at 22:00 BST.

Sound any good?

is BST=GMT? i'm timezone impaired here in the far west, but i'll be there if i can.
Quote from evilgeek :is BST=GMT? i'm timezone impaired here in the far west, but i'll be there if i can.

BST is British Summer Time (or Bering Summer Time, but I doubt that's meant here ) and thus it should be UTC/GMT+1.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG